Thats why we have motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Just had 2 weeks camping on the side of the Med in france all free of charge there was at least 200-300 campers there all having a good time, l was swimming in the Med every day buying fresh muscles 2.80 euro a kilo, quailty wine 3 euro a bottle, it what its all about when we spend all our hard earned cash on a motorhome, and go to france where they make motorhomes welcome we stayed on Aires with free electric, Vineyards. Paul

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Paul glad you had a good time, that's what I love about motorhoming, and even with a big RV it's still cheap compared to some package holidays. Any info on where you stayed? cause if you can get on, my little tiddler won't have any problems. ::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Paul glad you had a good time, that's what I love about motorhoming, and even with a big RV it's still cheap compared to some package holidays. Any info on where you stayed? cause if you can get on, my little tiddler won't have any problems. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Hi Olley got a tiddler like yours now 30ft 2004 Brave 6.5td twin slide goes any where have a problem with the autopark brake it locked on and l had to disconnect it any idea,s theres fuied on the housing behind the step Paul

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Paul sounds like you have a diesel version of mine. When we were looking to buy, no end of sellers with big-uns told me, "if you buy a small one, in a couple of years you will regret it and get a biggy" never have.::bigsmile:

The autoparking brake can be a nightmare, unlike mine you don't have a parking pawl in the autobox, so they had to fit an autoparking brake, as you probably know a spring holds it on, and a small hydraulic cylinder pulls it off, all electrically controlled, I do have some schematics for the wiring and hydraulics if you want them.

Contact Zaskar as he had problems with his, he knows more about the system than me as he's got down and dirty with it. ::bigsmile:

Olley

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Sorry Jim

It will never beat the states !!:Cool:

Jim
:Nowink:

Getting your van to Calais though is a bit easier plus there is less chance of running into any Americans. Just out of interest can you ship your van to America or is it just better to hire one. Quite fancy maybe Canada some day. Are their vans Grizzly proof though?

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
Getting your van to Calais though is a bit easier plus there is less chance of running into any Americans. Just out of interest can you ship your van to America or is it just better to hire one. Quite fancy maybe Canada some day. Are their vans Grizzly proof though?

We were wondering this too ::bigsmile: (The shipping to America part, not the bear-proof van!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive no doubt that you can ship your mh-rv to the US no problem.

Its the problems with national and state taxes, US registration and of course I would assume that you would have to have you own rv-mh converted to comply with US law in just the same way as we do when we import from the US.

All a bit expensive.

If I were to do it again I would buy one in the states and spend a lot of time there. You can get a guaranteed buy back.

Renting for a short period is expensive bit imo its worth it.

As far as meeting americans is concerned you coudnt meet a better bunch of people in and around the rv/mh environment.

Ive been to france a few times on business and they are the most obnoxious race of people I have ever met.

When it comes to International affairs they are again particularly partisan and really coudnt give a monkeys for anybody but themselves

Now dont forget that I have only been to Paris and I'm sure that the people in the more suburban areas are very nice.

To anybody who doesnt want to meet an american, you watch to much telly.:Doh:

Jim
:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ive been to france a few times on business and they are the most obnoxious race of people I have ever met.

When it comes to International affairs they are again particularly partisan and really coudnt give a monkeys for anybody but themselves

You aint met many Jocks then Jim ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maybe that's why I have a different perspective... :roflmto:

Not heard of "The Auld Alliance " ?:winky:

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You aint met many Jocks then Jim ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maybe that's why I have a different perspective... :roflmto:

Not heard of "The Auld Alliance " ?:winky:

Strangely Ive met loads o jocks Jim.

Apart from one job where we had a lttle band from Glasgow who seemed to have a real problem with the English there great lads.

I made a lot of good mates working in Scotland and stiil keep in touch with a couple of them.

Jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Strangely Ive met loads o jocks Jim.

Apart from one job where we had a lttle band from Glasgow who seemed to have a real problem with the English there great lads.

I made a lot of good mates working in Scotland and stiil keep in touch with a couple of them.

Jim

Only a joke .. being one myself couldn't agree more :thumb:

jim

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ive no doubt that you can ship your mh-rv to the US no problem.

Its the problems with national and state taxes, US registration and of course I would assume that you would have to have you own rv-mh converted to comply with US law in just the same way as we do when we import from the US.

All a bit expensive.

If I were to do it again I would buy one in the states and spend a lot of time there. You can get a guaranteed buy back.

