snow foam (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Hi all, Can any of you guys recommend a snow foam lance and solution.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well despite inbuilt natural resistance to such sales techniques (Im so far up my owm a**e i know better) I joined the many on here and bought what Charlie recommended

In both foam and applicator tool, and am 100% happy that it does indeed make super looking foam and is great fun to apply
BUT
What is it supposed to do??
My Missus has a white A3 and it gets filthy, my thoughts were rather than drag all that crap around the paintwork with the sponge i would "Foam " it off
Well Im just the right side of 65 and confess to having washed a good few cars in my life in the Motor trade,
BUT
again what is this snow foam supposed to do?
After a good foam and 2 min soaking, When jetted of it looks almost the same, Filthy, so get a bit closer
with the pressure washer (now close enough to remove decals and some wheel silver:eek:)
BUT
The S**ts still there
Ah well out with the bucket and sponge, Much better(y)

Until now I have not seen or had the opportunity to ask what it is im doing wrong, clearly, hopefully im doing something wrong
Maybe just expecting too much, I was expecting after rinsing off the foam to find a clean caro_O
And for the record I made no complaints to or challenged Charlies skills or knowledge, so am not the, or one of the Saddo's in question (This Time):D perhaps when he is back from his vacation he will enlighten me (y)
Geo

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Well despite inbuilt natural resistance to such sales techniques (Im so far up my owm a**e i know better) I joined the many on here and bought what Charlie recommended

In both foam and applicator tool, and am 100% happy that it does indeed make super looking foam and is great fun to apply
BUT
What is it supposed to do??
My Missus has a white A3 and it gets filthy, my thoughts were rather than drag all that crap around the paintwork with the sponge i would "Foam " it off
Well Im just the right side of 65 and confess to having washed a good few cars in my life in the Motor trade,
BUT
again what is this snow foam supposed to do?
After a good foam and 2 min soaking, When jetted of it looks almost the same, Filthy, so get a bit closer
with the pressure washer (now close enough to remove decals and some wheel silver:eek:)
BUT
The S**ts still there
Ah well out with the bucket and sponge, Much better(y)

Until now I have not seen or had the opportunity to ask what it is im doing wrong, clearly, hopefully im doing something wrong
Maybe just expecting too much, I was expecting after rinsing off the foam to find a clean caro_O
And for the record I made no complaints to or challenged Charlies skills or knowledge, so am not the, or one of the Saddo's in question (This Time):D perhaps when he is back from his vacation he will enlighten me (y)
Geo
I had exactly the same results as you did with foam - however I'm now using it as a pre-wash. I have found that it helps to soften dirt, but as an alternative to washing I'm not convinced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had exactly the same results as you did with foam - however I'm now using it as a pre-wash. I have found that it helps to soften dirt, but as an alternative to washing I'm not convinced.
I know a few car detailers (Don't forget that this was also Charlie's business) and they swear by the use of snow foam. I think the degree of success has a lot to do with the mixture itself. As above, it does do a very good job of softening any dirt and makes it really easy to remove but I'm still experimenting.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I know a few car detailers (Don't forget that this was also Charlie's business) and they swear by the use of snow foam. I think the degree of success has a lot to do with the mixture itself. As above, it does do a very good job of softening any dirt and makes it really easy to remove but I'm still experimenting.
I think it may also be more effective if used with a pressure washer for rinsing, but I don't use a pressure washer on the van

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm still experimenting too. I eventually found the right lance for my Clarkes's PW and was pleasantly surprised when it worked the first time with foam. Since them it doesn't always foam properly but runs off in a thin wash but there is only so many times you can re-adjust the mix on the day.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that has found that foam Isn't the magic formula that I thought it might be.
I followed Charlie's recommendations and after years of using sponges and leathers changed to wash mits and microfibre towels and have to say they work a treat.
The foam looks effective but is doesn't remove the muck.
I'm probably doing something wrong so would appreciate any advice from @Charlie or anyone who uses foam with good results.

Richard.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think it may also be more effective if used with a pressure washer for rinsing, but I don't use a pressure washer on the van
I use a pressure washer on the van but with the pressure turned right down so that it gives a gentle spray.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Pressure washers are not the issue
I can and have used a pressure washer on all my vehicles with no problems at all both for applying TFR on the commercials and rinsing them all
The point of my post was to point out that it appears the Foam does Nothing at all despite experimenting with mixes and pressures
So what are we who are failing doing wrong ?
If the foam merely softens the muck, I can achieve that with water and without spending money on foam and the equipment so whats the secret
has someone forgot to mention you need to scrub with a brush after foaming and then rinse:rolleyes:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The snow foam does dissolve some of the muck. I've sprayed it on alloy front wheels, which are always mucky, and after a few minutes you can see the black coloured water draining off the wheel. Follow up with a pressure hoze and the result is a clean wheel.

Where I haven't found it totally effective is on the paintwork where it is very easy to leave a layer of what I would call traffic film. The only solutions I've found are a good close blasting with a pressure hoze with all those risks or a quick once over with a sponge. :)

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Hose is a hose is a hose! Theatre may be theater ( I could go on:X3:). So the limies say it the same.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Copied from www.polishedbliss.co.uk -

Pre-wash foaming has firmly established itself as an important first step in many detailers' wash routines, primarily because it helps to ensure that a lot of dirt and grime is removed before a wash mitt is placed on the car. The idea behind applying foam to your car before hand washing it is simple and the benefit is obvious. If you apply a blanket of detergent-rich foam to dirty surfaces and leave it to dwell for a while, it will progressively dissolve and suspend a lot of the dirt and grime. When you then rinse it off, much of the dirt and grime is simply washed away with it, leaving relatively clean surfaces behind. Clearly, the benefit is that the bulk of dirt removal is done before you actually touch your bodywork, which greatly reduces the risk of inflicting marring and fine scratches during the subsequent hand-washing step.

Hope this helps clear up some of the misunderstandings/misgivings.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We decided to try it and bought a Karcher K4 and a foam nozzle and container. Tried it out this weekend and used a combination of method, Hose, Foam, Wait, Brush, Hose off, took about the same amount of time in all but alot less work and results good. The Foam nozzle and the Ultra Foam formula worked brilliantly, the pressure washer also allows you to easily adjust the actual pressure.

Have to have a think about the wax side of things at some point point but the foam nozzle kit worked very well. We did 3 cars and the van, in just over 2 hours and are pleased with the results both in finish and effort required :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have to have a think about the wax side of things at some point point but the foam nozzle kit worked very well. We did 3 cars and the van, in just over 2 hours and are pleased with the results both in finish and effort required :)
Collinite 476S is excellent, very quick and easy to use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back