Mind my own business or.... ? (1 Viewer)

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi,

I wonder how others would deal with this.

At Newark our habitation door opened towards the next van and sitting outside was a nice and friendly guy, on his own, who we soon discovered enjoyed his drink. A lot. Let me start by saying we both enjoy a drink in the evening but neither of us had ever seen anything like this.

On the Saturday we played a guessing game of how long before we heard the next crash of the can into his rubbish bin. After seeing him enjoy about ten cans of Coors and about the same of Stella, we no longer found it fun or even amusing. Finally he wandered over to the entertainment.

On the Sunday morning, when we got up he was already sitting outside drinking again, and by early afternoon we could see from a new rubbish bag that at least another dozen Stella had been finished off and he still had a half carton of Stellas by his chair. As we set off on a walk, he said goodbye and told us he was setting off home in an hour or so.

When we got back he had gone. I'm so pleased I wasn't on the road anywhere near him. BUT.. should I have said something? Done something?

What if anything would you do?

Last edited:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
You did well to even stay there, I know if it were us (Me an Mrs KK) we would have moved or just left, i think as soon as you open your mouth to those sort of folk your leaving yourself open to abuse - an who knows where it may have ended !

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Not much you can do about him drinking too much, its his choice.

In this case you did not see him drive off so you don't know exactly when he went or in which direction so nothing you could have done.

In general though if I saw someone who had too much to drink prepare to drive a vehicle I would have no qualms about reporting him to the police. Its well known that drinking and driving puts peoples lives at risk.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Good God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wasn't a smoker as well was he:eek:

fde4ca97e1d8bb295a6cb954a9b27f31.jpg

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
No I would have just left him . He my drive better with a drink lol .you get alsorts in this life if some ones bothers u . just move or knock there head off .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'd have tried to report it to a marshal and the police. Driving after drinking so much puts other people in danger; it is the driver's choice if he / she ends up killing themselves but I wouldn't want the lives of others on my conscience.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No I would have just left him . He my drive better with a drink lol .you get alsorts in this life if some ones bothers u . just move or knock there head off .
Used to work with an old time lorry driver, he used to be in the pub all day, have about three hours sleep then drive lorrys all over the country on nights, same day after day, and I'm talking drink here, min 10 pints, never had an accident in fifty years.

Deleted User
Drinking on the pitch is no ones business apart from his (providing he wasn't being abusive etc)

Drinking and driving is everyone's business.

I have seen countless number of people injured and worse in drink driving incidents and would have no qualms whatsoever in reporting a drink driver to the old bill. I would have to actually witness it though, not just assume.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How do you know for certain that someone else didn't come along to drive his motorhome home for him?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Bet you he even had his grey waste tap open too

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wonder how many of the people with the deep moral holier than thou consciences have ever broken a speed limit?

The number of deaths caused by excess speed is approximately the same as those caused by drink drivers.

Or am I going to get flamed and told that's completely different because you all do it? :whistle::rolleyes:

Deleted User
Having the potential wont save anyone will it, neither will procrastinating on here

I'm not procastinating anywhere, it's a discussion board!!!

If I saw someone breaking into your garage would you expect me to

A) call the old bill

B) ignore them as most thefts are caused by persons breaking into homes?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm not procastinating anywhere, it's a discussion board!!!

If I saw someone breaking into your garage would you expect me to

A) call the old bill

B) ignore them as most thefts are caused by persons breaking into homes?

That's the point isn't it. The OP didn't see the person driving and actually has no idea whether he did or not.

Sitting in a field drinking crap beer wasn't a crime the last time I checked.

By that logic you should report me to the old bill if I post on here that I'm going to the pub. After all I might drive afterwards. The fact that you haven't got the faintest idea whether I do or not seemingly doesn't matter.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Nobody will ever change the minds of the heavy drinkers on here. if the police stopped every motorhome leaving a fun meet, i wonder how many would actually be sober after the boozy night before.

