Garmin map updates April 2016 (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Garmin have released the 2017.10 Europe map updates for the Camper 760 LMT-D and other devices that use similar maps.
The truck version took about an hour and a half download but the car version looks to be about an hour (currently running).

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Updated mine the night before last. 660 MTL D, took just over 2 hours. All well. It was the second update in about a week as I had received one update when I first registered.

Very happy with the unit and have planned part of my French vacation ready. Still not worked out how to store things on the micro SSD card though (despite consulting manual) I am sure I will find it eventually!

:france:

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Ditto, we've just invested and took delivery of a 660 - doing upgrade as I type.....

Although with the joys of Norfolk broadband it mat take until October....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hopefully th new map may resolve something for me.

My 660 sends me on a very roundabout way to joining the A2 to go towards Dover. It sends me firstly towards London and then routes me around to get me going in the right direction. In total the detour is 1.5 miles. What should happen is that at the point it asks me to join the A2 it should direct me over the A2 to a Roundabout on the other side and then go round that and take the Slip Road onto the A2 towards Dover. The Roundabout is outside a huge Sainsburys and is used by Huge lories going to the industrial estates beyond.

Never had this problem with any Tomtom which also know about the new road layout which means you can avoid going around the roundabout and is quicker.

Doug

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the "heads up" Graham. I have just spent an enthralling two and a half hours updating my 760.:doh::RollEyes:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hopefully th new map may resolve something for me.

My 660 sends me on a very roundabout way to joining the A2 to go towards Dover. It sends me firstly towards London and then routes me around to get me going in the right direction. In total the detour is 1.5 miles. What should happen is that at the point it asks me to join the A2 it should direct me over the A2 to a Roundabout on the other side and then go round that and take the Slip Road onto the A2 towards Dover. The Roundabout is outside a huge Sainsburys and is used by Huge lories going to the industrial estates beyond.

Never had this problem with any Tomtom which also know about the new road layout which means you can avoid going around the roundabout and is quicker.

Doug
I wonder if it has anything to do with the vehicle settings. You could test that by setting it up for a car and putting in the same route. Having isolated the cause of the error, report it to Garmin product support with the details of the junction (coordinates from Google Maps might help). They have been helpful when I've reported things in the past.

Reactions: DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Graham.

The new map has made no difference to the suggested route so will try your suggestion re reporting. .

The point I was trying to point out is that the roundabout I would expect it to use is on the route from the A2 to a large supermarket and some industrial estates. There are always the largest lorries using the route which has 2 lane access both on and off for the route I would take.

Doug

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Bought an Aldi Garmin 660 but took it back after a test run locally... Mapping & data wasn't as accurate nor uptodate as cheapie Noztec... I appreciate the piracy issue but I can't take a moral standpoint without being a hypocrite.
It wouldn't take my PocketGPS speedcam database.
Perhaps theoretically it was "better" than the Noztec but realistically it wasn't anywhere near £150+ better.
IMHO

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
If you want a standby Noztec I will be letting my barely used one go in the not to distant future - suitably discounted.

Clive

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Graham.

The new map has made no difference to the suggested route so will try your suggestion re reporting. .

The point I was trying to point out is that the roundabout I would expect it to use is on the route from the A2 to a large supermarket and some industrial estates. There are always the largest lorries using the route which has 2 lane access both on and off for the route I would take.

Doug
I wonder, as the detour is only 1.5 miles, whether it is a timing matter. Perhaps the programming works out that your preferred route would be a few seconds slower, enough to make it reject that route. I suppose checking both in Basecamp might tell that - but could well be easier to ask Garmin why :)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I struggled with the Garmin update on my recently purchased (Aldi) 660 due to my rural location and pathetic download speeds. After 2 failed attempts I found the menu where you can download directly to your computer, using this method automatically downloads a magic transfer program to send it to the Garmin, worked a treat.

Reactions: GJH

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I have just bought a Garmin 2699 having read reviews and this one coming out better than TomTom.
Initially I'm a bit fed up with the clipped 'voice' which says "at roundabout take second exit", leaving out "the". It sounds awful and I cannot hear it like my old TomTom.
I have looked for new voices and only come up with a choice of about four silly ones from Garmin.
Is there a library of voices in the unit that I can access like on the TT?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I struggled with the Garmin update on my recently purchased (Aldi) 660 due to my rural location and pathetic download speeds. After 2 failed attempts I found the menu where you can download directly to your computer, using this method automatically downloads a magic transfer program to send it to the Garmin, worked a treat.

I've also struggled.. and I have 80meg high speed fibre broadband ..

three times it has downloaded, gone through the process of installing .. then failed.

Oddly when I connect to Garmin Express, it says 'maps up to date, but when I try to copy the maps to Basecamp is then says it needs to update the maps.. and goes through the update procedure and fails ..

Can anyone tell me the updated map version for Full Coverage for Europe.. I have 2017.10

Version 8.30

Edit

just read the OP .. looks like I have the latest maps installed..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back