Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I spent hours ringing round today and they still came out £70 cheaper than the nearest other for like for like with a very pleasant person to deal with.
Safeguard wouldn't even quote me as my MH has not got an alarm fitted ,although it's booked in to have one fitted next month. . Others were saying that their quotes were so high because the high mileage Iwanted ,10000 miles, which to me isn't that high as a return journey to Cornwall is 1000 miles.I think they only really want to insure you if it sits on your driveway all the time .

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I spent the other day phoning round...7 different companies.
Comfort were the most expensive... In fact didn't even phone me back with the quote...When I phoned them to find out what it was I understood why they hadn't bothered... £862.81 :eek::confused:
The cheapest I got was £463.60.. Both include breakdown cover... Just busy checking to see if there are any nasty little surprises in their terms before making up my mind..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Comfort were the most expensive...
Andy

Andy try phoning them up again and ask if its cheaper if you add another person on.

If I took mum off the policy it got dearer...but she isnt entitled to drive it anyway....Anyhow I swapped her for Alan and got £100 cheaper due to difference in age.:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm with them too at the moment but there is one thing to be aware of regardless of how cheap they are.

As I'm sure most people know their policies are underwritten by Aviva. No problem with that in itself.

The problem arises if you need to make a claim. The claim number Comfort publish to call is one that goes directly to the main Aviva call centre. Comfort themselves refuse to get involved with, or even speak to you about, a claim unless there's a third party involved whom they can charge some costs to.

For any other claim, in my case it was when my keys were stolen, you have to deal directly with the Aviva main call centre. You will more than likely find that you end up having to talk to some minimum wage semi coherent teenager who doesn't even know what a motorhome is never mind how to process an insurance claim on one.

In the end it was so painful trying to explain to them what they needed to do I cancelled the claim completely and sorted out, and paid for, the various jobs myself. I would have lost the will to live otherwise.

As with everything price isn't the be all and end all. When it's renewal time this year I'm going to be talking to the brokers about their claims procedures and underwriters before I make a decision.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I'm with them too at the moment but there is one thing to be aware of regardless of how cheap they are.

As I'm sure most people know their policies are underwritten by Aviva. No problem with that in itself.

The problem arises if you need to make a claim. The claim number Comfort publish to call is one that goes directly to the main Aviva call centre. Comfort themselves refuse to get involved with, or even speak to you about, a claim unless there's a third party involved whom they can charge some costs to.

For any other claim, in my case it was when my keys were stolen, you have to deal directly with the Aviva main call centre. You will more than likely find that you end up having to talk to some minimum wage semi coherent teenager who doesn't even know what a motorhome is never mind how to process an insurance claim on one.

In the end it was so painful trying to explain to them what they needed to do I cancelled the claim completely and sorted out, and paid for, the various jobs myself. I would have lost the will to live otherwise.

As with everything price isn't the be all and end all. When it's renewal time this year I'm going to be talking to the brokers about their claims procedures and underwriters before I make a decision.
Am sure I heard that even if you ring the insurance company to discuss any claim, irrelevant of whether you claim or not it actually goes against you when renewing
In other words they treat it as a claim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My problem I suppose is with Aviva more than it is with Comfort. I did find it a little disappointing that the company that sold me the policy didn't want to know when I needed to make a claim though.

As for Aviva, funnelling every claim call for every policy through the same call centre to call handlers who haven't got a clue about half of the products they're dealing with is ridiculous.

It took me about 20 minutes on the phone to get the monkey on the other end to understand that the there are 2 locksets on a motorhome.

Then, once I'd finally got through to them what was needed, they didn't have a clue how to go about arranging it.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Well, We had insurance through Comfort and the van was broken into whilst in its CASSOA secure storage compound. Aviva were first class to deal with, prompt, unstinting on the standard of restitution.

(But the premium went up five times at renewal and so I insured elsewhere at only 2and a half times the original premium. Lucky me!)

Norman

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Safeguard wouldn't even quote me as my MH has not got an alarm fitted ,although it's booked in to have one fitted next month.

Their rules must change depending on vehicle/value/the weather. I use Safeguard and they didn't require an alarm...in fact it made no difference to the premium. An immobiliser did.

