why you should take more than one credit card with you !! (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just had a phone call with Barclays, apparently they have decided to cancel all MasterCard versions of their card!! Great, no letter informing me of that, and they can't send a replacement to a Barclay's bank in Europe, just to a campsite that I have never stayed at and would have to make arrangements with to keep my replacement card and go to. As it will probably take days to get to Europe!!! Lots of opportunities for fraud then and lots of inconvenience for me!!!! Plonkers! Luckily I have another 2 credit cards available should I need them!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I had some communication from Barclays a while ago informing me of this & a Visa c/card was despatched.

Same here,,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Six years ago I was visiting my terminally ill father in Cumbria when HSBC cancelled my credit card. It was for a legitimate reason, an Internet supplier had been hacked and credit cad numbers stolen. Four fraudulent transactions had been carried out. So far so good.

However, it was the only credit card I had with me and they would only send the replacement to my home, 320 miles away.

I managed to get by using the ATM's but, ever since, I always carry two cards. My wife carries a third.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Definitely a good idea. I've had my capital one card cancelled (another sent to home address) while a way twice now despite notifying them I wouled be using it abroad.

To cap it my bank HSBC, blocked my account while away (again notified) 2 years ago. I had arranged for RM to forward post to my daughter's address, a statement got through the system and was returned to sender! Cost a bloody fortune in calls!

We now carry between us 3 different CCs, a switch card and a currency card. Learned our lesson big time.

Dick

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
hi.
Only of use in the UK,for small amounts..... Cash Back,Tesco etc. Some one ?..... forgot my Pin number,working away for another three and a half weeks,this system kept me fed and watered until i got home for the new card.
"Every little helps".. Not wrong there.
Tea Bag

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Odd one out here.. don't have any credit cards.. never miss them never need them..

had them in the past but got rid of them when we retired 10 years ago

Debit card and small amounts of cash is all I use, home and abroad..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Odd one out here.. don't have any credit cards.. never miss them never need them..

had them in the past but got rid of them when we retired 10 years ago

Debit card and small amounts of cash is all I use, home and abroad..

I used to be the same Jim until I broke down in the car in France. My breakdown cover allowed me to have a free car hire until my own was fixed. Problem was, no hire company would let me have one without a CC, even though I was not paying for it, the breakdown cover was.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I used to be the same Jim until I broke down in the car in France. My breakdown cover allowed me to have a free car hire until my own was fixed. Problem was, no hire company would let me have one without a CC, even though I was not paying for it, the breakdown cover was.

yes.. I can see that could be useful..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It gets worse, try hiring a larger vehicle, the hire company require two CC in the same name for the deposit.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well, I guess I won't be hiring any vehicles then..
I'm in the process of arranging a car today to pick up at airport on arrival. I could be over careful but I do spend time looking at every angle before I pick it up, I like to be familiar with all the small print before I hand my CC over.(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Always carry a couple of spare cards and a couple of spare phones,,,,just in case,,. They take no space up,,,,BUSBY:):)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Barclaycard informed us a couple of months ago and recently sent out replacement cards now Visa. Why they think we need 2 visa accounts is baffling.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Credit cards - for the UK:
  • Asda CC which gives cashback
  • Tesco which gives points (for Eurotunnel (y))
  • HSBC (we got a £25 for having one when we opened current account)
Credit cards - for abroad which don't incur charges for purchases:
  • Nationwide (had it ages)
  • Halifax (only got a few months ago)
  • Aqua (just got) which gives cash back for both the UK and abroad
Cash cards - we ditched the FairFX and Ukash when they started charging:
  • CaxtonFX
  • Revolut
One benefit of having a credit card, rather than relying on debit and or cash is that you get buyer protection on purchases which can be useful, also you don't have to have the cash sitting in your account especially in an emergency if you need to pay a big bill, but just pay it off when the CC bill arrives (in full!) so it give you a bit of breathing space.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having lived for the past 10 years without a Credit Card I see no benefit from having one.. nor been hindered in any way from not having one.

You have buyer protection with The Sale of Goods Act.
I've never had an issue returning goods bought using cash or DC and have returned many things under warranty .

I have enough cash in my account to cover emergencies.

