What printer do you have and is it any good? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
What printer do you have connected to your computer?
Is it any good?
Does it accept non original manufacturer's ink cartridges?

I'm loosing the will to live with my printer (HP Officejet 6310) which is telling me to replace the cartridge but says the same with the newly inserted full cartridge.

HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPPP !

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry @GAVLAD can't help but would like to add a further question to anybody answering:
what's the best lightweight, wifi, mini-printer for in the van?

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I just want one that works by the way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It depends what you want to do with it. I truly despise HP printers so my first advice would be to throw that one in the skip.

If it's just basic text based documents then I've always found the cheapo throw away Epsons to be as good as anything.

For photos then I always recommend the Canon Pixma range for a home printer. I have an MG7550 at home. That's the 6 colour one. It produces great photo results. EDIT: If you're printing photos then the paper is at least as important as the printer. Don't buy the cheap stuff.

If you need a mix of documents and pictures then stick with Canon but perhaps lower down the range than that one.

Finally don't ever use anything other than genuine ink. I don't care what anyone says or how cheap they are. The colour rendering is never ever correct and the longevity of the output is never the same. It also voids your warranty and yes they can tell the difference. I make my living from graphics and print so that's not just uninformed opinion. (y)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Kodak. Hero. Works well and not thirsty on cartridges. Only down side is there are only two cartridges colour and black.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I have a Kodak ESP 2150, I like it.
All in one printer / copier / fax.
I understand the inks are the cheapest, they are readily available and at the price they are, not worth using look alikes.
I had an HP printer, it wouldn't recognise look alike cartridges.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I also lost patience with these 'giveaway' printers that cost more for a new ink cartridge than the printer cost, and conk out in no time.

I bought Amazon product ASIN B00CAS9EUC
Though not from Amazon, mine was cheaper at Staples round the corner and they chucked in 10 packs of paper.
Its only drawback is it is a big beast and it needs two people to move it.

Edit - my link didn't seem to work. It is a
Canon i-SENSYS MF8280Cw Colour Wi-Fi Multifunction Laser Printer

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Another vote for the Canon pixma range. Great prices.. good wireless and don't look too bad either.

Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I got a Canon 44" wide format.... would need a trailer to take it with me in the MH, if I could get it out the house LOL!!!

as per your OP I've found cheapo printers not worth the box they come in and worth spending the extra and also don't use compatibles as they will wreck print heads eventually.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have a refurbished Brother HL-2030 b/w laser which I bought from their warranty return shop for half its usual price some years ago.

The beauty of this model is you can refill the toner cartridge yourself, and easily reset the little plastic clip gadget which is intended to prevent re-use of the cartridge. Consequently I've been running this printer for years at around £5 or less per refill because I buy the toner in bulk-sized bottles. The last one was £30 for a kilo, and 90g will refill the cartridge.

Before getting any b/w laser I'd investigate the availability of refills for the exact model I had in mind - I wouldn't buy one I couldn't refill myself. I've lost count of how many times I've told school admin staff about this, only to see them re-ordering new cartridges at around £50 apiece.

For colour photo printing I have a Canon Pro9000 II A3 printer which uses 8 different ink cartridges, and the cheapest I can get the genuine ones for is £8 each. Most definitely not economical printing but the quality is superb if that's what you want.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I am another that hates HP or Dell... my favourite is an Epson.. i have had mine for years, lost count now how long, it is an Epson stylus DX6000 , i only use genuine inks as a previous Epson seized after putting in compatible inks ... It did carry a warning..I just love the results of the printing, looks so professional , well to me anyway lolol
I also have a wireless Epson printer but cant recall the model as it is in the m/h

Kath

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I would imagine there would be COSHH issues with anyone in somewhere like a school refilling toner themselves.

Doubtless, although not beyond the wit of any technician with latex gloves and a dust mask. In my first school a bungling deputy head used to refill the photocopier with toner, and anyone with sense used to stay well clear when he did it, unless they wanted to end up looking like a Victorian chimney sweep.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
For colour stuff I use a Canon Pixma iP4600 with non-OEM ink and it's fine for what I want. Slow on first print and the cartridges (OEM or not) have never lasted very long. But more reliable than my previous Epson and Canon doesn't follow the same anti-competitive practices as Epson.

