Leisure and Vehicle Battery Charging by SP (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Carthago Chic C-Line with 2 x leisure batteries and a single vehicle battery. 140w SP fitted by Southdowns. I expected all the batteries to be charged by the SP but at present, on this nice sunny day my leisure batteries are showing 13.0v and the vehicle battery is sitting at 12.7v. I suspect that it is not being charged by the SP. Please ask if you need more info to assist.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm not a solar expert, though I also have solar panels in my Carthago Chic, though mine were fitted by Vanbitz
The voltages you mention seem right to me
The solar charges the leisure batteries and the engine battery will take a small charge from the leisure batteries if the voltage drops too low, they are not connected otherwise
In the UK the charge from the solar is still not great as its only March and the sun is still low in the sky

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends if the dealer has fitted a dual output regulator or solar split charge relay, if not the engine battery won't charge. If they have fitted either, the engine battery still won't charge until the leisure batteries are up to about 13.6 volts with a split charge rear or maybe more with a dual output regulator depending how it has been set up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The fitted unit is as the photo attached if that is of any help.
P1010339.JPG

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thats a standard charge controller feeding your leisure batteries only unless there been a stand alone split charge relay fitted somewhere.
If its charging both then the battery voltages should be about the same with the sun shining.
The meter will show the solar panel output at each battery, not the actual battery voltage, which can only be read when the panel isnt charging....ie: at night etc.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I think Vanbitz also fit a Battery Master when fitting their panels. I fitted one to my solar system to allow the engine battery to be charged when low from the leisure batteries. The only criticism I have of the BM is that it does not allow charge to the engine battery until the battery voltage falls to around 11.6 volts.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I have since discovered that both my leisure and vehicle batteries are charged by the system. Leisure batteries first I think then the vehicle when certain parameters are met. In any event it all seem to work well.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My solar is direct to my leasure batteries but through the vans electricky also charges the engine batterybut not until the leasure batt are at about 13.6

Joe

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have an identical controller and it keeps my leisure batteries at 13.8 volts. I can only suggest turn a few things on in the evening for an hour or so, just to drain the battery a bit then check the voltage first thing the next day (it should have recovered a bit from the voltage shown the previous evening) note what the voltage is, then look again at the end of the day. If the panels are working it should show an increase but I don't see why it isn't showing more today. Something isn't right.

Do you not have a meter which shows the amps going into or out of the leisure battery? Without one you will always struggle I think to know what is happening.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some vans have the likes of CBE CSB2 fitted as standard and they need something like 13.8 volts at the leisure batteries before kicking in to charge to the vehicle battery.

Martin

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think Vanbitz also fit a Battery Master when fitting their panels. I fitted one to my solar system to allow the engine battery to be charged when low from the leisure batteries. The only criticism I have of the BM is that it does not allow charge to the engine battery until the battery voltage falls to around 11.6 volts.
I had the exact same setup fitted by Eddie, the Battery Master should start charging the cab battery when the difference is more than 0.5 volts (from memory). Mine certainly seems to maintain the cab battery topped up when there is reasonable daylight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back