Calor centre say they won't fill up refillables (2 Viewers)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've just come back from my local Calor centre where I asked about getting my Gaslow/Gasit bottles refilled (not yet obtained and fitted - but I wanted to find out if I could fill up there). They said they would not fill up such a system unless it was a proper automotive installation. They showed me a document which was UKLPG Info sheet 031 - July 2013 (NCC Code of Practice 306 - Motorhomes). This was several pages long and I did not have time to take it all in. I have not been able to find a download for this yet so can't see the details of his arguement. I did say that the system would be fully plumbed in with an external filler point. He said that if the tank could be removed in any way then they would not refill it. Has anyone else tried filling up at a Calor centre (which was closest and cheapest for me)?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They make the bulk of their profits from selling their full bottles at super-inflated prices, no surprise that they are not interested in refillables. In Benidorm, I was paying £8.75 for a 13kg bottle. Calor in the UK charge almost 3 times that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Might be worth getting a price for an underbelly tank as would be the case for automotive fuelling , that would free up your gas locker for general storage.

Hi.
As above,and you could/can,have it changed over to your next M/home,result.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
  • It was the fact that they had a document backing up their refusal that concerns me. If they can will others? I wish I had had the time to read and understand it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They could easily come up with a document backing up any old tosh they want to tell you. That doesn't make it mean anything.

They have a vested interest in you continuing to buy their over priced cylinders so it's no real wonder they won't fill anyone elses.

If they don't want your business just take it elsewhere. There are plenty of places that will welcome you.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I've just come back from my local Calor centre where I asked about getting my Gaslow/Gasit bottles refilled (not yet obtained and fitted - but I wanted to find out if I could fill up there). They said they would not fill up such a system unless it was a proper automotive installation. They showed me a document which was UKLPG Info sheet 031 - July 2013 (NCC Code of Practice 306 - Motorhomes). This was several pages long and I did not have time to take it all in. I have not been able to find a download for this yet so can't see the details of his arguement. I did say that the system would be fully plumbed in with an external filler point. He said that if the tank could be removed in any way then they would not refill it. Has anyone else tried filling up at a Calor centre (which was closest and cheapest for me)?
We filled up at our local Calor depot at Risby on A14 last week no problem. They have a pump just by the gate that can be accessed by general public, the guy in front had a big cylinder on the back of his truck and there was a car behind us waiting to fill.

When you say " Calor Centre" what do you mean? Do you mean somewhere that sells the refillable bottles, if so you may be at the wrong place
Chris

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

I can have a Motor home under slung, or car Do-Nut tank out in under 5 mins
did he give you a time limit too;) :LOL:

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
A copy of the document they seemed to be referring to. I'm not sure it helps their argument, but it is only 2 pages long.

Attachments

• DOC529F578F14120.pdf
    283.1 KB · Views: 49

Deleted User
Easy solution, buy it from elsewhere.

Calor are only interested in maintaining their monopoly IMO (mind you I am a t**t!!)

Deleted User
A copy of the document they seemed to be referring to. I'm not sure it helps their argument, but it is only 2 pages long.

Ah the NCC, aren't they the same organisation that approved a fire extinguisher for motorhome use that couldn't achieve a simple A rating?

Makes you wonder what influences their decision making process.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I buy my gas at North Tuddenham Garage: should be close to you too. They are more than happy to carry my bottles to their tank, latch on, fill up etc.

They also fit tanks if you want help. (Also good for MOTs if you need that!) - Gordon

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Yup, got to agree its makes more sense than the one in the OP (UKLPG Info sheet 031)
Thanks

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I was refused as well, so I sent him back inside to get the paperwork and filled it myself !! The Bellend !!
Thanks for the heads-up about Tuddenham.
Mitch. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Thanks for that. I have printed it and will carry it with us.

I also carry the paperwork from Autogas 2000 to show that it was professionally and correctly fitted, never been asked for it (but have offered it) and also never been refused.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
My FIL get his Gaslow filled at the Calor Centre in Liverpool. Are you sure it wasn't just a jobsworth you were talking to?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
"may be permitted to be re-filled at autogas refuelling sites provided they:
1are not removed for refilling; and
2are secured in a suitable enclosure; and
3 are fitted with an internal device to physically prevent filling beyond 80%; and
4are connected to a fixed filling connector which is not part of the container."

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
No hassle from Morrisons, filled up with diesel and gas at the same time, no questions. Also tried to swap an empty butane for a full propane same size as per calor website and was refused at the first place. Next day was passing a main dealer and had absolutely no problems. I suspect the reality is some managers 'simplify' the rules for forecourt staff to make sure they don't make a balls-up.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Steve, Shell Autogas at Fakenham, x2 Shell stations on the A14 Cambridge, Diss LPG on Victoria road, Shell Oulton Broads & Morrisons Ipswich; plus a few others I most probably do not know about - so many chances to refill inbound or outbound to Norwich.

We have Gaslow with an external filling point in the MoHo skirt and have been OK over the last two years.

I hope this helps.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I must say I'm glad I fitted an external fill point on the opposite side to my gas locker as I have never been asked about it at all. The only question I have been asked is it for cooking or driving as the tax is less for cooking. If you get stuck ask where the local private hire lads fill up, in Bolton it's 42p a litre.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes I was refused as well, so I sent him back inside to get the paperwork and filled it myself !! The Bellend !!

The Calor Center in Norwich and any other lpg supplier for that matter are retailers and have the right to refuse service to any customer if they wish, so long as it is not on the grounds of discrimination.

If I happened to be a retailer of lpg and happened to read posts such as this then I would ban ALL motorhomes ... lets hope Calor don't read this forum!

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Filled up yesterday at a Shell 'autogas' (50.3 per litre) station no bother at all...two Gaslow 11kg bottles, skirt fitting fill point... this problem has started due to the more and more vehicles now running on LPG which of course are built in during the manufacturing process thus more regulation............

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A Gaslow system is permanently plumbed in and by definition, fixed as a result.
The shape of the cylinders is irrelevant.

I suppose if you were really keen, a metal strap instead of the usual POS webbing ones could reinforce the definition of 'fixed'.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A Gaslow system is permanently plumbed in and by definition, fixed as a result.
The shape of the cylinders is irrelevant.

I suppose if you were really keen, a metal strap instead of the usual POS webbing ones could reinforce the definition of 'fixed'.
Looking at the two information sheets posted, the shape is relevant if only to avoid the situation whereby somebody hooks up a vehicle fuel tank to hold gas for domestic use, rather than using a purpose made domestic tank. I suppose it's logically similar to differentiating between cylinders designed to be refilled by their owners and those which people use eBay adapters with.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The only time I have been stopped filling up I told the bloke it was for the on board genny..
Oh, thats ok then.. and he walked off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back