The value of aire reviews.. and ones to avoid. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When looking for potential aires to use, personal recommendations are very useful.. in fact, invaluable.. and there are plenty members who will give good advice.. myself included..

Books and guides are useful, but may not give an unbiased, unvarnished opinion.. this is where Campercontact is very useful and worth consulting before visiting any aires..

Here is a good example of what to look out for.. looks like a good aire.. unto you read a couple of the reviews.. would you use it ?

Link Removed

France, Spain or elsewhere.. do you know of any others best given a wide berth ?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dunno Jim, TBH.

If I wanted to go there I'd go and have a look at it, and form my own conclusion.

The first person said in January there was low life, but the second person said that 18 days previously there wasn't. And if they are both telling the truth - how do you guess what the situation there is, today? You can't.

OK so Maisie says she had probs - but there again vehicles get broken into anywhere and everywhere. And how do you know she hadn't left her tiara (or whatever) lying about, ASKING for the van to be broken into. You don't.

So basically you are none the wiser than you were before you read the reviews!

OTOH - if several people on Fun say a place is awful or brilliant, then I am more likely to believe them - when they are saying the same thing.

I will say Frank Cooper's Oxford marmalade is the BEST!! (it is)

Pete will tell you that's entirely incorrect, and complete rubbish, because Silver Shred is the BEST!!

Which one of us do YOU believe? LOL

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
When looking for potential aires to use, personal recommendations are very useful.. in fact, invaluable.. and there are plenty members who will give good advice.. myself included..

Here is a good example of what to look out for.. looks like a good aire.. unto you read a couple of the reviews.. would you use it ?

Link Removed

Personally NO I would use it, not my sort of aire , I like small quiet country type with water (i.e. canal lake , river etc.) preferred Free if poss, with basic services but not essential. But that's only my preference !
Yes I use camper contact to research, then go on google street view to check out surroundings.
also use Link Removed
very useful website but again you need to be a member ( there's a cost can't remember how much)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We've never had the need or desire to visit Arles so this particular one is actually (as the EO of our staff association used to say) a matter of complete imbuggerance to me !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I dare say you can get the same sort of reviews for more or less any aire, some like to be in the centre of town , some like to be in the country, so if it's not the one that you prefer you are starting off on the wrong foot, we have been on loads some bad reviews some good but we've always got on all right, and only one we didn't downright like the look of, at the back of a block of flats, can't remember the town, but it was certainly pretty scary it looked as if no one had stayed there since it was built.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Dunno Jim, TBH.

If I wanted to go there I'd go and have a look at it, and form my own conclusion.

The first person said in January there was low life, but the second person said that 18 days previously there wasn't. And if they are both telling the truth - how do you guess what the situation there is, today? You can't.

OK so Maisie says she had probs - but there again vehicles get broken into anywhere and everywhere. And how do you know she hadn't left her tiara (or whatever) lying about, ASKING for the van to be broken into. You don't.

So basically you are none the wiser than you were before you read the reviews!

OTOH - if several people on Fun say a place is awful or brilliant, then I am more likely to believe them - when they are saying the same thing.

I will say Frank Cooper's Oxford marmalade is the BEST!! (it is)

Pete will tell you that's entirely incorrect, and complete rubbish, because Silver Shred is the BEST!!

Which one of us do YOU believe? LOL
Sorry but you are both wrong. The best is Roses lime marmalade.:)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I usually find looking at the location on my iPhone Apple maps in satellite mode gives fair idea, I also use Google Earth for the same purpose. I can see almost exactly where the air is and what surrounds it. Ether have been some in the past that had decent reviews but looking down with the eye in the sky as it were shows the reality.

I suppose what's good for some isn't good for others. For example many give Honfleur bad reviews but pick the right spot on the left nearer the park area and it totally different from the main large part. Many swear by Le Crotoy, yes its convenient for the town but there is only on water tap and when it rains you are in are in a sea of mud. For me, one to avoid in poor weather.

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I will say Frank Cooper's Oxford marmalade is the BEST!!

Always been impressed with Frank Cooper,s.......... but

The best is Roses lime marmalade.

whilst my father would have agreed with the Roses Lime but of course you are all wrong.

My next door neighbour to the North East makes the best Marmalade in the entire Universe, it is just a little more 'bitter' than the good shop bought ones.

The only problem is she doesn't give me enough

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Personally don't read reviews on Aires very often we tend to go by the feel of the place. Only ever left 2 that was because of Itinerants both times.
Example we stay on Calais Aire virtually every return trip but plenty on here swear you'll be murdered in your bed there.
My advice if it doesn't feel right move on no shortage of Aires.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Personally don't read reviews on Aires very often we tend to go by the feel of the place. Only ever left 2 that was because of Itinerants both times.
Example we stay on Calais Aire virtually every return trip but plenty on here swear you'll be murdered in your bed there.
My advice if it doesn't feel right move on no shortage of Aires.