You can hire a car using a Debit Card.. https://www.sixt.co.uk/rental-services/payment-methods/

I still use Cheques occasionally, they come in useful for paying School and Army Cadet expenses .. can also be used on CLs with no card machine, but for them I usual have enough cash.

Ten reasons for not having a Credit Card.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/12/08/10-reasons-i-dont-have-a-credit-card/

Five Myths about Credit Cards

http://moneyfor20s.about.com/od/creditcards/tp/needacreditcard.htm

Yay or Nay.. ?

It's the same as Store cards, Shopping at Tesco or Aldi.. no right or wrong.. just personal choice ..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am like Jim, I don't have a credit card. I have 1 Debit Card and a Paypal Card. I withdraw cash once a week and pay for everything with cash that I can. For internet orders I prefer to use companies that offer paypal. I think the Debit card gets used at most once a month... 7 years of doing this now and never a problem. When my debit card gets blocked due to fraud I drop back to my paypal card until the new card works it way to me wherever I am.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am like Jim, I don't have a credit card. I have 1 Debit Card and a Paypal Card. I withdraw cash once a week and pay for everything with cash that I can. For internet orders I prefer to use companies that offer paypal. I think the Debit card gets used at most once a month... 7 years of doing this now and never a problem. When my debit card gets blocked due to fraud I drop back to my paypal card until the new card works it way to me wherever I am.
I used Paypal on line but didn't know there was a Paypal card ... I shall have to investigate!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Having lived for the past 10 years without a Credit Card I see no benefit from having one.. nor been hindered in any way from not having one.

I've never had an issue returning goods bought using cash or DC and have returned many things under warranty .

You can hire a car using a Debit Card.. https://www.sixt.co.uk/rental-services/payment-methods/

I still use Cheques occasionally, they come in useful for paying School and Army Cadet expenses .. can also be used on CLs with no card machine, but for them I usual have enough cash.

Most reasons not to have a credit card on first list apply to debit cards as well. If your sensible Credit Card is a useful tool. Would not be without mine,,,,BUSBY.

Yay or Nay.. ?

It's the same as Store cards, Shopping at Tesco or Aldi.. no right or wrong.. just personal choice ..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just had a very quick look at the Paypal card which is I believe like a debit card and can only 'draw' on the money in your Paypal account itself so if I understand that correctly it would meant that you'd have to have a good balance of money in there to be able to access it, or be able to keep topping it up on line etc.

However, whilst looking for info about this I came across this interesting piece from Martin Lewis about the benefit of credit cards to pay for things rather than debit cards, and especially Paypal.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75

So, depending on your preference and type of use a debit/cash card combination may suit, or a credit card may be better.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used Paypal on line but didn't know there was a Paypal card ... I shall have to investigate!
It has come in very handy when the bank decides to play silly buggers :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Yay or Nay.. ?

Minor detail I know Jim but have just read the small print for Sixt they require a credit card when hiring a larger vehicle. Debit cards are not acceptable. ;):)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a very quick look at the Paypal card which is I believe like a debit card and can only 'draw' on the money in your Paypal account itself so if I understand that correctly it would meant that you'd have to have a good balance of money in there to be able to access it, or be able to keep topping it up on line etc.

However, whilst looking for info about this I came across this interesting piece from Martin Lewis about the benefit of credit cards to pay for things rather than debit cards, and especially Paypal.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75

So, depending on your preference and type of use a debit/cash card combination may suit, or a credit card may be better.
That is all true. However if you ask any trader they will always tell you that paypal comes down on the customers side more often than not and it is the trader that gets left out in the cold. I don't think I have ever bought anything over £100 on Paypal though so the Section 75 wouldn't apply even if I had a CC.

I think you have to balance out what you are most comfortable with. For me the Paypal card is just a backup for my main debit card. I don't use it regularly.

My paypal account is linked to my bank account, so I can withdraw from my bank account via paypal using the debit card if there isn't enough balance in there.

My Debit card has been defrauded 3 times in the last 10 years. My Paypal account has never had a single dodgy transaction on it. My preference is to use paypal.

Each to their own though. My situation is different to yours and others and my routines may not work for you.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Some european aires require payment by a smart card and a lot of southern French petrol stations now are automated as are those in Norway. So trying to tour without at least 1 credit card can be difficult. Especially if the machine won't accept it, you will need at least 1 alternative.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back