Mind you, this is the company that has just informed me by letter that my policy does cover my new drive-away awning (y)

......provided I keep it attached to the van :( This was after I was told on the phone there was no such restriction (n)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive just reinsured with AIB as the quote was slightly less than last year i couldnt even be bothered ringing around

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought that was the idea of using a broker/agent , in the event of a claim you dump it all on them to sort out ,otherwise what are you paying them for ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought that was the idea of using a broker/agent , in the event of a claim you dump it all on them to sort out ,otherwise what are you paying them for ?

Answers on a postcard.

If you ever find out could you let me know. At the moment I'm intending to try and find a policy that isn't underwritten by Aviva.

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Well, We had insurance through Comfort and the van was broken into whilst in its CASSOA secure storage compound. Aviva were first class to deal with, prompt, unstinting on the standard of restitution.

(But the premium went up five times at renewal and so I insured elsewhere at only 2and a half times the original premium. Lucky me!)

Norman

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Before we bought our B544 last year we were looking at a Rapido 9048df and a Pilote A class. Before buying I checked with Comfort how much my insurance may go up. We were paying £260 inc breakdown for our Bessacarr E450. I was advised it would be around £250 to £300 more.
Eventually we bought the Hymer and I rang Comfort fully expecting a big rise.
No change in price and no admin charge because I'd informed them about changing.
Renewal this year, £270.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I am still not sure about this perhaps someone can throw some light on the issue.
I have insured with Motorhomefacts since buying our first MH four years ago, their price is excellent ( not made a claim yet. Fingers crossed)
Are Motorhomefacts and comfort the same company ? They apparently both use the same building, also both use Aviva as the insurer.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I entered MHfacts above and the dark side came up??? Any ideas?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I entered MHfacts above and the dark side came up??? Any ideas?
One and the same - MHfacts is often called the dark side on FUN. We are insured through them as well as always cheaper than Comfort. As far as I know they are not the same company but both policies are underwritten by Aviva.

Denise

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Thanks for that denisejoe always wondered.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
were with Scenic, found then excellent, we have an A Class and our windscreen broke last year (stone hit it) only paid 60.00 for replacement. Hope price is as good when renewing again.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We were with Comfort for five years without incident. Last autumn we traded in our van for a new one, which isn't due for delivery until June. So cancelled the insurance (about half way through the policy year). The young lady said there would be a deduction of £25 from the refunded premium - an administration charge - BUT, if I renewed with them for the new van they would deduct the charge from the new premium - which I thought was fair enough. And they sent me an email to confirm, so I've got some evidence of their offer.

I'll check around for some quotes when the new van arrives, but expect at this stage we'll probably go with Comfort again unless they are way out of line with other insurers.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Looks like it might be a little less expensive in France. I have just insured ours for 360€ per year. Which is about £285 Sterling. That is fully comprehensive, unlimited mileage, full European breakdown cover. Theft to the value of 2000€ for goods and windscreen cover. I have to pay 450€ excess.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are The Dark Side and comfort the same company ? They apparently both use the same building, also both use Aviva as the insurer.
And the same girl answers the phone, I think you can work out the answer.:)

Just had my renewal from Comfort £8 more than last year & £90 cheaper than anyone else so far.

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Comfort were the most expensive... In fact didn't even phone me back with the quote...When I phoned them to find out what it was I understood why they hadn't bothered... £862.81 :eek::confused:
The cheapest I got was £463.60.. Both include breakdown cover... Just busy checking to see if there are any nasty little surprises in their terms before making up my mind..
Andy
hi Andy, i have a Dethleffs A class ,i'm insured with comfort, £320 per year , its due for renewal in April .i have been informed on this site that Safeguard are competitive so will be looking for the quote.

Reactions: f6c

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I've just has a quote from SafeGuard for £682 including 10 years no claims and no claims insurance, no limit overseas cover .. well pleased

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've just has a quote from SafeGuard for £682 including 10 years no claims and no claims insurance, no limit overseas cover .. well pleased
£682 is what Safeguard quoted us for B Class Dynamic Line a quick haggle brought it down to £577, Comfort are only £294 but won't insure on a VIN plate which we need for bringing the van home.
Safeguard will insure on the VIN from the foreign port most other insurers not until on UK soil, but they won't insure for theft until an alarm is fitted so I will be sleeping in the van on the drive on Tuesday night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back