Calais, never a problem but we happened upon one such, (traveller) Aire last week near Les Pieux. We had just spent a lovely night at Sciotot and needed to drop our grey waste. Well.....we followed the coordinates to what can only be described as a traveller campsite, hook up, cars, plants, laundry etc. drove straight out again. If it don't feel right..keep driving.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was looking at the alltheaires book yesterday, and found some places where it didn't show any, but looked at searchforsites and there was loads, with photos for many, I know where we'll be looking(y):)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Stayed there half a dozen times. Not had any problems. Despite the less than flattering reviews you would be hard pushed to get a parking spot. It's a very popular aire.

For anyone contemplating staying there - the large river cruise vessels moor opposite and have their generators running 24 hours. Not excessively loud but the hum is always present.

It's approx 30 minutes from Nimes airport (currently patronised by Ryanair). I use the aire as a night stop prior to picking up passengers from the airport. The city of Arles is a gem with an excellent market.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Stayed there half a dozen times. Not had any problems. Despite the less than flattering reviews you would be hard pushed to get a parking spot. It's a very popular aire.

For anyone contemplating staying there - the large river cruise vessels moor opposite and have their generators running 24 hours. Not excessively loud but the hum is always present.

It's approx 30 minutes from Nimes airport (currently patronised by Ryanair). I use the aire as a night stop prior to picking up passengers from the airport. The city of Arles is a gem with an excellent market.

Where?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we use reviews, but need some caution

a good example for me would be Montreuil sur mer, suggested a couple of years back and used by us then

useful location for town centre, but just an ashphalt car park with recycling right next to parking

went back this year for the location, now a newly set out purpose laid area for 8 motorhomes away from recycling area

my review would move from 5/10 to 9/10

but I put a lot of faith in forum comments and have now used many suggestions (y)

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sorry but you are both wrong. The best is Roses lime marmalade.:)

Thus merely proving to me Glenn that I should feel sorry for you, for not appreciating quality. However never mind - all the more for me! LOL

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
There's actually no marmalade I have ever tasted, that I didn't like - including both of us liking Rose's Lime!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Reviews are useful, but not infallible.

Five years ago we checked hotel reviews on Booking.com to choose between two. One had many reviews saying the hotel was "tired" and in need of renovation, so we chose the other.

The one we stayed at was great but, on visiting the other hotel out of pure nosiness, we found it had been renovated in the interval and looked wonderful.

We still read reviews but treat them purely as a guide and then make our own mind up. With regard to Aires we have visited one or two where we have not liked the look of something and driven out again.

However, m/Hs are also broken into, and stolen off, private drives. You can only take such precautions as you think necessary, and then live with your decision.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Reviews are useful, but not infallible.

And they are only the the opinions of others.

We plan to visit Arles next month (in search of van Gogh's ear) and will probably stay for the first night at the ACSI site L'Arlesienne despite the mixed reviews. If it does meet our standards we will stay a while, if not will move on.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
we use reviews, but need some caution

a good example for me would be Montreuil sur mer, suggested a couple of years back and used by us then

useful location for town centre, but just an ashphalt car park with recycling right next to parking

went back this year for the location, now a newly set out purpose laid area for 8 motorhomes away from recycling area

my review would move from 5/10 to 9/10

but I put a lot of faith in forum comments and have now used many suggestions (y)
We went to Montrueil sur Mer (couldn't see La men) because they perform Les Miserable every year and decided to go. Course the performance is the play (from Victor Hugo novel, not the musical adaptation).
The setting was really nice. Outside, in the castle but it starts late (so freezing late on) and all in French (well why wouldn't they?) so no idea what was happening but thought a little and it was ok.
Nothing particularly special about the Aire.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And they are only the the opinions of others.

We plan to visit Arles next month (in search of van Gogh's ear) and will probably stay for the first night at the ACSI site L'Arlesienne despite the mixed reviews. If it does meet our standards we will stay a while, if not will move on.
Is that where he lost it?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
So the rumour goes but why and whether the recipient of the bit was a working girl or not is still a mystery.
Well I've heard they cost an arm and a leg in France but........
I am to art what he was to music. Hadn't got an ear for it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There
We've been to the aire at Arles. It's OK but nothing special. The town is nice, good roman amphitheatre.
you go,,shows how we are all different,,Wanted to visit Arles for years,,managed it last year,,what a dump,,scruffy city,,The amitheatre was great but we were so disappointed with the rest of the town,,BUSBY:D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back