GPS Position Formats the Basics (1 Viewer)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Help am a new user to Sat Nav (Garmin Camper 760), planning first journey. Trying to get my head around the basics of coordinate format. How do you know which one to use for example: Caen Ferry Terminal is shown on their site as 49.284013,-0.249698. What Coordinate would I select for this in the position format menu. Am a map person so this is all very new to me, expect it is simple to understand really. Thanks in advance oh wise ones(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Select Where To/Coordinates/Spanner symbol and select the Format h ddd.ddddd.

Then type N 49.284013 in the top box and W0.249698

That works for the UK anyway :)

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Select Where To/Coordinates/Spanner symbol and select the Format h ddd.ddddd.

Then type N 49.284013 in the top box and W0.249698

That works for the UK anyway :)
Thanks just trying to understand when/where you would use the different format settings.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks just trying to understand when/where you would use the different format settings.
Just set the format on the device to whatever format you have co-ords to enter. Don't waste time converting them, it isn't necessary unless your satnav won't accept the required format, which I think is unlikely with a Garmin.

My Garmin has three options which you access on mine by selecting format after choosing co-ords from the Where To menu.

The options are

h ddd mm' ss.s which is degrees minutes seconds
h ddd mm.mmm' which is degrees decimal minutes
h ddd.ddddd' which is decimal degrees.

Examples of all three are:

W3° 24' 45"
W3° 45.756'
W3.25176°

Where you can get caught out is the satnav will want N/S and E/W included. In the examples you give the first number needs N added where the h is in the formats above. Negative is West and this can catch you out in Spain for example where you will find locations using both E and W. All co-ords in Europe will be N.

There is no "right" format to use, just use whatever type you have. All co-ords can be expressed in any of these formats. For example all three of these will take you to the same place. (north coord only given)

N4° 30' 00"
N4° 30.00'
N4.500°

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think the different formats are provided simply because different places give their positions using different formats so it saves you having to convert.

If I want to convert coordinates when I'm sat at the PC I use http://www.nearby.org.uk/conversions.cgi

I haven't got an app installed on my phone so will investigate the one that @laser101uk posted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back