Help!.. Getting towed off pitch - Peterboro (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Over in the general camping area... Everyone who's left today has had to be towed off.

So in anticipation... I've located the tow hole for a towing fix

Taken the eye from the toolbox - but can't get it to fit... There doesn't appear to be enough room.. It seems to be too short and the eye catches on the bodywork as I try to screw it in. :(

Does anyone know if a longer towing eye can be ontained from the show?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, I seem to recall a few years ago about people posting that they had the wrong size towing ring supplied with their MHs ... I wonder if yours is one of them!

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I've just established that i've been given a standard Fiat one...
The pic in manual is about 4 times the length!.. :mad:

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Ah, I seem to recall a few years ago about people posting that they had the wrong size towing ring supplied with their MHs ... I wonder if yours is one of them!

Yup
That'll be moi too!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are the threads on these not all the same? I can see that different lengths might be needed, but even then a universal long one would still work when a short one would

Another design cock up by those that make but never use

Good luck, how about a Knaus dealer at the show, but trying whoever is next to you to see if it fits would be my first try, actually it wouldn't I would probably be shouting down the phone to my supplying dealers answer phone :)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Well... At least i checked now.. As opposed to faffing about with a tractor sat there waiting!..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, if you have a chassis cab then anyone with the same base vehicle should be able to lend you theirs ... so long as theirs isn't a short one too! :X3:

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Yes, if you have a chassis cab then anyone with the same base vehicle should be able to lend you theirs ... so long as theirs isn't a short one too! :X3:

It's a Knaus A..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 89
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Looks like you'll be first in the field for next years show then....:whistle:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
After Pete trying to get his in - first time he's even tried since he took possession of it - unfortunately he had great difficulty screwing.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
After Pete trying to get his in - first time he's even tried since he took possession of it - unfortunately he had great difficulty screwing.

Pardon....:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::whistle2:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Over in the general camping area... Everyone who's left today has had to be towed off.

Taken the eye from the toolbox - but can't get it to fit... There doesn't appear to be enough room.. It seems to be too short and the eye catches on the bodywork as I try to screw it in. :(

Just wait for the first fiat to be towed off Tomoz, there will definitely be one, and ask to borrow there's

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Please note - I am talking about the Moho towing eye!

2013 registered, first time since we've had it about a fortnight ago we needed a tow. The thread on the van was WELL rusted up. Well yes, of course, it's just in exactly the right place to get rusted up, isn't it? But because you never see the thing until you need it - although we needed the one on the Bessie once - it's simply never crossed either of our minds that the one on the Pilote (again owned from new) might need some TLC after 3 years (or preferably before!) and a drop or 3 of oil.

Sorted now of course - but so much easier if it hadn't got like it in the first place!

And the towing eye thingy on this one is either shorter than the one for the Swift, too - or more difficult to locate in the thread 'level' for some other reason. perhaps the Swift had a sort of neck on the hole, so when you inserted the eye, when it got in far enough to meet the thread, it would already be level?

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Yep checked mine and fitted it in on the drive at home.but if the weather stays like this today hopefully won't need it tomorrow;)
Brian & Jo

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 46

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you plan on doing mor rallies this year I would leave it screwed in(oooer Mrs) as it seems to becoming the norm, Chester, Peterborough, ? ??? :LOL::LOL:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had a permanent towing eye fitted on my old Tiffin. I never had to use it to be towed off anywhere but saved a few front wheel drives from distress. 250 bhp Cummins turbo diesel turning twin rear wheels takes some getting stuck.
$R75ZRED.JPG

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Useful thread this, no pun intended. I must find if I have a towing eye and check it fits and everything is lubricated which should be. :)

Just been and checked mine and although it's only a tiddler it'll do the job. :whistle:

Reactions: DBK
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

It never rains but it pours...;):)

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Hope you get towed off okay - we picked up the first tractor tow at 8.15 to escape the mud bath in Beds CC lines - reckon it'll be like a ploughing competition later having seen the tracks we left behind. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back