Deleted User
That's the point isn't it. The OP didn't see the person driving and actually has no idea whether he did or not.

Sitting in a field drinking crap beer wasn't a crime the last time I checked.

By that logic you should report me to the old bill if I post on here that I'm going to the pub. After all I might drive afterwards. The fact that you haven't got the faintest idea whether I do or not seemingly doesn't matter.

I take it that you didn't read my first post on the subject #9

Particularly this bit...........

I would have to actually witness it though, not just assume.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Are people actually condoning drink driving. Hope you still feel the same way after your grandchild has been hit by one of these people.
Did anyone say they were, if so point it out
Does it / will it feel better if my grandchild is hit by a sober driver
silly comments really,emotive and again aimed at easy targets in the hope of most support Pah!

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
How do you know for certain that someone else didn't come along to drive his motorhome home for him?
He made no mention of anyone else at any time. It's possible of course. He did say HE would be setting off.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Many of the thoughts mentioned here have gone through my head. I still feel very uneasy about it and wish now that I had said something to a steward. I sincerely hope I am never faced with such a situation again.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
In the circumstances described, although the OP saw quite a decent amount of beer drunk "at least another dozen Stella had been finished off and he still had a half carton of Stellas by his chair." He doesn't know if there was another person in the motorhome who was doing the driving and as he wasn't present the the person left there is little he could, or should have done.

Had he seen the beer drinker drive himself and was sure he had consumed a good deal of alcohol as he describes, in my opinion he would have been right to report the matter because the persons cognitive ability to drive would in all probably be impaired.

There are may ways deaths on the road happen, some through pure accident, but some are avoidable. I doubt there is anyone on this forum who would approve of drink driving, excesive speeding or doing anything which poses a real threat to the life someone else,their relatives or children, at least I hope so. I also doubt that anyone would put speeding at 5 mph over the limit in the same class as driving when impaired through drink or drugs. There are degrees in everything but the amount the OP described consumed would certainly be too much in my view, IF the person described was the driver.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nobody will ever change the minds of the heavy drinkers on here. if the police stopped every motorhome leaving a fun meet, i wonder how many would actually be sober after the boozy night before.

In my considerable experience most every single one of them. Most leave rallies late Sunday or early Monday, drinking heavily on Sunday night and then driving off early Monday is something I've never witnessed. In fact, I've never seen anyone drive off that I'd be worried about.

As for the OP. Are you sure the driver was alone? Loads of times I've thought someone was travelling alone, only to see a partner sat in the back as they roll off the field.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
In my considerable experience most every single one of them. Most leave rallies late Sunday or early Monday, drinking heavily on Sunday night and then driving off early Monday is something I've never witnessed. In fact, I've never seen anyone drive off that I'd be worried about.

As for the OP. Are you sure the driver was alone? Loads of times I've thought someone was travelling alone, only to see a partner sat in the back as they roll off the field.
He did leave late Sunday and having watched him over a couple of days the OP obviously thought he was on his own and he indicated he was leaving
Best part of 40 cans of decent strength beer necked (possibly more at the entertainment), anyone drinking beer first thing in the morning has obviously got a problem
Imo he was a danger, if reported and he wasn't driving where's the problem

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
He did leave late Sunday and having watched him over a couple of days the OP obviously thought he was on his own and he indicated he was leaving
Best part of 40 cans of decent strength beer necked (possibly more at the entertainment), anyone drinking beer first thing in the morning has obviously got a problem
Imo he was a danger, if reported and he wasn't driving where's the problem

Maybe if 'prior to driving' I 'saw' him drink them, absolutely 'knew' he was responsible for all the empties in the sack 'prior to driving' and then saw him drive away then I'd stop him driving, who wouldn't?

Otherwise, I'd probably mind my own business.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Honestly. ..so quick to condemn! The chap may well have a medical exemption? I certainly do:)

Remember that snooker player, Bill Werbeniuk, who had a doctor's note enabling him to drink unlimited quantities of lager whilst playing ☺

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back