LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sick and tired of trying to keep the carpet even slightly respectable ( what with the dog and my clod hoppers in and out constantly ) we have decided to bite the bullet and get a new floor covering the same as we had in the Miller.. Cushion Vinyl covering

Next week they are coming and will be cutting out all the old carpet ( It being an Autotrail and the morons putting carpet on the floor and then building the cabinets and everything ON it ! ) and fitting the new covering
Of course it being the Chieftain I had a feeling it was not gonna be cheap, but at £200 all in it is not TOO shocking.. Especially to be able to keep it all nice and clean all the time !

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Went to our local carpet man and he came and fitted one for us in our last van for £70 all in. ( and he cut his fingers with the stanley knife)
For this van (also our "last" van) I just bought a runner to fit and we can then roll it up and take it outside to clean it...
Mitch.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The size of the bit we need is 4 metres by two metres..

The charge to cut out the carpet, fit and seal all round the edges is £75.. The rest is for the vinyl its self ..

It was the stay on La Toretta that finally made up our minds.
The site is all on white stones.. which are quite soft and generate a LOT of dust..
We have a fitted carpet that press studs over the original carpet at the moment..
It took me 90 minutes of jet washing and Maureen nearly two hours to get all the crap out of it..
And of course we cannot get the 'fitted' carpet out and that will be just as full of crap !
Hence us wanting to get shot of any permanent carpeting once and for all !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Of course it being the Chieftain I had a feeling it was not gonna be cheap
Your right, it isn't. :( I didnt have carpets in my Chieftain, they would have stopped the turret turning.......:)

c2.jpg

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Ooh, we're thinking of doing the same. Can I ask who you are using?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cosy Carpets in Thetford.
We have used them quite a lot for all sorts of stuff..
And the fitter they use is self employed.. Every time we have used him the level of work has been very high.. AND he has done several vans in the same way so is no stranger to the work.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi John (JAWS). Our original carpets are under the bed at home staying clean.

TOOTLES, I like your Chieftain, but you must be very young. :LOL:
I used to road test the Centurion tanks after fixing/servicing them back in the 60's and if you could go up and down the 6 speed "crash" G/Box on one of those 56 Ton beauties you could call yourself a driver !!!
Because I was the smallest, I used to get the job of doing the magneto's which were crankshaft driven and were right at the VERY bottom of those V 12 monster engines.
Not a very pleasant job, but worth it to get the road test !!!
22 M.P.H. flat out. Yeeeeeeeha !!!
Great memories.
Mitch. (y).

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've just had our carpet replaced with cushioned vinyl. It's great. Have a look at our to read about it - there's a link in there to the fitter we used.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
You've got me thinking now, as we have an AT with similar fixed carpet issue, the replacement floor there looks really good!

Out of curiosity, will do / did you have all the carpet removed from under units/bench seats etc, or only in the walkway areas?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
can't be doing with carpet in a van ..

just dirt traps, no matter how careful you are they get dirty and smelly..

present van came with the loose-lay carpets rolled up in the garage .. had never been used.. and never will be, now stored in the attic

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
can't be doing with carpet in a van ..

just dirt traps, no matter how careful you are they get dirty and smelly..

present van came with the loose-lay carpets rolled up in the garage .. had never been used.. and never will be, now stored in the attic
Ours are rolled up in the wardrobe aswell ,never been used. However we use those sample carpet squares by the door that shops sell 3 for a £1. When they get grubby just bin them and use another! Really useful at a muddy field site!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we use those sample carpet squares by the door that shops sell 3 for a £1. When they get grubby just bin them and use another! Really useful at a muddy field site!

likewise....(y)

some carpet shops give them free, if you ask nicely ..

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
You've got me thinking now, as we have an AT with similar fixed carpet issue, the replacement floor there looks really good!

Out of curiosity, will do / did you have all the carpet removed from under units/bench seats etc, or only in the walkway areas?

He removed the carpets where visible then used clear sealant along the edges of the vinyl so that crumbs and spills don't go into the cupboards. It's very effective.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Pleased to say we have removable carpets which got removed the first day. :LOL:
Two 4x2 ft runners from Dunelm in her now, really easy to keep clean. (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi John (JAWS). Our original carpets are under the bed at home staying clean.

