Just bought 5 tyres (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The MH is 10 this year, so even though it's only done 20,000 miles and the tyres look like new, it is time to change them (Continentals web site) I got 5 Continental Vanco Camper tyres for £605 from Tyre Shack Southampton. Just a bit of haggling, and I may have got more off for more effort but Tyre shack are just down the road, walking distance, so I'm happy with the deal. I paid a bit more for the camper tyre, not sure what the benefit is over the van tyre, but if continental make it for motor homes it may be worth it????

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I think the camper tyre has a stiffer wall. The theory is that a camper is a consistent weight/fully loaded where as a commercial van spends half its life empty or half of its life full, depends whether you are an optimist or a pesamist.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The MH is 10 this year, so even though it's only done 20,000 miles and the tyres look like new, it is time to change them (Continentals web site) I got 5 Continental Vanco Camper tyres for £605 from Tyre Shack Southampton. Just a bit of haggling, and I may have got more off for more effort but Tyre shack are just down the road, walking distance, so I'm happy with the deal. I paid a bit more for the camper tyre, not sure what the benefit is over the van tyre, but if continental make it for motor homes it may be worth it????
Never sure whether it would be no gain from fitting camping tyres instead of van tyres,as I understand it both are designed to carry the maximum rated load of vehicle and bearing in mind the difference in cost there must be a good reason.of course I know some expert advice will be forthcoming .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
out of interest and following g on from another thread yesterday, what is the date code on your new tyres?

4 digits showing week and year made, hopefully 1016, which would be made last week (y) although they may still be warm :)

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Gasman, whereabouts in Southampton cos I will need a couple of tyres when we get back from Spain next month, I normally use e-tyres and get them fitted on the drive.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
out of interest and following g on from another thread yesterday, what is the date code on your new tyres?

4 digits showing week and year made, hopefully 1016, which would be made last week (y) although they may still be warm :)
I'm having them fitted on Saturday week

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi Gasman, whereabouts in Southampton cos I will need a couple of tyres when we get back from Spain next month, I normally use e-tyres and get them fitted on the drive.
Third Avenue Millbrook. They wanted a lot more, but matched the on line price

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I just had Kwikfit fit 4xAgilis Campers on mine for £400. They came and fitted on my drive for no extra charge. Van is 5 years old but tyres were 7 y.o and starting to crack. They seem to have a deal on with Michelin Agilis right now.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I just had Kwikfit fit 4xAgilis Campers on mine for £400. They came and fitted on my drive for no extra charge. Van is 5 years old but tyres were 7 y.o and starting to crack. They seem to have a deal on with Michelin Agilis right now.
I had a look on line before I ordered the tyres, the continentals were not the cheapest but it has run on them for 10 years
So I wanted to put the same ones back

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
It may be to late if you have already ordered but I bought last September 4 new Continental Vanco Camper 215/70R15 109R tyres from CarTyre.com. I had a choice of companies to fit them and I settled on Halfords Lincoln, the nearest to where I live. Fitted 2 days after ordering them. I paid £423.08 fitted balanced and the old ones disposed of.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It may be to late if you have already ordered but I bought last September 4 new Continental Vanco Camper 215/70R15 109R tyres from CarTyre.com. I had a choice of companies to fit them and I settled on Halfords Lincoln, the nearest to where I live. Fitted 2 days after ordering them. I paid £423.08 fitted balanced and the old ones disposed of.
My tyres are slightly larger 215/75R/16C/113R and I am replacing the spare as well. Also I know Tyre Shack have the space to take the MH inside, and I can walk home

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My tyres are slightly larger 215/75R/16C/113R and I am replacing the spare as well. Also I know Tyre Shack have the space to take the MH inside, and I can walk home

Had you used the spare on the van? If it had been on its rack all this time i would have thought it would still be ok,,may be wrong though...BUSBY.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

Fair comment, I did wonder if your tyres were a larger size.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Had you used the spare on the van? If it had been on its rack all this time i would have thought it would still be ok,,may be wrong though...BUSBY.
It's to do with the age of the rubber, used or not Continental say 10 year max. I did think about not replacing the spare, but the thought of a puncture when travelling to the south of France and then having to do 300 miles on the old tyre is too much for me.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Never sure whether it would be no gain from fitting camping tyres instead of van tyres,as I understand it both are designed to carry the maximum rated load of vehicle and bearing in mind the difference in cost there must be a good reason.of course I know some expert advice will be forthcoming .
I can only speak from examining a campers tyres where he had mixed up van tyres (rear) with camping tyres on the front. Certainly his and my campers are rated up to 5.5 bar max pressure and should have metal valves. The Van tyres were much less than that because they don't seem to be as renforced. I read somewhere camper tyres get more stress on a camper, so would never buy non camping tyres.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
It's to do with the age of the rubber, used or not Continental say 10 year max. I did think about not replacing the spare, but the thought of a puncture when travelling to the south of France and then having to do 300 miles on the old tyre is too much for me.

Met a guy in France last year in an oldish Hymer. Not sure of the model but it had 4 wheels at the back, 2 side by side. He was down south when he got a puncture in 1 of the rear tyres. Went to a garage to get it repaired but it was to badly damaged so he had to have 4 new tyres. They said it was illegal to fit 1new tyre and because there were 4, that's what would have to be replaced. They couldn't/wouldn't switch the front tyres either. He was sufficiently upset plus I saw the 4 new tyres to know that it was a true story. Whether what they told him was correct, who knows?

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Met a guy in France last year in an oldish Hymer. Not sure of the model but it had 4 wheels at the back, 2 side by side. He was down south when he got a puncture in 1 of the rear tyres. Went to a garage to get it repaired but it was to badly damaged so he had to have 4 new tyres. They said it was illegal to fit 1new tyre and because there were 4, that's what would have to be replaced. They couldn't/wouldn't switch the front tyres either. He was sufficiently upset plus I saw the 4 new tyres to know that it was a true story. Whether what they told him was correct, who knows?
I think in France you have to have matching tyres on an axel, for most of us that means 2 tyres but if you have double wheels then it will be 4

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
that sounds just like a nice juicy piece of soon to be EU legislation Dodgy Dave is keeping close to his chest ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
This has been raised on here before and I think it was decided their taking the p**s just to sell foreigners tyres they don't need. Here you have to have the same sort of tyre not the same make or tread pattern and as we keep having Euro rules rammed down our throats why is France any different. No doubt if you walked into a tyre depot with a wheel under your arm and asked for a new tyre fitting they would supply one.
Rant over. :D

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

The tread on our tyres was fine but the sides were cracking. We bought four Michelin Agilis tyres at Costco in Reading for £97 each. We used a £25 voucher from Michelin, having bought 4 tyres for our Honda CRV, so total cost was £366. same offer was on again so we will have another £25 voucher coming which we can spend at Costco. Checked date codes of new tyres was 2016. Easy access there and staff are really friendly, helpful and efficient. Really pleased.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back