Beam deflecters (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
Do you have to have the beam reflecters on or just carry them.(France and Swizerland)?
Mike

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Defo need them on, otherwise your beam will be shining wrong position. We usually do ours in the chunnel.

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
If beam deflectors are so important why dont they sell them in France & Holland for people travelling to the UK? I have never seen a frenchman at Calais fitting deflectors to his/her vehicle before getting on the ferry. I know lots of brits who dont bother fitting them to their vehicles & have never known one get stopped for not having them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If beam deflectors are so important why dont they sell them in France & Holland for people travelling to the UK? I have never seen a frenchman at Calais fitting deflectors to his/her vehicle before getting on the ferry. I know lots of brits who dont bother fitting them to their vehicles & have never known one get stopped for not having them.

That is because foreign vehicles, when dipping ,do not dip to the right ( as opposed to the UK's dipping to the left) & lighting the kerb area.They have a flat beam that is up or down, so don't need hem.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Maybe because a lot of us endeavour to be more considerate to other road users?:rolleyes:

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Personally I think its because the Brits always get conned eg "You must have a breathalyser kit in your vehicle to drive in France" I wonder how many funsters have one of those in their glove compartment...............& it was never made law, it was only proposed so the ferry companies & AA jumped on the bandwagon & loads bought one.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I saw them for sale on the ferry. ..for both the Uk and abroad.
We havent took ours off. At ÂŁ6.99 its a rip off for the cost it must take to make them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We forgot to take ours off after the summer and the van passed its MOT with them on.

I think I will just leave them on now.

We hardly ever drive in the dark anyway in the van.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
On Brittany ferries you can buy deflectors suitable for both UK vehicles in Europe and vica versa.

Our Sprinter based PVC has a small lever on each headlight that enables us to switch the lights to dip either to the left or the right .

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Breathalysers still on sale in our local Halrauds yesterday, in a display box containing a warning that they are compulsory in France.

Pointed out to the salesperson this wasn't true, got a shrug and a "It's nothing to do with me"

Hymie.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I saw them for sale on the ferry. ..for both the Uk and abroad.
We havent took ours off. At ÂŁ6.99 its a rip off for the cost it must take to make them.

Buy them in packs of ten pairs from eBay - works out a lot less per set.

Deleted User
We forgot to take ours off after the summer and the van passed its MOT with them on.

I think I will just leave them on now.

We hardly ever drive in the dark anyway in the van.

We had a set on our last van for 11 years of the 8 mot's in that time it only ever received 2 "advisories" for headlight deflectors.

We went to the same garage every year with the same tester :LOL:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Hubby said what Gus said, it's just the UK that project to the left, others are flat beams. UK is so backward on absolutely everything ! :( On the subject of breath testy things tho, I thought they were compulsory ? We've carried ours years and not used them. They say that the police refuse to enforce the law there too, we've seen the patrols nipping into a lunch area with a glass of wine lol !!!

OP
OP
S
Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
I have difficult in fitting them on the Boxer
headlights. Mayebe they are right or wrong I dont know. Never go out at night as its too dark.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hubby said what Gus said, it's just the UK that project to the left, others are flat beams. UK is so backward on absolutely everything ! :(
Or possibly forward.

I rather like the fact that our dipped beams project further along the kerb without dazzling oncoming drivers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back