For B&W text I still use my 12 year old HP Laserjet 1015.....one of the best bits of IT gear I've ever bought. Not using genuine toner cartridges on that either. It just keeps running.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Ive got an Epson PX710w, had it for about 4 years now, apart from doing the normal things like printing it accepts CD's into a slot and copies CD covers onto newly copied discs, Its wi fi connected and takes non original (6) cartridges for a fraction of the Original costs with excellent colour reproduction on photographs, love it!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We currently have two printers....an Epson and a Lexmark.

Both are wireless, when they want to be and are very temperamental.
Both are ink thirsty.

Time both were retired and we are considering one of THESE.

Not cheap to buy but the savings on expensive and miniscule ink cartridges will be massive.
Shirl uses an enormous quantity of ink when she gets her teeth into something, the latest project is her daughters wedding invites and 'save the day' cards....all in intricate designs and full colour.
She designs and prints a batch then changes the layout/content/colours then prints another 100 or so then changes her mind again.
Regular ink carts can last as long as 2 days.....if she's lucky and the printers behave.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I use an Epson XP422, which came from PCW, can't remember the price but THIS one is £49 on Amazon. Uses very cheap compatible cartridges, the last ones I bought were

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Dell 1320CN colour laser
Gave up on problematic inkjets.
Cheap as chips, compatible toner, no more wondering what - if anything - will appear in the out tray. Laser just works.
Only downside is its now discontinued but I'd have no hesitation buying another later model.

*perhaps the Dell 1760NW at £100 from eBuyer. WiFi & complete compatible toner set from £17...

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use ex-office lasers (any make) bought off eBay. Buy another when the toner runs out. I've had two in the last 10 years. Use Quickprint on line for bulk photo prints & a mini dye sublimation jobbie for the odd photo print at home.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Dell 1320CN colour laser
Gave up on problematic inkjets.
Cheap as chips, compatible toner, no more wondering what - if anything - will appear in the out tray. Laser just works.
Only downside is its now discontinued but I'd have no hesitation buying another later model.

*perhaps the Dell 1760NW at £100 from eBuyer. WiFi & complete compatible toner set from £17...

Another downside of laser printers - any laser printer - is that you are restricted on the types of media that they will accept.

They're fine if all you want to print are documents at high volume but not a great choice for any other application.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Shirl uses an enormous quantity of ink when she gets her teeth into something, the latest project is her daughters wedding invites and 'save the day' cards....all in intricate designs and full colour.
She designs and prints a batch then changes the layout/content/colours then prints another 100 or so then changes her mind again.
Regular ink carts can last as long as 2 days.....if she's lucky and the printers behave.

For something like that where you need high quantities it would almost certainly work out cheaper to get them printed by someone else - Vistaprint or someone like that - once she's done the artwork.

That's what I usually do. I can't match them on cost at all - not at home and not through my business.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have an old for some years now Epson dx5000 muti scan/print/copy
Does what I want it to do.managed to find non Epson ink packs good enough for me .but only a occasional user .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'm loosing the will to live with my printer (HP Officejet 6310) which is telling me to replace the cartridge but says the same with the newly inserted full cartridge.

HHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPPP !
Same here. First time new , HP, cartridges installed wouldn't recognise the colour one & still doesn't.
Fortunately had a canon on mine that came with us from UK. When that died bought another pixma one.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I just want one that works by the way

After a bit of research i bought an Epson XP225 wireless printer/scanner based on online reviews, the price and the cost of replacement cartridges online.

The printer is great, both on Windows and Mac, and I got 20 replacement cartridges for just over 8 quid, 4 each of the 3 colours and 8 black.

Printed a whole mass of pages lately, just fitted my 2nd replacement set.

You still get ink level reporting, just switch off the nagging 'error reporting' in settings.

HTH,

Hymie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back