Dealer / Manufacturer cop out, where do I stand? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Some of you may have seen or heard of my Hymer headlight issue

we dealt with Travelworld, initially hoping for a warranty replacement, but then when that failed we stayed with them to get a replacement

£1520 later I end up what turns out to be an incorrectly fitted unit

They fix that, but the new headlight has a slightly different shape, an 'extra' bulge in top corner that now partially stops it locating properly but possibly worse is now pinned up against the body work, IMO really putting us at serious risk of a broken glass if we hit a pot hole

Travelworld have queried the light with Hymer, who insist it is the right unit for my model, however while at Chester we were able to look at three other similar aged Hymers, none have the extra bulge

IMG_1619.JPG

so we are now stuck, TW have said they can do no more, Hymer stick with their opinion that it is the right light and that it is unchanged from when first fitted, I have a light that does not fit properly and will almost certainly suffer from premature breakage

TW have offered a full refund, provided they can remove the light o_Oo_Oo_O

They also now can not locate the original light, various excuses, but without it I can not prove my point

What do I do now?

I have had a similar issue with Hymer where my clock broke, they sent via Lowdams a replacement which physically will not fit in the hole, Hymer response, I should be happy they have found me a replacement as the original is no longer made. I have to hope that something gets lost in translation

I don't want to get all legal, but presume my contract, if I even have one, is with Travelworld, the option for a refund and no headlight is a bizarre offer on their part, what else should I / can I do?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

Why won't they whittle a bit out of the bodywork to make it fit.

They shouldn't need to look at your old light as you have a mirror image of it on the other side, yes I believe your new one is slightly different to the old one so it just needs to be made to fit properly.

DOH, how these people can sell and pretend to offer a service option on £200k vans, yet can't fit a headlight is beyond me.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

Why won't they whittle a bit out of the bodywork to make it fit.

They shouldn't need to look at your old light as you have a mirror image of it on the other side, yes I believe your new one is slightly different to the old one so it just needs to be made to fit properly.

DOH, how these people can sell and pretend to offer a service option on £200k vans, yet can't fit a headlight is beyond me.

Martin

Isn't it oh so easy when you apply simple logic, Terry will be whittling it on Sunday (he doesn't know yet), save me a 150 mile round trip, I have already made an extra one of them to have it refitted :mad:

A bit of me wants them to do it and report back to Hymer that there is a problem, but the reality is I don't think either of them really care :( Hymer mainly, too big, too arrogant, too German maybe, where are Carthago made? :) Premium Motorhomes on Sunday I reckon (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hearing problems like these on expensive 'premium' models makes me content/relieved that I bought a basic decade old slightly shabby van. If it works I'm happy, don't have to worry about perfect fit and/or alignment.
Do sympathise with your issues - the amount these vehicles cost!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have had a very poor assessment of Travelworld recently and he wants me to fix his van rather than a round trip to Telford for yet another botch.

EDIT actually I will post pictures when I rectify it :LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Isn't it oh so easy when you apply simple logic, Terry will be whittling it on Sunday (he doesn't know yet), save me a 150 mile round trip, I have already made an extra one of them to have it refitted :mad:

A bit of me wants them to do it and report back to Hymer that there is a problem, but the reality is I don't think either of them really care :( Hymer mainly, too big, too arrogant, too German maybe, where are Carthago made? :) Premium Motorhomes on Sunday I reckon (y)
Carthago ah German, Premium are Morelo dealers, carefull now it could get expensive oh no they are German as well.

Doesn't leave much choice.

Martin

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Le Voyageur are the premium range from Pilote and Le Voyageur name stuck and RMB got canned!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Camper UK have a newly delivered Carthago Chic 58 S Plus with the new 8 speed ZF box. Its only £161,000 David - but I don't think you'd be too enamoured with the size of the shower. Go-European have a Chic 55 S Plus also just shy of £170,000 and a Carthago High Liner at £184,000. They all have poky showers

If you're going over to Premium check out the the two Morelos (y) Better still have a ride down to Portsmouth and look at some proper buses :rofl:

Or if you're feeling really flush get yourself over to Germany and get one of these.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hearing problems like these on expensive 'premium' models makes me content/relieved that I bought a basic decade old slightly shabby van. If it works I'm happy, don't have to worry about perfect fit and/or alignment.
Do sympathise with your issues - the amount these vehicles cost!
Hymer not premium...have come about tenth in german poles. UK dealers hype them up to justify the inflated prices they charge. They do build decent quality vans though...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Camper UK have a newly delivered Carthago Chic 58 S Plus with the new 8 speed ZF box. Its only £161,000 David - but I don't think you'd be too enamoured with the size of the shower. Go-European have a Chic 55 S Plus also just shy of £170,000 and a Carthago High Liner at £184,000. They all have poky showers

If you're going over to Premium check out the the two Morelos (y)

Just don't be tempted to cherry pick the models...... :imoutahere:
:groan:

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
@DavidG58

Just a thought....

You say "however while at Chester we were able to look at three other similar aged Hymers, none have the extra bulge"

Could you impose upon one of these owners to note/photograph the part numbers details etc., from the headlamp to compare with yours?

Regards,

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

If you're going over to Premium check out the the two Morelos (y) Better still have a ride down to Portsmouth and look at some proper buses :rofl:

Or if you're feeling really flush get yourself over to Germany and get one of these.

Broken Link Removed
Been to look at that one Ken, bit short of payload and storage as no double floor, also a bit bland inside with light woodwork, light leather and light cupboard doors, I wanted to love it but didn't.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58

Just a thought....