TOOTLES, I like your Chieftain, but you must be very young. :LOL:
I used to road test the Centurion tanks after fixing/servicing them back in the 60's and if you could go up and down the 6 speed "crash" G/Box on one of those 56 Ton beauties you could call yourself a driver !!!
Because I was the smallest, I used to get the job of doing the magneto's which were crankshaft driven and were right at the VERY bottom of those V 12 monster engines.
Not a very pleasant job, but worth it to get the road test !!!
22 M.P.H. flat out. Yeeeeeeeha !!!
Great memories.
Mitch. (y).
I drove Cents before we converted to Chieftain Mitch. (I say 'Mitch', because it's a well known fact that a woman cant reverse a tank......Without visiting five semi detached house fronts whilst so occupied). (y) Think back, the Cent had only 5 forward gears......And if you got a false neutral between 4th and 5th on a hill.........:Eeek: You must have been a Leccy Mech in a REME LAD????????

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Our new van had light beige carpet fitted throughout ,including the cab area .on our return home from the dealer they were immediately removed. I can't understand how they manufacturers can be so stupid to fit carpet like this ,it's probably because they have never used one themselves .

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

The fitter is going to cut round the edges, lay the vinyl and then silicone seal the edges so it will always be nice and neat and no way for the dirt to get under anything

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Cosy Carpets in Thetford.
We have used them quite a lot for all sorts of stuff..
And the fitter they use is self employed.. Every time we have used him the level of work has been very high.. AND he has done several vans in the same way so is no stranger to the work.

Thanks, I'll look them up (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our new van had light beige carpet fitted throughout ,including the cab area .on our return home from the dealer they were immediately removed. I can't understand how they manufacturers can be so stupid to fit carpet like this ,it's probably because they have never used one themselves .
Unfortunately that is not an option on an awful lot of Autotrails ( and no doubt other makes too )
To compound the stupidity of fitting cream carpets, they make sure it is incredibly difficult and expensive to remedy their very basic error

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
A wise discision jaws and if you get cold tootsies just lay some loose mats down cosy and more practical in today's climate, most of all Enjoy,(y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi TOOTLES.
You are right mate, 5 forward and one reverse. I also remember that you could do a neutral turn and that Mr Wilson, the man who developed the G/Box, went mad because he could not work out how it got drive to do that. We spent a long time looking at the drawings and also gave up !!
And I was a Veh Tech you cheeky B@£$%^&d !!!!
Mitch. ;).

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
double post

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well the chap is JUST finishing up.. Had to go and turn on the lights in the van for the poor sod !
The stuff we chose was a bit expensive but having just walked on it, I can tell you guys it is probably at least as thick and as comfy as the original carpeting !
I will post of a picture tomorrow

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Your right, it isn't. :( I didnt have carpets in my Chieftain, they would have stopped the turret turning.......:)

View attachment 100007

Hey! the Guy who`s doing my MOT, has one like that in his "shed".!!. Plus a Ferrett, a Willeys Jeep (Genuine not Ford). A huge Yank Wrecker, (my Favourite, runs on virtually anything!) and a Commer 3tonner! Oh and the shell of a "Firestreak".

Pete

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Removed the carpet from our Rapido as soon as we got it, but under it is a covering like plastic wallpaper, really poor. We got a chap to take that out (it was wrinkly in places) and put in cushioned vinyl and its so easy to keep clean. We also use one of those dirt attracting mats, which the dogs (the major source of dust and hairs) like lying on.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Unfortunately that is not an option on an awful lot of Autotrails ( and no doubt other makes too )
To compound the stupidity of fitting cream carpets, they make sure it is incredibly difficult and expensive to remedy their very basic error

Just remember the only difference between a cream carpet and a dark coloured carpet is that YOU can see the muck on the cream one..The dark one is just as dirty,,the dark colour just hides it. Really carpets are dirty and unhygenic. Must change mine to vinyl.....BUSBY...

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All very true Busby, but as I rarely lick, kiss, or eat off my carpets I aint that fussed how dirty they are, just as long as I canna SEE the dirt LOL !!

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
When you replace with vinyl does this include the cab area too? We are thinking vinyl will be better for us having just come back from 2 weeks in Scotland with a fair bit of rain,mud, dog hairs and then sand to contend with!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back