Not sure how to word this or how it will be recieved (green newbies) (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When I first joined, Feb 13, my first post which I now can't find was a desperate need for help, or more specifically I wanted someone to say I had done the right thing, as I cant now find the post and my memory will not allow recall beyond about 48 hours, unless more than 48 years I don't now know how it worked for me

I do know I never even bothered with the 'introduce yourself' bit, my need for reassurance was far too important for that, so one day soon I really should go back and introduce myself properly

Even though I did not follow protocol, or maybe it was because I didn't, I now have issues with non paying memebers diving in with deep questions before they have paid to join

Now in fairness to myself here, I paid (or at least I think I did) before posting anything

But when I see a post in green with anything other than Hi, my name is etc I feel I don't want to reply

Is it just me??

I do feel a little guilty when the status turns blue, but an awful lot never do

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
When I first joined, Feb 13, my first post which I now can't find was a desperate need for help, or more specifically I wanted someone to say I had done the right thing, as I cant now find the post and my memory will not allow recall beyond about 48 hours, unless more than 48 years I don't now know how it worked for me

I do know I never even bothered with the 'introduce yourself' bit, my need for reassurance was far too important for that, so one day soon I really should go back and introduce myself properly

Even though I did not follow protocol, or maybe it was because I didn't, I now have issues with non paying memebers diving in with deep questions before they have paid to join

Now in fairness to myself here, I paid (or at least I think I did) before posting anything

But when I see a post in green with anything other than Hi, my name is etc I feel I don't want to reply

Is it just me??

I do feel a little guilty when the status turns blue, but an awful lot never do
I always look at the posts and judge each one on how I feel at the time......

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
everybody else might see it my way
NO..:LOL:..
Even if their first post is a question.... what better way to encourage them to join with a friendly helpful answer...
I'm sure that's what you would do if you could help:)..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
NO..:LOL:..
Even if their first post is a question.... what better way to encourage them to join with a friendly helpful answer...
I'm sure that's what you would do if you could help:)..
Andy.

that could just be the answer Andy, I rarely know the answer to the questions and even if I do somebody else gets in first :LOL::LOL:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
that could just be the answer Andy, I rarely know the answer to the questions and even if I do somebody else gets in first :LOL::LOL:
Youer been modest....:)
Not all questions are necessarily technical ...and you have a wealth of experience and very we'll travelled...
See I do read your posts :LOL: and will be picking your brains on Scotland and the islands soon I hope...
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Has the new van landed yet @andy63 ?
The dealer has it.. waiting for the registration from dvla ..
Pick it up beginning of May, but as I was telling you it needs a few jobs doing before its fit for purpose. .. :LOL:..
Have you any more news on yours??
Andy.
Hope David doesn't mind us hijacking his thread lol.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I've noticed this too David, can be a little annoying when folk take the time to try helping them out and the OP doesnt even come back to say thanks.

I don't think the greenies should even have access to the tech threads til they cough up.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The reason I joined was because of the wealth of answers to questions and the speed the answers came in at. It was all quicker than any other forum I looked at where a query was often left unanswered or took a week. Also you seemed to get a variety of opinions and no query is treated as wrong. Thats a strength of the forum, had I seen people ask a question and it be ignored or replies saying pay up it would not be the same and put people off.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm sure we can all come up with example threads. :) Many of which die of death before the 5th post from the OP. If everyone took the attitude of just going to a forum when help was needed then there would be no paid members,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As we are having a whinge, here is my pet hate - threads which start with " Hi Guys".

Same as if a waiter in a restaurant addresses the whole table in the same way.

Trendy American tosspot language IMO.

Catch you guys later, OK dudes(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As we are having a whinge, here is my pet hate - threads which start with " Hi Guys".

Same as if a waiter in a restaurant addresses the whole table in the same way.

Trendy American tosspot language IMO.

Catch you guys later, OK dudes(y)
Don't know why because I should be the last to comment on how anyone talks, but when in a bar or shop or whatever, it always grates with me when someone says can I GET a beer or can l GET a cake , no you can't, whoever is serving GETS it for you, but you can HAVE one.:(

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm sure we can all come up with example threads. :) Many of which die of death before the 5th post from the OP. If everyone took the attitude of just going to a forum when help was needed then there would be no paid members,
We are all different with varing degrees of savy on this sort of thing..
The forum is more to some than others... Nothing wrong with greeting everyone if that's your thing but equally nothing wrong with not doing it ... same as birthday greetings...
This forum is without doubt very friendly and accommodating..
It seems to work well and a friendly response to a first post even if they appear to have forgotten their manners is still the best way fwd..IMHO. .
I hate reading a reply to a first post which is pulling them up and telling them they should pay up...
At the end of the day it's up to Jim I suppose to decide what works and restrict new posters ,which is what you suggested earlier I think..
Andy

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I agree its up to Jim we all just chat on here he decides on the rules I see the chatting/advising and the payment as two separate things

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't know why because I should be the last to comment on how anyone talks, but when in a bar or shop or whatever, it always grates with me when someone says can I GET a beer or can l GET a cake , no you can't, whoever is serving GETS it for you, but you can HAVE one.:(

That's my second pet hate Chaser.

Standing in some poxy coffee shop and the trendy male or female in front says " Can I get a skinny latte to go"

Oh Please! why not say " Could I have a latte with skimmed milk to take away please?"

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure how it works but I believe their IP address is registered on funs servers so if they dont join and come back at a later date wanting more help the system blocks their IP address regardless of any new details or user name etc.
They may get free info and advice once, but thats it unless they subscribe or use a different device.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That's my second pet hate Chaser.

Standing in some poxy coffee shop and the trendy male or female in front says " Can I get a skinny latte to go"

Oh Please! why not say " Could I have a latte with skimmed milk to take away please?"
Spot on, coffee shops are one of the worst for it for some reason!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Right, this dude needs to mow the lawn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun