French Terrestrial TV only avaliable in HD (1 Viewer)

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I know where I would shove the Frog lessons right up their A--E

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
At the bottom of that link:

This story, if you haven't guessed by now is not actually true and is part of The Local France's longstanding tradition of April Fools' jokes.

Hope you enjoyed it. You can put your French text books back in the cupboard now.

Ian

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We were getting messages for several days the last time we were watching TV in France telling us that only HD transmissions were going to be made after April. It wasn't clear if that was all channels or just some. We have an HD TV in the lounge and that has many more programs with English language available than the non-HD we have in the bedroom. If you don't have an HD TV - you can just buy a cheap HD freeview box to use with your existing TV.

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Sounds like it but this scare story on the same page caught my eye. I can't see English being dropped from the EU as a language, it is the common language between too many countries.
http://www.thelocal.fr/20160401/french-language-tests-planned-for-expats-over-brexit-fears

Can we talk about my telly again please. I dunno how I am going to cope without my telly and I am not buying an expensive satellite to watch ....I blame the brexiters, stay in the EU and make us all have the same telly I say, then I wouldn't have to buy a new one....and don't get me started about the phones!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Can we talk about my telly again please. I dunno how I am going to cope without my telly and I am not buying an expensive satellite to watch ....I blame the brexiters, stay in the EU and make us all have the same telly I say, then I wouldn't have to buy a new one....and don't get me started about the phones!

You could purchase a small portable satellite system which should work over North to Mid Europe. Cost about £60. That will pick up UK TV or buy a small HD TV to pick up terrestrial HD signals..

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We can receive all Sky TV transmissions, HD included, in Burgundy using a standard Sky domestic fish.

OK, if we get a thunderstorm we may lose the signal but, otherwise, all is good.(y):)

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
We can receive all Sky TV transmissions, HD included, in Burgundy using a standard Sky domestic fish.

OK, if we get a thunderstorm we may lose the signal but, otherwise, all is good.(y):)
OK I will try and plug into a fish on the top of the van......does it still need to be HD?:);)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I was only codding.

But if you manage to set up successfully you will wear a breaming smile and have a whale of a time.

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
so do I need to hook up a TV with a DVB-T2 Freeview HD Tuner?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I don't think Freeview, as such, will work like our set up, as Freeview is terrestrial, I believe.

Free sat should work fine though. As the name suggests, it utilises satellite signals.

You may be able to by a second hand Sky digi box from EBay. That's how we started. Box cost £17.50 in auction. If you do buy a box you will also need a Sky card, also available on eBay. Without a Sky subscription you will receive Freesat programmes, BBC Channels, ITV, ETC.

Incidentally, if you do have a Sky subscription you are not supposed to use it outside Britain although thousands do.

We now carry our Sky HD+ box with us so we can receive, and record all programmes that we want.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I thought the OP was asking about receiving French terrestrial TV in France. The French freeview boxes work in the same way ours do in the UK. You may even be able to use a UK freeview (or set top box), but perhaps better to buy one in France. Just make sure the output from the freeview box will suit one of the inputs on the TV. Probably HDMI. The HD channels do seem to support the English language more than the non-HD ones. A lot of French broadcasts are American programs and dubbed for French viewers and are often available in their original language. However you can get sick of endless viewings of NCIS!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I thought the OP was asking about receiving French terrestrial TV in France. The French freeview boxes work in the same way ours do in the UK. You may even be able to use a UK freeview (or set top box), but perhaps better to buy one in France. Just make sure the output from the freeview box will suit one of the inputs on the TV. Probably HDMI. The HD channels do seem to support the English language more than the non-HD ones. A lot of French broadcasts are American programs and dubbed for French viewers and are often available in their original language. However you can get sick of endless viewings of NCIS!
You could well be right. I wasn't sure exactly what was being asked and chose to explain how they could ensure that they received English language transmissions.

Can't offer much in the way of advice re French terrestrial channels as, after speaking French all day, (or at least trying to), we welcome relaxing with our first language in the evenings.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Can't offer much in the way of advice re French terrestrial channels as, after speaking French all day, (or at least trying to), we welcome relaxing with our first language in the evenings.
My French can just about cope with listening to a program in French providing I can see the (French) subtitles. But we've got lazy now we have a working UK satellite system and usually watch UK channels when we're over now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back