Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I will watch this with interest because it kills my knees getting in and out of the cab.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was thinking of fitting a step for the cab door, not a retractable one, but like the type fitted to 4x4s .. or as seen on trucks for climbing into the cab..

has anyone fitted one ?
Thought about this quite a bit , but not a sticking out one , more of a u shaped piece of tube under the step that's there, same as you see on lorrys and tractors, havnt gone into it but they are high when your legs have gone:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
The simplest and probably the strongest I have seen was on a crane it was made up of 1 inch chain link with a steel tread and just hung down loosely probably welded to a steel plate for fitting to cab .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
essanjay of poole used to sell and fit cab steps

i have experience of a home made version, made from folded aluminium chequer plate bolted through the cab floor. worked very well and unobtrusive

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Never use the cab door. Open the hab door, press the button to lower the electric step, step in, hang my coat on the coat hooks by the door, get into driving seat.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I will watch this with interest because it kills my knees getting in and out of the cab.

still haven't found anything that would just 'bolt on' Chris, and looking under the Hymer door sill, it won't be a straightforward job..

I was hoping someone else could point the way to a product and method..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Given some pics and dimensions for those that don't have a Hymer.
pics from both sides of the area would help
Is the sill of sufficient size height and depth between skins to cut and fit a lorry cab toe hole aluminium brackets

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Go Jim and at bottom left of pic download (PDF Steps) for pics and sizes of some options, great company to deal with

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
What a good idea Jim(y) Maureen has started to have a tad difficulty getting into the cab, I'll watch this thread with a good deal of interest(y)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
There is a company that make electric fully retractable step for cab door,I priced one up just over £600 +vat.will watch thread with intrest.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There is a company that make electric fully retractable step for cab door,I priced one up just over £600 +vat.will watch thread with intrest.

yes indeed.. Thule make them.. eye watering price ..

thule%20step_man_slide-out_sized_640x420.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the ones that essanjay of Poole supply and fit are £400

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
thanks.. ideal for a PVC with double cab doors.. but not an A class with just one cab door

step needs to be folding and or flush when not in use.. as shown in @Geo link

Any good????

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Following on from @Minxy Girl 's post, these manual thule steps look like an option. With the brackets, fitting might be straightforward ?

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks I will keep a eye on this one

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The majority of these proprietary steps seem to be manufactured with a PVC in mind and come with the fitting kit they think you need, wer'e asked to fit quite a few
and to say some engineering work is required is an understatement.

Throw an A class into the pot and some serious work can be required as sometimes everything Fiat, Ford, Merc is removed in construction, meaning fabricating right back to the chassis
to get the required support, steps and side bars as suggested in one of Minx's post look very pretty but they are not steps to be used as steps, despite their description and often rip out of the inner sill "Skin" along with the captive nuts they fasten to when they are.

Sensing the difficulty Jim seems to be having finding a suitable step
I think it is the usual A Class phenomenon that's causing a problem because fitting an extra step was not catered for or ever thought to be desireable.
I too am looking forward to a solution. your never too old to learn and my next enquiry might be met with "I can do that"
Geo

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
summed up exactly.. @Geo

having examined underneath there is no easy way to fit a step..

as there is nothing solid to bolt onto .. the Thule slide out step is a non starter

the main chassis rail is too far away.. see photos

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have the same problem with Mrs Deluxe having knee issues and a fairly large step up to the cab. It was resolved very cheaply indeed by buying a folding step in Aldi, drilling a couple of holes in it and fixing a piece of string. Open the step and lower it down, use it and then simply lift up by the string, flicking it to collapse. It lives behind the passenger seat. Anyone at Peterborough next week I can show exactly what I mean. It works exactly as needed.

....and it is very cheap

I'll photograph it later and post up the picture

image.jpeg

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
With ref. to cab steps.

After my wife had both knees replaced (on the same day), she found it impossible to make the high step into the cab in the months following the op.

Our temporary solution was a £5 folding plastic step from Dunelm. A piece of string passed through the handle allowed her to get into the cab and then pull in the step, which she stored in the door pocket until needed again. Not elegant, but practical if only a temporary solution is required.

Sorry @DuxDeluxe . We must have replied together. Didn't see your response. Shows it's a good idea though!:)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As I've never owned an A-class I've never peered underneath so have no knowledge at all of what's under them so was just trying to be helpful, again I've never fitted a step to a cab so never researched it in depth to see if there are any issues ... I was just trying to be helpful.:rolleyes:

As for the plastic step, I remembered others who have used this method but thought it might be a bit too 'low tech' (or lower class) for 'A-class owners! :D

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've concluded that while nothing is impossible, fitting a cab step on an A class is not going to be an easy job, I rather doubt there is anything 'off the shelf' to simply 'bolt on' making it a doable DIY on the driveway job.. it would need a lot of work.. workshop facilities, and a lot of gumption.. I have the latter but not the former..

so thanks all .. looks like a trip for a plastic step... I might look for a posh one for a classy A class motorhome :LOL:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its looking more like your having to modify one of your old Singer sewing machine box's:LOL:
But you are quite right Jim,
Step, Steel, Labour would see off £500-£600,easy.
Very labour intensive even for us, in fact we wouldn't Quote such a job Estimate at best, so open Cq Book :eek:
In your position I would make a simple bolt together oblong frame made up from 3mm angle that would easily except say a Thule type step. manual or electric
Then support that on say a bottle jack in mid air aprox in the desired place(y)
And let your imagination run wild, you will be amazed at what support you can pick up from it doesent matter what it looks like from underneath does it? and mounting points will be closer than you'd imagined

Very often much easier when you can see it in place,.
If it's successful buy your step and bolt it on.(y)
If not you have lost a bit of steel and a little time:oops:
It's much better than trying to plan out from start to finish on some jobs, a lot of my most successful challenges have been solved and achieved this way.
Meanwhile use yer plastic step and send us a pic when youv'e won
G

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As I've never owned an A-class I've never peered underneath so have no knowledge at all of what's under them so was just trying to be helpful, again I've never fitted a step to a cab so never researched it in depth to see if there are any issues ... I was just trying to be helpful.:rolleyes:

As for the plastic step, I remembered others who have used this method but thought it might be a bit too 'low tech' (or lower class) for 'A-class owners! :D
@maison - more than one person thinking of this.

We might have an A class but never too proud to use low tech solutions....
image.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back