Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This is a question I am asking on behalf of a chap who is decorating my house.

He is taking his dog to France in the summer for 3 weeks and seems to think he needs the dog injected for rabies before he departs but doesn't need it injected again before he comes back.

Is that right?

I thought from reading other threads that pooch needs something done to it 24-48 hours before returning to the UK.

Any help/ guidance appreciated.

Cheers

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
He needs to get a passport before leaving not just an injection, he should really discuss it with his vet it can take a while to get it authorised, it did for us at least, needed 2 goes at the rabies test, 'around Ā£60 a pop. plus the cost of the passport which I have now erased from my memory :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And the passport has to be stamped by a vet prior to the return trip, this is to confirm the worming treatment has been done and dog is fit to travel. They can't do this themselves. Otherwise they will be turned away at the port.

A tick treatment also strongly recommended, either something like Advantix or a collar like the Scalibor one.

But as already said, they should speak to their vet.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Think you need the rabies jab at least 6 weeks before you intend to go, make sure the vet supplies the type that's good for 3 years too.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Think you need the rabies jab at least 6 weeks before you intend to go, make sure the vet supplies the type that's good for 3 years too.

Not relevant to France, but our vet told us recently that some countries where rabies is more prevelant (think she may have mentioned Albania) insist on the rabies jab having been done within 1 year, 3 is not acceptable to them.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
you can leave immediately its the coming back that has a time limit
According to the website you have to wait 21 days before you travel to any EU country, this is because the jab is not effective until after 21 days, but as no one checks going out it probably does not matter. Except that the dog will not be fully treated until day 22.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
On a slightly different theme :rolleyes:

We've just noticed that our Charlie's passport has the incorrect date of birth written in biro in fact he hasn't been born until 27/12/16 :(

? If the vet or us alter it do you think it's ok how keen are the checks please.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003

We've just noticed that our Charlie's passport has the incorrect date of birth written in biro in fact he hasn't been born until 27/12/16 :(

? If the vet or us alter it do you think it's ok how keen are the checks please.
I would not make any changes especially if you intend to use the tunnel. The check in point there is very strict, they refused to accept our passport one year due to changes that our vet made in the passport, we had to quickly go down to the ferry terminal and pay for a crossing and they never mentioned the changes.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

You need to go back to the issuing vet and get him/her to do a new one FOC which is correctly dated - it is a legal document just like a human passport so needs to be right - remember that he'll have it for a good few years so better sort it now and then you won't have to worry each time you travel abroad.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Thank you Mike & Mel that's exactly what I thought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back