Overnight stop outside Portsmouth? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are headed Bristol way off the Portsmouth ferry arriving at 6.30pm. Don't t really want to drive for more than an hour. We'd like a nice pub where we can eat and stay in car park. Any suggestions? We will consult our Britstops book but like to go with recommendations when possible.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
The Ship Inn, Hayling Island. Free and nice food too.
260116 Ship Inn Hayling Island (2).JPG

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Strictly speaking the Ship Inn is not on Hayling Island. It is just before the bridge to the Island. A pub I often used many years ago. Whenever I pass it (not very often nowadays) the car park always seems full. I imagine it may be a bit noisy, especially if you have an early start. Nice view across the harbour when the tide is in. Not so nice when it is out.

Another place to think about that way is the West Beach on the front at Hayling Island. Good view across the Solent to the Isle of Wight. You have to pay to park overnight even in the winter but there is a nice pub called the Inn on the Beach, that does good food.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks good idea but we thought we'd better head towards Bristol direction and I think hayling island is the other way isn't it? Will look at the map.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Your welcome to stop at my place...... Just outside Dorchester (DT2 9HY) and no doubt on the road you will take to Bristol...

About 2hrs or so from Portsmouth, depending on traffic..

Pub that serves meals about a mile away... (I can drop you and pick you up, so you can have a few :drink::drink::drink:.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
That's so kind of you old mo.
I think that'll make it too late for us
We'll take you up on the kind invite a other time. :)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Port Solent ? It's where we stop overnight; huge safe car park , lots of pubs and restaurants at the car park and minutes from the ferries and motorway system.

Will pass details if you want to consider it.

Edit to add coordinates:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Port Solent ? It's where we stop overnight; huge safe car park , lots of pubs and restaurants at the car park and minutes from the ferries and motorway system.

Will pass details if you want to consider it.

Edit to add coordinates:

Supposed to be a nice place. Mind you it is built on an old rubbish tip! I am old enough to have spent the summer of 1969 working as a junior site engineer on the bunds from the then mainland out to the Island, which enclosed that area of harbour so that tipping could be carried out. Often meant to go back and see what it looks like now, but only ever driven past it on the motorway.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Supposed to be a nice place. Mind you it is built on an old rubbish tip! I am old enough to have spent the summer of 1969 working as a junior site engineer on the bunds from the then mainland out to the Island, which enclosed that area of harbour so that tipping could be carried out. Often meant to go back and see what it looks like now, but only ever driven past it on the motorway.

Go back and have a look Peter ! Interesting place. Don't miss the Mary Rose in dock just outside the Harvester pub.

Thanks for filling in ( !) some detail. We look forward to our nights there at the beginning and end of each trip with a meal and then a quiet night. There's even a multiscreen cinema and a gym should you wish for more entertainment.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Go back and have a look Peter ! Interesting place. Don't miss the Mary Rose in dock just outside the Harvester pub.

Thanks for filling in ( !) some detail. We look forward to our nights there at the beginning and end of each trip with a meal and then a quiet night. There's even a multiscreen cinema and a gym should you wish for more entertainment.
Yes I must do that sometime - trouble is I am rarely going that way nowadays. Live in Kent so always use the tunnel. Do you park in the main car park by the David Lloyd fitness centre? Are there any dedicated MH bays or do you just double up?

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Are there any dedicated MH bays or do you just double up?

No MH bays, it's all " unofficial " parking but we park right up at the edge, just beside the fence that separates the on-land boat storage area beside the furthest entrance to the car parking area. We park parallel to the hedge with the door facing the car park and our back to the common. That way it is flat and we are out of the way and no-one bothers us. There are always vast numbers of empty spaces even when everyone is going to the gym or eating. It amazes us how early some people go to the gym however.

Your writing about the previous use as a rubbish tip answers the question as to why there are gas outlets around the perimeter. Thanks !

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Yes recommend port solent we stopped there 4 days ago, loads of space and the nice security chap even suggested that we move to the car park behind the david lloyd gym as we originally parked on the stoned one where the yachts were out of the water, there was lots of wood planks with nails in, the very pleasant security chap said that he advises not to park vehicles there due to potential punctures. Had a nice meal and the car park was very quiet once all the gym bunnies had gone home, no problems. Good stopover and only 10 mins from ferry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back