Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato ci 644 m/home
Exp
6 months
Hi folks, this is all new to me this motorhome business, around 4 weeks to be exact and I'm loving it apart from a possible clutch problem. I wondering if anyone could advise me on the best approach.
We had our first outing in our 2004 fiat ducato ci 644 over easter and all went well as far as the motorhome "things" all worked. Only problem was when driving in 3rd,4th or 5th gear and you put the accelerator down, the revs go up as if you've got your foot on the clutch but if you ease off the gas a bit it picks up. The motorhome sets off no problem and soon gets up to speed, just seems to happen when you accelerate when in top gears. Could this be a slipping clutch issue or something else as its fine when setting off? Is there any way to "test" for a slipping clutch.
Thanks in advance, Chris

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Put handbrake on fully ,put into gear and slowly let clutch in ,if its slipping it will not stall ...Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you bought from a dealer take it back for them to fix as the fault would be classed as pre-existing. If bought privately then no come back I fear.

OP
OP
Chris marshall

Chris marshall

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
6 months
Thanks for your replies folks, I'll try the handbrake test at weekend. Unfortunately it was a private sale but the condition/history and extras that have been added it was to good to miss. I do have cover with the RAC for parts and labour but that only covers the flywheel, I'm guessing it will be new plates that's needed. Are there such things as heavy duty clutchs for the heavier vehicles?

Regards,Chris

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
3Rd gear try and set off with handbrake on. Give some rev if stalls clutch ok.
Also ask perv owner if it's been stood a while.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Wouldn't bother with the handbrake test. Clutch need replacing. You cannot get a heavy duty one, but buy a quality one. Get a clutch slave cylinder too as that fits inside the clutch housing. Had mine done in December.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The previous owner must have known about it as it's not something that can just suddenly develop to that extent - it would be interesting to contact the garage he used first though and see if they'd had it in to them for it ... it would then give you some leverage with the previous owner for selling it with a known fault like that which is deception.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
£10 says Mr Clutch will say you need a flywheel too or they cant warrant the work:sick: But its all in bits by then :eek: +£250 at a guess
Not so cheap now
I would use a Garage, your location narrows it down a bit:rolleyes:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The previous owner must have known about it as it's not something that can just suddenly develop to that extent - it would be interesting to contact the garage he used first though and see if they'd had it in to them for it ... it would then give you some leverage with the previous owner for selling it with a known fault like that which is deception.
Hey you, youv'e got yer girlie head on to day:LOL: Its all them cooking pots
1.The previous owner may not have been aware of any problem
2. It is well documented that one minuet it was fine and the next it slipped so it can "Just" develop
3.The service Garage as would we refuse to discuss what the previous owner had done with us (Car Doctor Client Confidentiality) I would say Data protection But GJH might be on my case
4.May be recourse from a Dealer but wouldn't hold my breath (It was fine when sold, see above and he has no control of how its driven etc etc)
5. Private sale Caveat Emptor im afraid
6. Deception ? Prove it:whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey you, youv'e got yer girlie head on to day:LOL: Its all them cooking pots
1.The previous owner may not have been aware of any problem
2. It is well documented that one minuet it was fine and the next it slipped so it can "Just" develop
3.The service Garage as would we refuse to discuss what the previous owner had done with us (Car Doctor Client Confidentiality) I would say Data protection But GJH might be on my case
4.May be recourse from a Dealer but wouldn't hold my breath (It was fine when sold, see above and he has no control of how its driven etc etc)
5. Private sale Caveat Emptor im afraid
6. Deception ? Prove it:whistle:
Ooooo ... have you taken too many 'wake-up' pills Geo .... better go and have lie down until they wear off as you are a bit 'hyper'! :D

1. & 2. I don't believe that I'm afraid - seriously doubt it in this case especially at the price etc that was paid ('gift horse' and all that).
3. Unless you work for that particular garage you can't be certain ... they would be talking about the vehicle anyway NOT the owner so not sure if DPA would apply and, even if it did, do you really believe that most places would NOT answer the question ... it probably wouldn't cross their minds that they shouldn't!
4. & 5. Not a dealer but a private sale - if it was a known fault and they sold it without telling the buyer it would be purposefully deceptive - it's not as if it's a small thing like a bulb not working.
6. By doing the above it may be possible to 'prove' it so that at least a discussion with the previous owner would have some 'proof' behind it - hence why I said to speak to the garage first.
:p

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Then I must bow to your superior knowledge:notworthy2::hi5:
You've had too many Weetabix haven't you ... :D

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Mr clutch quoted £440 for the job, I was expecting more than that I must admit :)
That's a good price. I would ask what make of clutch that are fitting. I would willingly pay a bit extra for better quality. Sachs, valeo, and maybe LUK. Dont forget the slave cylinder too.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Agree with @Geo no real claim on previous owner clutch can go anytime.
Take to a local garage that deals with trucks buses etc and get it done properly. My last one cost less than £500.00
Don't waste energy trying to fight the seller just fix and enjoy at least you'll know the notorious Fiat clutch will be ok for the future.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Personally I would listen to Geo`s advice, give Mr Clutch a wide berth and source out a local garage, also fitting a new slave cylinder is highly recommended.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Chris marshall

Chris marshall

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
6 months
I am covered with the RAC parts and labour and that covers the flywheel, I would have to enquire if I was told by the garage once the job was started I need a new one, if the RAC cover would stand(n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Agree with @Geo no real claim on previous owner clutch can go anytime.
Take to a local garage that deals with trucks buses etc and get it done properly. My last one cost less than £500.00
Don't waste energy trying to fight the seller just fix and enjoy at least you'll know the notorious Fiat clutch will be ok for the future.
Nothing wrong with making a quick phone call to the garage ... and then the previous owner if it is established that the clutch problem was already there. Might be able to get some of the fixing cost back ... worth 5 minutes wouldn't you say? :)

If I had been the seller and knew about it, I wouldn't have sold the MH without either repairing it or making the new owner aware, but unfortunately some people don't do that. :(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Before doing anything try lifting the clutch pedal with your toe mid-slip. My 244 does it occasionally & appears to be the pedal not returning fully. Any 'normal' test & it doesn't slip suggesting that it's OK & the pedal needs a looking at. Which I haven't done as yet because it's an A class with no drivers door & I need to pluck up the courage to do a headstand in the footwell :).

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I would suggest that renewing the clutch is a small price to pay if you got a good deal and it will be comforting to know when you are those wide open spaces in France ect that at least your clutch is not going to let you down .Enjoy your new van lol.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You've had too many Weetabix haven't you ... :D
Now Breakfast is outa the way what were you saying about Weetabix
I thought that was animal feed
77342.jpg

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
dont right off mr clutch to quickly unless you can get one elseware. they have done so many and at £380 and that was a lux cluth kit and gearbox oil change. 18 months ago so may be a bit more now.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As its a 2004 its a X244 model so the slave cylinder is external to the bellhousing and easily replaced on its own if required, I wouldn't fit a new one as a matter of course. Gearbox oil replacement is a standard part of a clutch replacement as the box has to be removed which involves extracting the drive shafts from it.

D.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dave is of course right
Purely an opinion of course BUT
Still recon they will try and sell him a flywheel, and when he refuses,
they will then suggest a flywheel skim as a cheaper option, knowing full well
that will shorten the life out of any future clutches fitted
I don't know many that have escaped paying only the original quote.
If too many did, they would go bust given their quotes and overheads
perhaps I see too many ex Mr Clutch customers to be wrong

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back