Renting for a short period is expensive bit imo its worth it.

As far as meeting americans is concerned you coudnt meet a better bunch of people in and around the rv/mh environment.

Now dont forget that I have only been to Paris and I'm sure that the people in the more suburban areas are very nice.

To anybody who doesnt want to meet an american, you watch to much telly.:Doh:

Jim

I was only joking about the Americans. I have been there in the past through work and some were ok and some were not, same all over really. You hit the nail on the head though when you said you couldnt meet a nicer bunch of people in the RV environment. That says it all really. Its just people in the MH world in general, they are 99% nice people in my opinion. On our recent tour we spend over 2 months in France. I had a bigoted opinion of the French and thought they were arrogant and a bit full of themselves. How wrong was I. Throughout our trip every French person we came across was charming, polite and friendly. I have dealt with the French in Business and have a business partner who frequently goes to Paris with work and he says the same as you. Having said that on our way home we had a blow out and had to call the AA. The French mechanic that turned up was probably the rudest and quite frankly ignorant person I have met in a long time, wont bore you with the details but so much so that it has prompted me to complain to the AA on my return.

Perhaps its because we all look out for each other and are friendly towards other MH people. Even the Germans we met in MH were nice now that was a suprise!:ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just had 2 weeks camping on the side of the Med in france all free of charge there was at least 200-300 campers there all having a good time, l was swimming in the Med every day buying fresh muscles 2.80 euro a kilo, quailty wine 3 euro a bottle......
Welcome back to Blighty!

Imagine the same happening here? The Gestapo would soon be shifting you all off as 'undesirables', 'troublemakers', 'freeloaders' etc...unless you disguised yourselves as gypsies and then you'd be ok. But who the hell wants to swim in the freezing sea here when you can bask in the warm waters of the 'med'?

We won't ever get the weather that the South of France can offer.....but we can learn one heck of a lot from europe on how to make people feel welcome. Whenever i return back into the UK i feel like an unwelcome guest!

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Welcome back to Blighty!

Imagine the same happening here? The Gestapo would soon be shifting you all off as 'undesirables', 'troublemakers', 'freeloaders' etc...unless you disguised yourselves as gypsies and then you'd be ok. But who the hell wants to swim in the freezing sea here when you can bask in the warm waters of the 'med'?

We won't ever get the weather that the South of France can offer.....but we can learn one heck of a lot from europe on how to make people feel welcome. Whenever i return back into the UK i feel like an unwelcome guest!

Your not wrong. After 3 months away coming back and driving up from Dover to N'Yorks was just so depressing. Loads of traffic, people flashing their lights and swearing at each other. I could quite happily bum around France all year in the Van knowing that you are welcome, safe and if you head south warm! Aires and wildcamping is just accepted and the reason why is that MH owners behave themselves and spend lots of money locally. Simple. Why England (I deliberatly exclude Scotland here as they seem more tollerant) cant see that is beyond me. This countries finished as far as I am concerned and as soon as we get our act together we are off!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
Sorry if I started a slow degeneration in this post it wasn't intended. I'm glad you guys had a real good time when you were away and

WELCOME BACK TO ENGLAND

:rain:

Cheers

Jim
hardhat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

once worked this out for hiring in austrailia.
cant see it being a lot different in america land:Sad:

one years hire for a C class was ÂŁ54'000

go for a month......hire one

go for a year.........buy one and sell or import later or take yer own.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Just had 2 weeks camping on the side of the Med in france all free of charge there was at least 200-300 campers there all having a good time, l was swimming in the Med every day buying fresh muscles 2.80 euro a kilo, quailty wine 3 euro a bottle, it what its all about when we spend all our hard earned cash on a motorhome, and go to france where they make motorhomes welcome we stayed on Aires with free electric, Vineyards. Paul

Hi Paul

Would you mind giving me the co-ordinates of the aires, or addresses PLEASE

We are off to France in October.

I would really appreciate a holiday like that, we usually stay on sites. Never been brave enough before. Would really like to try that

Cheers

Lesley

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Yeah, just as a matter of interest where was this place :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Yeah, just as a matter of interest where was this place :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

its a 3k strip of land south of Sete with the Med on one side and a sea water lake on the other if you have slide outs there,s plenty of room and a supermarket and fresh bread shop by the lights if you got a UK van with the door on the wrong side park facing the traffic Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back