B & M Bargains Camping Stove (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
On our recent trip to France & Spain we spent a lot of time around the coast and some fishing ports where there was fresh fish on sale. There was a big no-no on cooking fish in the MH and as we had no other means of cooking the fish we did without. So we decided to look at alternatives and the simplest solution we thought of was a small gas camping stove and found one of these at B & M Bargains....

Image does not show the blown plastic carry case that comes with it . Very lightweight kit.
254176-BLUE-PORTABLE-STOVE1.jpg

Together with these gas cartridges....

233534-4pk-Butane-Gas-Cardridges1.jpg

Grand total of £13 the lot. Had a dry run at home last night and cooked some fish nicely.
Thought I would pass the info on in case it was of any use to anyone else.
I know they have been around for a while but this seems a good price!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bev swears by them for cooking when camping with her guides, so much easier than hauling Calor cylinders around

Thanks for the tip, she always tries to buy them when discounted (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
They are great little cookers -we always carry one in the van for emergencies, in any case. But as you say, good for cooking fish outside.

When we had our kitchen at home altered and rebuilt six years ago, we cooked exclusively on a couple of them for two months. Worked perfectly.

However, one word of warning. Apparently, it can be potentially dangerous to cook with VERY wide-base pans, that significantly overlap the burner ring (eg paella). There is a small risk the gas canister can overheat and explode!! (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They are all we ever use outside the van(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They are great little cookers -we always carry one in the van for emergencies, in any case. But as you say, good for cooking fish outside.

When we had our kitchen at home altered and rebuilt six years ago, we cooked exclusively on a couple of them for two months. Worked perfectly.

However, one word of warning. Apparently, it can be potentially dangerous to cook with VERY wide-base pans, that significantly overlap the burner ring (eg paella). There is a small risk the gas canister can overheat and explode!! (n)

Crikey, we always cook paella on ours!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think Bev's are all 2 burner versions, but I will make her aware of the risk, I presume if you use the burner further away from the cylinder the risk is much reduced

many thanks @mikebeaches (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I use ours for boiling water for coffee in the morning (when I have to leave the comfort of the MH to avoid waking up (SWMBO) and fish and steak generally or other good when were entertaining and don't want to keep popping inside to use the built in hob.

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
We use ours loads, or at least Chris does banished from the van for particularly smelly or spattering cooking. He hates bbq cooking though!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've used them for years, its a good way to be able to boil a kettle to make a cuppa whilst waiting for a ferry etc once the gas has been turned off at check-in. Also good for hubby to cook splattery stuff outside whilst I get the rest done on the 2 ring hob inside.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Great bit of kit. I carry one for emergencies and incase my Calor gas cylinders give out when abroad. Have never used it yet.

Great tip regarding the kitchen re-furb'. I'm having mine done soon, so will get it out of the van!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'm another fan, also because of the fish, we do eat it quite often. This van has an extractor, but i think the food tastes better when cooked outside, also John thinks I am too clumsy to use it, so I don't (if he's about) :)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have one of these in my truck, fantastic little things

Deleted User
I believe they have been banned in Australia for that very reason

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Picked up one on the way through Spain on our recent trip, unbelievable how well they work better than the Smeg hob burners.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981

The B&M gas cylinders state that they are explosion proof, they have a device fitted to the collar that causes them to vent the gas rather than explode.

Read that after buying some today.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When you don't get the can on right and you here a hissing, don't try and light it. One fire extinguisher and a damp towel later...........
2011-08-12 17.56.52.jpg

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
These Stoves have a habit of leaking at the canister connection point and then catching Fire. One of my fellow drivers had one go up it made a mess of tractor unit cab but Worse still it made a Bigger mess of his Neck Face and Hair before he got out of the cab.
These stoves are now banned from where I worked before retirement..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I spent about 30 grand on a decent safe cooker,comes with its own dinning table, bed and bathroom also self propelled can be driven to any location
£13 Pah!!!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I spent about 30 grand on a decent safe cooker,comes with its own dinning table, bed and bathroom also self propelled can be driven to any location
£13 Pah!!!

Our van can't be driven to any location though :(. luckily, it can get to most and when we want to get to other places to cook, such as the beach or to the picnic table up in the hills, we take our little cooler with us. It also saves us from getting fatty smoke in the van when we're using a griddle pan :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The B&M gas cylinders state that they are explosion proof, they have a device fitted to the collar that causes them to vent the gas rather than explode.

Read that after buying some today.

But if it overheats & vents whilst cooking the vented gas would ignite in a fireball ?

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
I just go on hookups. Yesterday I bought a mini induction hob from Maplin. 500w or a lower setting of 250w. It's dinky and works. Great for my new potatoes int awning. £24.99

Deleted User
But if it overheats & vents whilst cooking the vented gas would ignite in a fireball ?
That's exactly what I am thinking. If the vent is on the collar then it isn't far away from the flame.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981

True Gus, but there's at least a chance of ending up up with scorched and hairless comestibles rather than no comestibles at all. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TBH I would only ever use one indoors in extreme circumstances, bought ours a while back for if I let the OB tank empty and envisioned it as an outdoor device.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back