Karcher window vacuums for windscreen? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We had a tip from a non moho-er to use the Karcher window vacuum tool for clearing the windscreen of condensation in the mornings. (It sucks up the water)
Does anyone use this and can recommend it?
It's not cheap at around £60 on eBay so hesitating to buy it without reviews from here.
Even if we wipe it with a towel it's still annoying to the vision for hours when driving as it doesn't dry well.
(And yes we do ventilate the van at night!)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I didn't realise they'd been around for years
Thought they were a new product.
Are they more a window cleaner than water remover?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lots of people use them highly recommended.

I have a Lidl copy which work fine but I very rarely need to use it.

Martin

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Used it in the van for years. Make sure you get the latest model as its had a modification to prevent water blowing back when used at an angle :)

Got mine for £29 on fleabay. I've also seen lots of bargains with it, Tesco are doing one at the moment for around the £38 mark and Robert Direarse have them on offer too :)

It's been invaluable and everyone should be using one if they've got even the slightest hint of condensation :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I dont know what they were originally designed for bur certainly get used for both.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We use one for removing condensation off the windscreen on our A class - job done in less than 30 seconds !

Best of all we use a steam mop to clean the inside of the windscreen too. and remove any dirty residue with the window vac - no smears!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We use the silver screen throughout the year, so don't have condensation. Even when we had the other MH with 3 kids and 2 dogs as well as us two , we never got any.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Have used one at home for window cleaning for last 2 years and it works well to remove water after washing. Recently used on Motorhome to clear condensation in mornings ( we use silver screen by preference unless on an aire and wanting easy getaway if needed) and worked well. Need to watch if clearing bottom of screen as you need to use the Karcher sideways to reach and water can run out of the head back on your dash.
Cheers
Bernie

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I didn't realise they'd been around for years
Thought they were a new product.
Are they more a window cleaner than water remover?

We use ours just for removing water

We have a spray/fabric bar thingy with ours that we use to clean the Windows first and then use the window vac to suck it off. If there is condensation then a quick suck and the job is done.....

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Been using ours for a couple of years now, it is definitely recommended. They are also extremely handy to clean up the bathroom after you've have a shower, you don't get streaks on the plastic :D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We use one for removing condensation off the windscreen on our A class - job done in less than 30 seconds !

Best of all we use a steam mop to clean the inside of the windscreen too. and remove any dirty residue with the window vac - no smears!

I haven't got room for all these gadgets,,,afraid kitchen roll is our lot...BUSBY:):)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I haven't got room for all these gadgets,,,afraid kitchen roll is our lot...BUSBY:):)
The steam mop is at home and used between trips
The window vac is small and lives in the bottom of my wardrobe

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
We bought a copy at Newark show for £20 works perfect in home and van

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The Range do a version which is cheaper.
Interesting to hear there is a kartcher version that doesn't spray water out when tipped on its side, that would be worth paying the extra for. There was a thread on here discussing kartcher dypers for this :eek:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I've been meaning to ask this for a while.
We use a silerscreen and dont get condensation but I realise these aren't for everyone. But if your windscreen gets condensation overnight surely it must run down it before you vacuum it and (eventually) cause staining and or dampness on the dash? Or not?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Since getting this A class I found I needed almost a full roll of paper towel to clean the screen plus it's bloody big and far away :) so I bought a looky like thing off ebay £20 works well (y) on the few occasions I have had to use it plus it makes reaching the screen a bit easier ;)
terry

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Interesting to hear there is a kartcher version that doesn't spray water out when tipped on its side, that would be worth paying the extra for.
The Mark 2 version is much better for this than the Mark 1.

I'm saying that having only had one experimental go in the shower with the Mark 2, as it only arrived the other day. Took it away in the van at the weekend to try upside down on the windscreen, but we didn't get any condensation. Then left it in the van so haven't had a second go in the home shower yet.

I'll retrieve it later & have another go - my initial impression is that it is much better when sideways, but still not designed to work fully inverted.

Other advantages of the Mk 2 is that it is slightly smaller, lighter & quieter.

You can easily tell them apart - the Mk 2 doesn't have the visible slots for the air to escape in the side of the body. It still works on the same principle - the air just comes out round the side of the water container instead. The air flow through the unit & the method of separating air & water is the same, but slightly revised to improve its effectiveness.

The new one also made me realise that it is worth changing the rubber blades. I hadn't noticed how much our old one had gradualy deteriorated until I used the new one.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Right, just done some experiments over the basin. :)

As I suggested above, it is an improvement on the Mk1 version, but care is still needed & it can still leak water. It doesn't spray it out with the same force & it mostly seems to happen as you return the unit to the vertical position, so if you choose your moment, it's less likely to go all over the dash.

The technique seems to be:
Do a small part of the screen with the unit upside down. Return it to the vertical by letting the bottom fall towards you, allowing any water in the head section to follow its normal path into the reservoir. Return to the upside down position by reversing that motion - don't tip it sideways. Empty the reservoir frequently - don't let it get as full as you would when using it the right way up. I only got a little bit wet! :D:D

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We use the internal screens and don't get much condensation but if there is any I just get Les to sit in the front and natter to herself whilst I disconnect ( supply end first!!) and wind up my power cable. Doesn't take long and the screen is bone dry by the time I have finished.....!:winky:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Jac Sprat Tell me which page(s) or bit you want to have translated. Be aware that Google is not as good as me! LOL!

they are trying to buy a Karcher window cleaner while in France, trying to find who sells them

or do you have another brand? :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back