Flooding; be careful where you park (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
This video shows how quickly dried up river channels can flood, particularly in normally dry environments. Apologies if you do not use Facebook, where the video is embedded - I am not certain that you will be able to see it but for those that do ...

I've seen the power of water that washed tents, cars, lorries and motor homes away - I hope that peeps look for high ground when camping / parking :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My car got washed 50 yards down the street in a flood in the middle of Jeddah after a rainstorm. There are very few drains there and usually blocked by sand anyway. Sent my driver out to tie it to a lamp post to stop it going further. After the water subsided he went out and opened the doors, let the water out and amazingly it started. Gave it back to the lease company and got one a little less moist........

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Folk killed every year in places like Oman etc by flash floods. Tourists too from time to time. The wadis are huge and until you see a video like that you wonder why they are given the place is so parched most of the time. The rain falls in the mountains, miles away and catches people out who are basking in sunshine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I was thinking of similar things when I posted @DBK - I know how tempting it is to camp close to small streams but they can easily become flooded nightmares even in tamer countries such as Spain. There was a programme reconstructing a flash flood recently with someone like Bear Grylls and he almost didn't make it out alive when the flood waters came.

Reactions: DBK

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Folk killed every year in places like Oman etc by flash floods. Tourists too from time to time. The wadis are huge and until you see a video like that you wonder why they are given the place is so parched most of the time. The rain falls in the mountains, miles away and catches people out who are basking in sunshine.

Yep seen floods in Yanbu with distant clouds and blue skies.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back