LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We may have 5 weeks for travelling this summer and are looking at a number of options so that we are prepared to travel according to the predicted weather.

If the conditions are right, we may end up in Sweden and Norway. I know that they are large countries with fantastic scenery but boys 1 and 2 aren't keen on spending hours in end travelling so we may either do more night time driving or restrict our travels.

How much variation in landscape is there as one drives north and is it much more spectacular the further north you go?

Is the sea fishing any good during the summer and if so, what areas are cod etc most likely to be caught? I understand that they move south during the spring / early summer?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Last time we were in Lapland we saw salmon as big as a weightlifters left leg being pulled out of rivers, could not believe the size......lisence required I think!:)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Last time we were in Lapland we saw salmon as big as a weightlifters left leg being pulled out of rivers, could not believe the size......lisence required I think!:)
What time of year were you there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did Sweden, Norway and Denmark 2 years ago and loved it even though we only just dipped our toes in to these countries we really loved them.
The only long drive we did was from Amsterdam to Travemunde to catch the ferry to bottom of Sweden, after that we stayed in Malmo and caught the train over the bridge to Copenhagen, cheaper than taking the van.

We drove up the coast do Sweden for a few days thinking what a lovely country, view from our van in a CL style site €10 a night with EHU
image.jpeg

we then bypassed Oslo and drove to Flam for a few nights. Scenery up here is stunning and the kids would love it. Nice train journey up past some waterfalls is an expensive but well worth it trip.

On the way back down we drove Via the snow road and stopped for some views with this viewing platform a few thousand feet up over Aurland.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After this we drove along the Snow road the temp was about 30 degrees and there was still snow on the ground really stunning in places with love clear water lochs.
image.jpeg

We then headed back to Oslo for a few days stayed at the harbour with around 100 other MHs for €20 with EHU(I think this was the price).
Then drove down coast and stayed for a couple of nights before catching ferry to Denmark.
We then spent a lovely few days there before heading home.
image.jpeg

Lovely little CL style place €10 a night and the owner delivered fresh eggs to our door each morning for free, only 1/2 easy walk to some stunning beaches.
I would highly recommend these countries and unless your a heavy drinker and want to eat out at fancy resturants you won't be bother with the high price everyone moans about.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
ive not been into Sweden, was a little disappointed with some of the costal bits in Denmark , but Norway is I think the most beautiful country ive visited ...and i haven't ventured any further north than Bergan.. yet!!!
in season camp sites can be very expensive, but as long as you are not disturbing anyone you can park up in loads quiet little spots.. you will almost certainly use toll roads but they were not expensive.. I was in a small van mind..not sure what its like in a van 6m plus..
ta andy

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our van is < 6m - I hope that it would e cheaper on ferries and tolls.

We were also disappointed with the Danish coast - we didn't go much further than Ribe on the west coast and came down the east but we didn't find what we were looking for.

They do sound like lovely destinations - I just don't want to rush do much that we don't enjoy them. We would probably have a month to explore them.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What time of year were you there?
July/August. Furter north you go more wild west it feels...like Calafornia but smaller trees! High points: the beutiful lakes and cheap plain campsites some in beutiful positions. The bear park at feeding time! The wilderness way that dips into Norway. Sami Indian reservations etc...etc....

Have your lunch as main meal.... dagan raisse? ( not sure on spelling) fantastic value and choice. Have been to Sweden 3 times and only touched the surface of it....

Eddie

Edit: Denmark is flat and boring in comparion....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back