You say "however while at Chester we were able to look at three other similar aged Hymers, none have the extra bulge"

Could you impose upon one of these owners to note/photograph the part numbers details etc., from the headlamp to compare with yours?

Regards,

Hi Colin, I could indeed, but actually now don't expect their stand to change

Computer says 'yes' in this case, therefore I must be wrong o_O

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Been to look at that one Ken, bit short of payload and storage as no double floor, also a bit bland inside with light woodwork, light leather and light cupboard doors, I wanted to love it but didn't.

Martin

Martin - Im sure you could order one to your own spec. They are bespoke when all said and done;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am going to upset some people on here now , but I just don't know how some of you put up with this service, god there's folks rideing about in motorhomes that have cost less than a bloody headlight on these supposedly high end motorhomes, and still can't get satisfaction.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Carthago stopped producing high liner last summer when we where at carthago city. Going by German forums and the number of them at factory for repairs it was not without issues.....:rolleyes:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am going to upset some people on here now , but I just don't know how some of you put up with this service, god there's folks rideing about in motorhomes that have cost less than a bloody headlight on these supposedly high end motorhomes, and still can't get satisfaction.

kind of the reason for my post, what can we do?

will be a long time before I reinvest in a new high end MH, the only obvious advantage would be warranty, but knowing my luck there would so much wriggle room in that as not to pay for anything that bust on mine :(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

will be a long time before I reinvest in a new high end MH, the only obvious advantage would be warranty, but knowing my luck there would so much wriggle room in that as not to pay for anything that bust on mine :(

Before you get to dispondent Premier have a first class reputation. ....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

What got me going apart from your troubles, was , we have been to don amotts today just to get a 12 volt plug but had a look round the motorhomes on display and honestly couldn't see one that we would rather have than the old 07 one we have, up to 60 grand and wouldn't beg one of them, apart from fancy stuff couldn't see how they were any different, and no kidding we were only there about half an hour and they sold three autotrails , can you imagine that with all the threads on here.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
The situation as I see it is that you contracted Travelworld to replace the original headlight at a substantial cost; they have failed to do this as the new headlight does not fit properly and, as you say is likely to be broken by constantly being pressured against the bodywork. They are essentially in breach of contract.

You don't know if they have actually been in contact with Hymer, they may be trying to get out of the problem the easy way. I really can't believe that Hymer would allow incorrectly manufactured parts to be supplied to owners of their vehicles.

At the end of the day it is Travelworld's responsibility to sort out the problem. I would politely contact them and point this out, if they decline to take further rectification you go on to say that unfortunately they leave you with no choice other than to commence legal action against them. That may well persuade them to react in a proper manner. If not get a solicitor to write a suitably worded letter, they will not be inclined to ignore that.

As an aside, do you have any legal protection cover included in your motorhome insurance?

Mike

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think this poor couldnt care less service is a European / British thing.
When I had my new Thor Four Winds RV in 2010, a few bits were missing from the original shipment. The dealer I bought from at Hinstock insisted I wait until their next order was shipped. While at the Peterborough show I mentioned this to Steve of Signature RV Westcroft who immediately contacted Thor . I received an email from their customer service manager in Elkhart and received the missing bits from the US in days including t shirts and baseball caps.
After 18 months the radio/ reversing screen played up. A phone call from Signature to Thor and a replacement arrived within days.

Prompt quality customer service from Thor and Signature.

Perhaps a lesson to learn over here.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The situation as I see it is that you contracted Travelworld to replace the original headlight at a substantial cost; they have failed to do this as the new headlight does not fit properly and, as you say is likely to be broken by constantly being pressured against the bodywork. They are essentially in breach of contract.

You don't know if they have actually been in contact with Hymer, they may be trying to get out of the problem the easy way. I really can't believe that Hymer would allow incorrectly manufactured parts to be supplied to owners of their vehicles.

At the end of the day it is Travelworld's responsibility to sort out the problem. I would politely contact them and point this out, if they decline to take further rectification you go on to say that unfortunately they leave you with no choice other than to commence legal action against them. That may well persuade them to react in a proper manner. If not get a solicitor to write a suitably worded letter, they will not be inclined to ignore that.

As an aside, do you have any legal protection cover included in your motorhome insurance?

Mike

They have quoted extracts from the Hymer email responses, I have to believe they are genuine

I would have expected better from Hymer had it not been for the clock issue

will look at the legal protection options, not sure if I refused them though

:Ta2:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... and no kidding we were only there about half an hour and they sold three autotrails , can you imagine that with all the threads on here.
Oooooo, careful, of Jim'll be asking you for your full name and address for the 'London lawyer' too ..... :D

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
What got me going apart from your troubles, was , we have been to don amotts today just to get a 12 volt plug but had a look round the motorhomes on display and honestly couldn't see one that we would rather have than the old 07 one we have, up to 60 grand and wouldn't beg one of them, apart from fancy stuff couldn't see how they were any different, and no kidding we were only there about half an hour and they sold three autotrails , can you imagine that with all the threads on here.
Agree, we went to Brownhills the other day on way back up A1 and lots and I mean lots of peeps looking at autotrails and loads sold on site. Dont figure... Peeps cannot read forums. Must admit like some of the older ones but with the troubles I am not sure i'd buy one. However we did see some nice Rapido's :). Went to SMC around corner and had some top end MH's in and cannot see where the money is being spent. Nice trims but not that nice imho

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hi Colin, I could indeed, but actually now don't expect their stand to change

Computer says 'yes' in this case, therefore I must be wrong o_O

Oh, I do understand that.

I was thinking of you getting your monies refunded from TW and armed with the correct part number details etc., buy from a better thought of dealer parts department.

Regards,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back