Aug 21, 2009
West Anglia
Funster No
MH
Haven't got one
Exp
starting from scratch NOW!
.....and round & round the showrooms!

We haven't bought yet but will do, we hope, soon if we can ever decide whether to buy for just ourselves to tour Europe and the UK or to allow for the family to come with us. So we're not sure yet about a six-berth or a two-berth, assuming we'd be allowed to carry the son, daughter-in-law and two kids on-board legally. Or maybe they drive and either sleep with us or pitch a tent. We're trying to find out what they think!

Anyone tell us the real answer to the question about seatbelts please? Can you fit them to bench seat facing across the van or not?

Looking forward to getting on the road!

M&A / Home&Away

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello n welcome to the house of fun. you can have seat belts fitted where ever you like even side seats but they are not recomended. the problem becomes if you cant fit them can you get somebody to accept responsibility for their fitment in an accident. there is no specification to work to. only an mot tester shoulnt be able to rip them out with his/her hands. cheers alan.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
The first point to bear in mind if carrying 6 people will you have enough payload available, don't know of a van that does. [don't forget people apart from driver count in the payload], only way would be with a trailer to carry some of the weight. Or for some to follow in a car.
Seat belts, personally do not like seat belts fitted to sideways facing seats, don't think the law takes to kindly to them, but could not be certain, you would have to find out more from possibly the police.

:welcome: to MH Fun by the way.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on desco there is loads of campers with big payloads but you have to go over the 3.5 ton bit. seat belts on side facing not recomended but asking a policeman he would look it up if he can be bothered and say most m,homes are excempt seat belts in the rear. only babies n small kids need them .best look on a vosa site for recent changes in the laws . cheers alan.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
come on desco there is loads of campers with big payloads but you have to go over the 3.5 ton bit. seat belts on side facing not recomended but asking a policeman he would look it up if he can be bothered and say most m,homes are excempt seat belts in the rear. only babies n small kids need them .best look on a vosa site for recent changes in the laws . cheers alan.

Point taken Alan.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Seatbelts

Hi
Do not know the legalities but we have 8 seat belts fitted. Driver, passenger, 4 on dinette and 2 on couch. They were fitted when we bought. She is up for sale, do not know your price range but have a look in the ads. Coachmen Mirada Liberty Edition.
Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.
Cheers Jaen:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If seat belts are fitted in the rear only that number of passengers may travel in the back, if none are fitted then any number of persons can travel in the back. Side facing seats can only be fitted with lap belts due to the strangulation issue, I hope that helps.
That is the law as far as I understand it from previous posts. the actual legislation can be found somewhere on the site as the question has been discussed many times before so do try a search.
In the mean time welcome to the Fun.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If seat belts are fitted in the rear only that number of passengers may travel in the back, if none are fitted then any number of persons can travel in the back. Side facing seats can only be fitted with lap belts due to the strangulation issue, I hope that helps.
That is the law as far as I understand it from previous posts. the actual legislation can be found somewhere on the site as the question has been discussed many times before so do try a search.
In the mean time welcome to the Fun.
Not quite right Roger.Any forward facing seats should have belts but rear facing ones do not, so if you have a dinette you could carry say 2 front belted, 2 in dinette with belts and 2 without.Any side facing seats do not need belts so again 2 in front and in my case 6 / 8 in the rear :ROFLMAO:Of course this all changed last year and now I think (new vans ) that all seats should have belts :ROFLMAO: Just for good measure and before somebody points it out there probably is / would be insurance matters for me to carry 8 passengers -- only me the boss and dog with the very very occasional 1 or 2 grand kids,payload wise half a ton plus to spare :ROFLMAO:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So we're not sure yet about a six-berth or a two-berth, assuming we'd be allowed to carry the son, daughter-in-law and two kids
M&A / Home&Away

We bought and insured so daughters could use it - neither showed an inclination to do so. So check with them if they would want to.

Also 6 people in such a confined space, you'd better be able to get on and not be too modest. Our toilet cassette lasts two days max with two of us, so 6 could be interesting.

Choose 2 berth with *great* care, they can be so small you'll not have enough room. 4 berth probably minimum and the 2 "spare" berths might not suit 2 adults but you should be OK.

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Out of interest, could someone sleep legally in the bed over the cab whilst the MH is travelling?

OP
OP
H

Home&Away

Funster
Aug 21, 2009
West Anglia
Funster No
MH
Haven't got one
Exp
Wading through the Ads.........

Thanks all

Had a very useful weekend and have had lots of feedback. Also the family have made it clear what they want (which means they want to borrow it.......)

So it's definitely a six berth and I'm now working my way through a long list of options.

Shame they all want to come as we'd come to the conclusion that the Bessacarr e765 with side sofas was just what we wanted! Bang goes that idea!

Cheers

M&A / Home&Away

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim cut to the chase,what was the outcome ? I cannot be bothered to read all that :ROFLMAO:
terry
I bet it is a big grey area :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
H

Home&Away

Funster
Aug 21, 2009
West Anglia
Funster No
MH
Haven't got one
Exp
Thanks Jim

I've just red the thread, said to the wife "we're not doing that" and she said "I think I'd go for a kip on the move"......

May need to assert the "driver's in charge" rule!

M(not A)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim

I've just red the thread, said to the wife "we're not doing that" and she said "I think I'd go for a kip on the move"......

May need to assert the "driver's in charge" rule!

M(not A)
:roflmto:

My advice .. let her try sleeping in the luton .. Jan only tried it once.. the swaying made her violently sick.. but she loves the double bed in the RV.. :RollEyes:

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
We have been going through the same dilema but for us 2 or 4 berth....to take Grandchildren........after a lot of soul searching we decided that first and foremost the MH will be for us when hubby retires and then we thought realistically just how many times would the grandchildren come with us....hmmmmm! Maybe 2/3 times a year if that. We then looked at cost to us for buying a larger MH....EEEEEKKKK! So we have talked to quite a few MH owners and they advised us to purchase for us and not the family and that when and if the Grandchildren and/or DD and SIL came with us they could have fun sleeping in the awning......we felt it was very sound and sensible advice that we were given........and we decided not to be ruled by our HEARTS but our HEADS.

So we have fallen for the Swift Sundance 580PR....which seems to be in the running for us at the moment.....a lovely rear lounge which makes a big bed...enough seating area for family and friends to sit etc.....but it won't be for another 15/18 months when hubby retires....in the meantime lots of searching reading and learning at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. Must admit it did make it easier for us once we understood what we required.....also we went for the rear bed option as hubby is 6' 2" and he didn't fit lots of them.:Blush:
Just read another bit of posting and you say about "the family saying what they wanted"..............please think long and harder and even harder still.....I remember saying exactly the same thing........BUT DON'T FORGET YOU ARE BUYING IT FOR YOU AND NOT THEM..........also my daughter went the Oh! WE CAN BORROW IT ROUTE....erm! don't think so. It has been a process over the last few weeks coming to the conclusion that hubby and I have.....but we thought...this is our turn now for something for us.....we have and still do lots for the family....but we thought as well...their turn will come later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Home&Away

Funster
Aug 21, 2009
West Anglia
Funster No
MH
Haven't got one
Exp
Hi Dawnbreak

Thanks for the reply. We were following your thread as it seemed to sum up our thoughts quite nicely!

We'll ponder on your views about the kids too!

Good luck... I think we may be waiting for the NEC in October before we decide.....

M&A

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back