Old mobile phone as a tracker? (1 Viewer)

Shipwreck

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E665
Exp
Since April 9th 2016 (2 days!)
Anyone tried this. hide your old smart phone with a cheap sim somewhere in the motor home. If it gets nicked you may be able to track it down. I realise that the phone will need recharging every few days. May be handy if parking in a dodgy area for short periods. Just curious if anyone had done it & the associated pitfalls. Or, is there any tracker out there that does not require an annual fee?

Cheers!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or, is there any tracker out there that does not require an annual fee?

Cheers!

Loads on ebay for very silly prices.

There are phone aps for tracking children which I guess would do but for £30 or so ebay will do a proper job.

OP
OP
Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E665
Exp
Thank you. I will take a look!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This sort of thing has been done for a good few years now so have a Google and see what's suggested as I'm sure there's lot of info out there.

OP
OP
Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E665
Exp
Thank you, just looking now. Must admit I'm surprised at the price & availability.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome any to Fun. :)

GiffGaff do a 2g sim or at least they did and may still do, which is one of the cheapest you can get. It will be around £5 per month and will be sufficient for a tracker like the Rewire one.

Not necessarily the cheapest place to buy one, look on eBay but this is the sort of thing you need. You can get chargers for them so in theory you could wire it in. https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/102-nano-gps-tracking-device-hard-wired-kit

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use this......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231615411066?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

tracking by phone call location request, text message location request or live mapping via free website.
Alerts you when the vehicle moves and has radius and coordinates geo-fence....along with loads of other functions.

First it texts you with an alert which includes a link to google maps showing current location, then you decide which tracking method to use.

DONT be tempted by the cheaper chinese versions of the nano 102, they DO NOT WORK.
I know as I bought one.
First problem....the on off button didnt work, I had to remove the battery to turn it off.
Second, it wouldnt accept ANY text commands or inform me it was moving.
Refunded !!! then bought the rewire one.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome any to Fun. :)

GiffGaff do a 2g sim or at least they did and may still do, which is one of the cheapest you can get. It will be around £5 per month and will be sufficient for a tracker like the Rewire one.

Not necessarily the cheapest place to buy one, look on eBay but this is the sort of thing you need. You can get chargers for them so in theory you could wire it in. https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/102-nano-gps-tracking-device-hard-wired-kit
I use a giffgaff 2G payg sim.
Last 6 months cost around 74p and around £4 in device set up texts

The one in my link includes the hardwire kit free of charge.
Customer service appears to be call centre based but they know their stuff and can sort any problems from their end remotely if the device is registered.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E665
Exp
At that sort of price it's well worth a try. Getting my wallet out now!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At that sort of price it's well worth a try. Getting my wallet out now!
Forgot to say welcome to the Fun House ... I see we've managed to encourage you to 'open' your wallet even more! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E665
Exp
Thank you. It's a very tight wallet, trying to get over the purchase of a motor home. Just need to lay down now!

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Answering Shipwreck's original post. I was able to track my handbag with my phone in it, when I left it on a bus in Cornwall. Google find my phone showed me its progress on a map. As long as it was still on the bus route I knew it was ok. I called the bus driver and he dropped it off at my nearest stop. Big relief. So I think it would work well in a MH.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Firstly welcome to the house of Funsters :)

I have an old iPhone and newer iPad. They have the ability to use the "find my iPhone/iPad" Tracks them down on a street map too :)
image.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Shame it wasnt opened enough to pay the subs and become a full member. :D
... give him time PPJ ... he'll be back for more help and then we'll nab him! :LOL:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I use this......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231615411066?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

tracking by phone call location request, text message location request or live mapping via free website.
Alerts you when the vehicle moves and has radius and coordinates geo-fence....along with loads of other functions.

First it texts you with an alert which includes a link to google maps showing current location, then you decide which tracking method to use.

DONT be tempted by the cheaper chinese versions of the nano 102, they DO NOT WORK.
I know as I bought one.
First problem....the on off button didnt work, I had to remove the battery to turn it off.
Second, it wouldnt accept ANY text commands or inform me it was moving.
Refunded !!! then bought the rewire one.

The link is not working for me @pappajohn have you another as I'd like a look at this please....(y)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
The above link works for me @Sas r us.

I find the Nano tracker a great cheap bit of kit highly recommended.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The link is not working for me @pappajohn have you another as I'd like a look at this please....(y)
If you've got ad-blocker on it will stop it opening, disable it, refresh this page and then click on the link and it should work.

?

Deleted User
How about just not parking in a dodgy area. If your van gets nicked with the cheap shit phone idea and you cant find it for a few days what now when the battery dies? Why not pull the ignition wire and put an on/off switch on it and hide under dash if that worried and dig deep and pay for the real thing.

Charlie Farley

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Powys
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I7150
Exp
I use a giffgaff 2G payg sim.
Last 6 months cost around 74p and around £4 in device set up texts

The one in my link includes the hardwire kit free of charge.
Customer service appears to be call centre based but they know their stuff and can sort any problems from their end remotely if the device is registered.
@pappajohn how did you activate the sim? Does it need to go into a phone to do this or just pop it in the device?
I originally had the lyca sim then forgot to call the device, the sim deactivates after 90 days Spent ages waiting to speak with their customer services then gave up. So now ordered a giffgaf payngo sim as I only want the text function.

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Or you could use (cheaper) bluetooth trackers that are designed to ... track things, such as Tile or or similar, that don't need regular charging, and don't look worth stealing from the 'van if the 'van gets stolen (and are small enough not to be noticed anyway). These days there are enough users of most of these type of trackers to be able to find a missing item for you, whether the item in question is a bunch of keys, a wallet or a .

If you go for Tiles they're sealed, and need to be replaced after about a year when the battery runs out. Other brands have replaceable batteries, but I figure that getting updated hardware each year is no bad thing.

Here's are a couple of comparison reviews
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-key-finders,review-2657.html
http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/01/29/c...s-wuvo-the-ultimate-tracking-device-showdown/
Search for Bluetooth Trackers for more.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For info - the current range of Bessacarr (Swift) MHs now have a built-in SIM which allows you to monitor (and even control) some features inside your MH remotely, through the control panel via phone or computer. Alerts can be sent via SMS and email if certain levels drop too low, or if the vehicle's location changes. It's free of charge for the first three years - after that I haven't a clue. Obviously I'm not suggesting the OP switches MHs, but the technology is out there when making future choices.

The system is called . I mention it because surely it can't be long before this is a standard feature in most MHs, if it isn't already in other makes. It's licensed by Swift's electrical division, Sargent. Here's a screenshot of one of the panels that pops up on your computer when you log in:

Broken Link Removed

Strangely enough Swift also try to charge you nearly £100 a year to adopt their separate category 6 tracking service.

Personally I think it's largely technological overkill, and can manage without most of it, but the battery state and location monitors are quite useful when the vehicle is in storage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back