LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Desperately wanting to use a campsite nr here. There are quite a few, however, wondered if anyone has done a non steep, non scary drive to any ? Basically wanting quiet site, views if poss and with foot access to the lake where hopefully can hire kayaks ? Any help appreciated.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Used google maps street view and found a great route. Take it not many funsters been here then ? Even got the campsite eyed up :)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Hope to get there early June. (y)

Also contemplating driving through the gorge in the motorhome.:cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fantastic place. We visited last August day trip from St Raphael, but went round both sides of the Gorge and up to the lake in a car, we didn't see any motorhomes on our trip, the odd vw campervan, just looking back through my numerous pictures one photo shows a length restriction sign of 7metres, there are some very tight corners car to car, there are also tunnels and overhangs.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Went years ago on one of the motorbikes.

Trouble with a number of lakeside campsites is that they are in themselves steep, we happened to meet someone in about a 6m van somewhere - and he said he thought anything much longer than him would struggle getting up onto the actual pitches, which are terraced - he had to take a 'run' at the access to theirs!

However, we used to pass a riverside site, further along the river off the road between Moustiers and Castellane, which was a slope down into it - but not precipitous.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Not stayed at a site there ,but there are a couple of good aires!

Attachments

• 20150405_145306.jpg
    20150405_145306.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 14

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We stopped there last year for a few hours on our way back home ... it was a lovely place and I got my inflatable kayak out and had a lovely paddle round, unfortunately there wasn't time to go up the gorge itself but I plan to do so in the future! Parking a MH can be difficult as many of the parking areas have height restriction bars on but if you don't want to be right next to the lake you'll find somewhere suitable. Can't say about a campsite as we never use them and weren't there long enough to use a carpark/aire etc.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Not stayed at a site there ,but there are a couple of good aires!
Hope to get there early June. (y)

Also contemplating driving through the gorge in the motorhome.:cautious:
1 of the routes has major overhangs and steep drops, my mate said he scraped his VW doing it :eek: The other routes tho look great.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Camping St Jean looks to be just perfect for us. We use campsites as it's our holidays and we don't mind paying the equivalent of 2 or 3 pounds more to have outside space you can put your loungers out, eat outside, read etc. It's an ACSI site so very reasonable and the location looks ideal. Just a walk down to the lake and a 700m walk up to the village of Moustiers. Seems you can hire kayaks etc, so we won't take our 2. It's now defo on list for June. So excited. Thanks for your ideas and info mateys xx

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
1 of the routes has major overhangs and steep drops, my mate said he scraped his VW doing it :eek: The other routes tho look great.

Hi
There are some over hangs,but if you take your time they are not a major issue.
It is a beautiful area!:)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Thanks for the information.(y)

Hi
There are some over hangs,but if you take your time they are not a major issue.
It is a beautiful area!:)

Rest assured I'll be like "Driving Miss daisy":LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back