Big day tomorrow (hopefully) (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
After 6 long months wait and 2 unexpected delays, we are due to pick up our first motorhome tomorrow :)
Our revised plans are to have 2 nights at the Grafham Water caravan club site, which is only a short drive from the dealer's, to check it out and get a feel for it before heading home.
One question, do people ever need to use ramps on hard standings?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
From my rather limited experience probably not but it does depend on the site. There will be some sites on a slope where even the hardstanding is not level.
But as a rule, so long as the wine glass does not slide off the table then everything is ok

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
From my rather limited experience probably not but it does depend on the site. There will be some sites on a slope where even the hardstanding is not level.
But as a rule, so long as the wine glass does not slide off the table then everything is ok
Exactly my sentiment(y):)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Why? What angle is not healthy for your fridge?
The gas system when lit has a small flame at the bottom rear of the fridge, this flame MUST burn up inside a small tube for the heat to do its job.
Now the flame is very small and will always burn vertically, so if the van is on a slight slope the flame will burn outside of the tube or not directly into it so wont cool.
Most of the new range of fridges that use gas can work on a slight slope but not too much. However, if you are on EHU you won't be using gas for the fridge therefore won't have a problem. Happy trucking. :)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
After 6 long months wait and 2 unexpected delays, we are due to pick up our first motorhome tomorrow :)
Our revised plans are to have 2 nights at the Grafham Water caravan club site, which is only a short drive from the dealer's, to check it out and get a feel for it before heading home.
One question, do people ever need to use ramps on hard standings?

Congratulations ! Enjoy your new MH :)

In our limited experience we have found ramps are sometimes required on hard standings that aren't level.
Apparently if the fridge is running on gas it needs to be level to operate effectively from what we have read on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Yes !

I don't worry about the fridge too much but do insist on a reasonably level bed !!

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Thanks for the replies. Firstly based on my wheelbase being 3.45m, there would need to be 424mm difference in height between the front and rear wheels to give me a 7degree incline, I think it's unlikely that any hard standing will be on that much of an incline (I'm guessing not many camping fields or even pub car parks either). Secondly if I'm on a hard standing, logically I'm going to have EHU so wouldn't have the fridge on gas anyway :)

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks, (y) I will take them just in case. I just wondered as they take up a fair bit of space in the car.
Can't wait now.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have had to level up on some hard standing pitches, but most are level enough not to be an issue. For levelling purposes we carry one of these in the van:
Amazon product ASIN B0054J47QASimply place it on a work surface, and check both planes (front to rear, and left to right). As long as the bubble is roughly in the middle I don't bother with the ramps.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I have had to level up on some hard standing pitches, but most are level enough not to be an issue. For levelling purposes we carry one of these in the van:
Amazon product ASIN B0054J47QASimply place it on a work surface, and check both planes (front to rear, and left to right). As long as the bubble is roughly in the middle I don't bother with the ramps.

I use a Smartphone app :)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
:)Useful to be level for draining the sink after washing up and draining the shower.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes !

I don't worry about the fridge too much but do insist on a reasonably level bed !!
We agree ! Fridge seems ok but a level bed is a must! Having spent many years in sleeping bags in tents and ending up squashed! We do use chocks on sites with hard standing !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for the replies. Firstly based on my wheelbase being 3.45m, there would need to be 424mm difference in height between the front and rear wheels to give me a 7degree incline, I think it's unlikely that any hard standing will be on that much of an incline (I'm guessing not many camping fields or even pub car parks either). Secondly if I'm on a hard standing, logically I'm going to have EHU so wouldn't have the fridge on gas anyway :)

I cant get my head round the figures just now, but that doesn't sound right are you confusing % and angles?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have seen some motorhomes that need blocks even when the ground is completely level, some seem to be built nose down

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We check to see if Mrs B's wine doesn't slop out of her glass. (y):LOL:

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I cant get my head round the figures just now, but that doesn't sound right are you confusing % and angles?

No my maths is absolutely correct, a 7 degree angle over 3.45 metres gives a rise of 423mm

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck with your new van! (y)

We've still got a couple more more months to wait for our new PVC - ordered in October.

And I reckon definitely worth taking the leveling ramps. We've certainly had to use them on club hardstandings.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have a great day.

If you take the ramps you won't need them and if you don't you'll wish you had them!

Buffy is a "nose down" girl...... usually we can find a pitch that works for us but of not use the ramps :) My job to drive her up onto them as I have better clutch control than him.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a great day.

If you take the ramps you won't need them and if you don't you'll wish you had them!

Buffy is a "nose down" girl...... usually we can find a pitch that works for us but of not use the ramps :) My job to drive her up onto them as I have better clutch control than him.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
I should have gone to Specsavers, at first I read that as better crutch control. :doh::rofl:

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
All went well with the handover, even went to be shown how to fill the Gaslow tank.
Had a really good cosy sleep and didn't fall out of the bed. Even better the wine glasses stayed on the table with no problems (apart from when we were drinking it)! :)
Obviously on a slight slope as the water didn't drain from the shower tray properly but we can live with that, will try the leveller's out another time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back