Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well after spending several 10s of thousands with them nearly two years ago, and many hundreds since, and the service being acceptable if very expensive, they completely blew it for me recently. I reluctantly paid £30 for what was really a warranty job, which resulted in no improvement to the problem whatsoever. To be fair they waived the labour costs, but charged for the part. After querying my judgement and stating nothing was wrong they did then offer to have it back for another go. As they had already had our motorhome for several weeks, and it was now the eve of part exchange day, this wasn't an option. So I politely asked for a refund. No response, never mind a refusal. Now I really can't get that upset about £30, but I do find it crazy that they risk customers giving bad reviews online for the sake of whatever that part cost them - probably a fiver - plus the profit margin they took for achieving nothing. New dealer now, and it remains to be seen how they perform. I'm genuinely not upset - there are so many awful stories, mine is nothing. The point is I just find it amazing that so many dealers seem to behave this way and survive or thrive. I know there are some great ones out there including a number of MHF members. But too many bad stories about their competitors. Sad, innit?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Well after spending several 10s of thousands with them nearly two years ago, and many hundreds since, and the service being acceptable if very expensive, they completely blew it for me recently. I reluctantly paid £30 for what was really a warranty job, which resulted in no improvement to the problem whatsoever. To be fair they waived the labour costs, but charged for the part. After querying my judgement and stating nothing was wrong they did then offer to have it back for another go. As they had already had our motorhome for several weeks, and it was now the eve of part exchange day, this wasn't an option. So I politely asked for a refund. No response, never mind a refusal. Now I really can't get that upset about £30, but I do find it crazy that they risk customers giving bad reviews online for the sake of whatever that part cost them - probably a fiver - plus the profit margin they took for achieving nothing. New dealer now, and it remains to be seen how they perform. I'm genuinely not upset - there are so many awful stories, mine is nothing. The point is I just find it amazing that so many dealers seem to behave this way and survive or thrive. I know there are some great ones out there including a number of MHF members. But too many bad stories about their competitors. Sad, innit?
Above alone has cost them more than £30

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I find your experience all to familiar in our leisure interest. I've dealt with over a dozen dealers over the past thirty years and would only return to one. We actually bought a new Buccaneer mohorhone from them and there service was exemplary. That was in there very early days when customers really mattered. Now as they have grown they have also become greedy. Sorry about your experience but it's still a massive learning curve to us all even after all the years as owners.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Really sorry to read about your recent experience, until this industry is regulated and the manufacturer is made responsible for their inadequate design and build quality then I fear that there will be many more disappointing stories.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Always sad to feel bad done by, I know better than most just how you feel (y)

Out of interest what on earth were they trying to fix that had taken weeks?

and has the new dealer now taken it in knowing it has an issue?

OP
OP
HarryBasilNigel

HarryBasilNigel

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Always sad to feel bad done by, I know better than most just how you feel (y)

Out of interest what on earth were they trying to fix that had taken weeks?

and has the new dealer now taken it in knowing it has an issue?

problem was malalignment of a new locker door replaced under warranty, allowing rainwater in. Attempted fix by replacing seal. All declared on p.ex. Not a difficult fix, and no water damage at all.

OP
OP
HarryBasilNigel

HarryBasilNigel

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Forgot to mention they left rubbish in it, someone had cooked their lunch in the microwave, and a hub cap was missing on collection - though I have to accept the latter could have happened on the 40 minute journey home after collection. I'm sure it couldn't have happened in the four weeks or so they had it, especially as their "records show it was present whilst in their possession"! Really I'm not saying I'm unfortunate - clearly it's nothing in the scheme of things others have experienced - I'm just lamenting about poor standards in the mh arena - when most of the rest of the world has moved on in comparison. And more than that - I just can't see the business sense in taking this stance over such a minor thing.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
- I'm just lamenting about poor standards in the mh arena - when most of the rest of the world has moved on in comparison.

I m not at all sure it has, the car industry is still full of woes, or it seems to be to me, most other things are now seemingly throw away, things dont get serviced they just get replaced

A trip to our local dump it site always amazes me, the TV's that are dumped, look brand new in many cases, no big bulky ones at all anymore, most of them thinner than mine at home

Best of luck with the new MH and dealer (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Try Camperuk we have just brought a camper from them.Cannot fault them.
Wait to see what the after sales service is like. That's what leads to most complaints, when Customer service breaks down or departs altogether.

How a company deals with breakdowns, faulty or ill fitting items when under warranty, is a better measure than when they are holding out their hands for our thousands of pounds at buying time.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I despair at the tales of woe on here and think myself lucky. We bought our new to us eleven year old Moho that had two or three very minor glitches that were rectified perfectly and in good time from Stuart Longtons of Chorley. We then had a trip down to @dave newell lvs to have cruise and a rear camera fitted, then more recently while on holiday to @eddievanbitz to have a Growler fitted. All three companies carried out the work to a very high standard and can't be praised enough. As I said I do feel sorry for the members on here fighting to get good service.

OP
OP
HarryBasilNigel

HarryBasilNigel

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
By way of contrast to my original post I would reflect on the fact that we bought our first relatively inexpensive Motorhome (not the one we have just part exchanged) from David Fuller and they looked after us really well over the 12 months or so we had it, easily resolving any minor issues. Oh and another 2 years later, no longer being a customer, they gave me some invaluable advice in regard to purchasing a new Motorhome from elsewhere - with nothing in it for them. I'm not particularly spiritual but the concept of Karma does rather come to mind here for me.

OP
OP
HarryBasilNigel

HarryBasilNigel

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I despair at the tales of woe on here and think myself lucky. We bought our new to us eleven year old Moho that had two or three very minor glitches that were rectified perfectly and in good time from Stuart Longtons of Chorley. We then had a trip down to @dave newell lvs to have cruise and a rear camera fitted, then more recently while on holiday to @eddievanbitz to have a Growler fitted. All three companies carried out the work to a very high standard and can't be praised enough. As I said I do feel sorry for the members on here fighting to get good service.

Glad to hear of great experiences too. It's not all bad, some do understand good service obviously. In business things will and do go wrong, it's how you deal with it that really counts I feel.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I find your experience all to familiar in our leisure interest. I've dealt with over a dozen dealers over the past thirty years and would only return to one. We actually bought a new Buccaneer mohorhone from them and there service was exemplary. That was in there very early days when customers really mattered. Now as they have grown they have also become greedy. Sorry about your experience but it's still a massive learning curve to us all even after all the years as owners.

I can remember them in the 70 s when they traded from the side of a house up in the village,,,Lovely to deal with then,,,BUSBY.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
They had my mh longer than expected for a repair and so the mot expired. I knew it needed a new Hella high level brake light that I'd priced at around 20 quid and was gonna sort it myself but told them to replace it and mot it.
They charged me £125 PLUS fitting for the light unit. I didn't realise till I got home and was analysing the bill for all the work done.
One of the conditions of buying the van was to get them to respray the aluminium side skirts as some of the paintwork was lifting off, the respray hasn't lasted 4 years as it's bubbling up again.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Huddersfield or Nottingham branch of Lowdhams?
I've hear Huddersfield is much better than Notts would be interest which branch this was.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
When I have a computer handy I'll tell you the tale of Lowdhams "Unbeatable Warranty" the bodge job they did to my expensive to me mh and what it is going to cost to put it right eventually.

Wouldn't trust them to put a tap washer on once they've got your money.

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Can never understand why Manufacturers and Dealers spend so much money on Marketing to seek new customers and so little keeping the ones they have.
Motorhomes are definitely a repeat business.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back