Leisure batteries fitted under driver and passenger seat (1 Viewer)

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
hi, looking for some advice, yesterday rang 2 different fitters to get a quote on having 2 new leisure batteries fitted. First one quoted £350 for 100am wet batteries. I then told him it has a gel battery due to being in the cab. He replied that doesn't matter he can sort that and wet batteries are better than gel, but if I wanted gel £600, fitted. Then the other fitter I rang quoted about the same but said gel are a better option and a better battery. If anbody feels like giving advice and help I would well appreciate. Thank you

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Watch these 3 vids before you decide, leisure batteries is just one big con.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Don't forget to check that your charger is suitable for gel batteries... mine has a series of internal switches depending on battery type and capacity.. may not be critical but just thought I'd mention it
Andy

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Thank you all for the advice, especially the you tube videos, now I think I will go with wet batteries, and move them under the bench seat, has I can have easy access to them, I have now found the switch where I can switch from gel to wet , another thing I have learned.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've put a second battery under my passenger seat, so now 110 amp wet battery under each seat and I drilled a hole down to the outside for each battery breather pipe. The only thing is if leaving under seats, make sure you get low profile battery's.(Hymer B584 2001)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thank you all for the advice, especially the you tube videos, now I think I will go with wet batteries, and move them under the bench seat, has I can have easy access to them, I have now found the switch where I can switch from gel to wet , another thing I have learned.

Before deciding.. a few points to ponder..

Have you looked at the existing battery cables, will they not need replacing due to the longer run ?

The 50A battery fuses (mounted under the seat) will also need re-siting

They should also be inside proper battery boxes and vented to the outside..

You also lose storage space..

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Thanks manic, sounds good battery under each seat, where did you run the wires to joined the batteries up.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks manic, sounds good battery under each seat, where did you run the wires to joined the batteries up.
I ran the wires between the seats. The Hymer floor covering ends level with the front of the seat boxes and then the original fiat rubber floor mat ends just under this and I tucked my wires under rubber mat and then they go under seat box bottom front edge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like Jim I brought a pair of gels from Tanya for £300. Personally I would stuck with the gels, treated right you will get well over 5 years out of them. The seats have got to come out anyway to remove the old batteries.
Take Sterling's view with a pinch of salt he has very biased opinions.

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
I ran the wires between the seats. The Hymer floor covering ends level with the front of the seat boxes and then the original fiat rubber floor mat ends just under this and I tucked my wires under rubber mat and then they go under seat box bottom front edge.
Hi manic I am now going to order my 2 batteries. Could I just ask a bit more advice, I have had the drivers seat of today and noticed a 50 am fuse, did you put another fuse with the second battery. Or is it just has simple has wiring the first battery to the second battery.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi manic I am now going to order my 2 batteries. Could I just ask a bit more advice, I have had the drivers seat of today and noticed a 50 am fuse, did you put another fuse with the second battery. Or is it just has simple has wiring the first battery to the second battery.

you require a 50A fuse at BOTH ends of the cable linking the second battery..

typical install

practical-considerations-of-battery-banks-07.jpg

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
My advise is go talk to someone on THIS planet.

£600 fit fit two new batteries....their having a laugh.
I agree, bought my van 6 months ago knowing nothing absolutely nothing, but am I learning quick, and that's a lot to do with motorhome fun and it's members. Thank god I joined, . Saved a bomb .

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
at the very least .. the ones I replace were, as far as i could determine, the original fitted by Hymer.. in 2001 .. and still working ok
Hi scotjimland had the seat of today found elecsol carbon fibre mono bloc dual purpose engine start + deep cycle, found out this is a wet battery and should have a breather pipe. So no way can this be the original Hymer battery. Not a happy bunny. Not sure if dangerous or not to late now I have been using for 6 months, but sorting this weekend .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My advise is go talk to someone on THIS planet.

£600 fit fit two new batteries....their having a laugh.

sound s a lot.. but not so far out John..
its' not just changing batteries.. it's installing a second one..

remove and replace both seats..
run new cables under floor between seat boxes.
fit 2 x 50 fuse holders.

materials
Supply GEL batteries x 2 = £300
cable + fuses + sundries.. £40

Labour

at £60 per hour .. four hour job = £240

£580

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi scotjimland had the seat of today found elecsol carbon fibre mono bloc dual purpose engine start + deep cycle, found out this is a wet battery and should have a breather pipe. So no way can this be the original Hymer battery. Not a happy bunny. Not sure if dangerous or not to late now I have been using for 6 months, but sorting this weekend .

definitely not Hymer OEM ..

as you are aware wet cells should be vented outside.. so either replace with two new wet cells with breather pipes routed outside.. or fit GELs

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
definitely not Hymer OEM ..

as you are aware wet cells should be vented outside.. so either replace with two new wet cells with breather pipes routed outside.. or fit GELs
Think what I am going to do is order 2 gel batteries, fit the one under the seat ASAP. So I feel safe, then try and see if I can fit the second one myself at a later date, if not I am going to have to pay, £60 a hr. Daylight robbery

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Think what I am going to do is order 2 gel batteries, fit the one under the seat ASAP. So I feel safe, then try and see if I can fit the second one myself at a later date, if not I am going to have to pay, £60 a hr. Daylight robbery

good plan.. but don't delay too long in fitting second one.. best if both start their working life at the same time..

shop around, you may find an auto electrician who would fit the second cheaper than a dealer..

sorry I don't live near you or would have helped you do it ..

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
good plan.. but don't delay too long in fitting second one.. best if both start their working life at the same time..

shop around, you may find an auto electrician who would fit the second cheaper than a dealer..

sorry I don't live near you or would have helped you do it ..
Thank you for the advice and offer, good to know,there are still decent human beings on the earth. I am meeting a friend tomorrow who has a friend who is a auto electrical. So fingers crossed may get it done. Thanks again

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sound s a lot.. but not so far out John..
its' not just changing batteries.. it's installing a second one..

remove and replace both seats..
run new cables under floor between seat boxes.
fit 2 x 50 fuse holders.

materials
Supply GEL batteries x 2 = £300
cable + fuses + sundries.. £40

Labour

at £60 per hour .. four hour job = £240

£580
Just to be pedantic Jim, the OP simply said replace two batteries.
No mention in the first post of fitting a second or installing wiring for such.
Having not read the whole thread, as usual with me, I assumed it was just the cost of a pair of batteries and an hours work.
A pair of decent batteries....£300 plus an hours labour....£300.
Im in the wrong job. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back