Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have two dogs and travel to France regularly. Now, the pet passport worming pages are full and the dogs need new rabies jabs next month. We are going to France this week.
So, we rang our vets for prices.
Rabies jab at our vet is £32 each. New passport is £58 each
Phew!
Rang a few more vets and their prices vary wildly.
Another vet quoted us over £60 just for the vaccine but £33 for the passport.
So, we rang DEFRA about passport prices. They said they do not have a recommended price for anything, the vet decides how much to charge. They also said you can get the passport from any EU country.
We have a house in France and are registered with the vet there. Just rang them and they quoted €15 each for a new pet passport!
So, we are getting the rabies jab here. It lasts for 3 years ( if you have it done in France, it lasts only one year)
We are getting the new passports in France.
One thing that concerned me was the fact that the rabies jab will be in the old passport, but worming record will be in the new one, so we rang DEFRA again and they said we just keep the passports together.
So, if you need a new passport, it's cheaper to get one abroad.
Our vet in France is in Uzel, Brittany. I can highly recommend them if anyone is travelling through there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our vet charged £46 for the rabies jab and passport combined.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is no difference between the rabies vaccine given in the UK & the French or Spanish stuff it is identical. It is probably that France, like, Spain has a legal requirement that animals are vaccinated against rabies yearly.But the actual vaccine used is the same one with a different code on.& it is 18€ rabies here.
Yes I have to keep my dogs old spanish 'vet ' book with the passport & carry both as all his old ones are in the book.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Our vet charged £46 for the rabies jab and passport combined.
That's a good price.
The vaccines are the same wherever you have it, it's just that mainland Europe has rabies so a yearly jab is required. We were told by our vet in France to have ours done in the UK because it lasts longer.

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
My vet told me he would insert extra pages into my dogs passport as he said it was a rip off to have to get a new one. Don't know if this is ok, but he is a reputable vet.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My vet told me he would insert extra pages into my dogs passport as he said it was a rip off to have to get a new one. Don't know if this is ok, but he is a reputable vet.

It's perfectly OK to do that. It's only the tape worming pages that are likely to run out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When our Romy's worming pages got full they just used the other pages in the passport instead that aren't used for anything - so long as you can show proof in the passport that the actual treatment has been given there shouldn't be a problem, we only had to get a new passport for her when the rest of it got full, I think it cost us £22 then!

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
We were told at the Eurotunnel pet check in that if you put the information about the worming tablets in the wrong section, they may refuse to carry the pet. Bit of a jobsworth attitude I thought, but it was confirmed by DEFRA. You could take the chance, but if they refuse to carry your pet, you could have a lot of bother ( and expense) getting it sorted out.
Our dogs have just had their new rabies jabs and the old passport updated, we will get the new passports in France for £12 each.
(Our vet told us the difference between UK and EU vaccines is just the licensing )

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just starting to think about Passports for our two dogs. So Jane asks our vets and the reply sends me into a flat spin. £45:02 for Rabies and £77:56 for the Passport X 2 :eek: Reading most of the treads on here it seems far to much for the Passport. Rabies not too bad. If you shop around to find it cheaper, do you have to be registered with that vet? For the occational few weeks I will going abroad I may have to ask family to look after them. :(

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @Zigisla , the passport lasts 3 years , just need rabies jab each year, then on top of that you've got to find a vet in France before coming back ( within 5 days of return) more cost !!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Hi @Zigisla , the passport lasts 3 years , just need rabies jab each year, then on top of that you've got to find a vet in France before coming back ( within 5 days of return) more cost !!
I thought it was the jab that lasted 3 years and the passport only ran out when the pages did. Do I have this wrong. If so, even more reason to leave the dogs behind.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought it was the jab that lasted 3 years and the passport only ran out when the pages did. Do I have this wrong. If so, even more reason to leave the dogs behind.
No you are right. Rabies for UK lasts 3 years & passport only runs out when pages do.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our vet insists that the rabies vaccine only lasts two years.

But there again, he suggested that I might like to pay £325 for unnecessary X-rays a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone please point me to evidence that the rabies vaccines can last three years? I would love to shove it up his.........

Nose!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
German vet in Bernkastel recommended photocopying an empty page and adding it to the others when space runs out, not sure if it's worth the risk though ?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
No you are right. Rabies for UK lasts 3 years & passport only runs out when pages do.
Phew. Not so bad now. Passport I found out is for the item, registration and vet check. Had a phone around and although mine is with pet health plan discount, it is still reasonable. All around £120 ish for both. As stated earlier prices vary a lot and defra don't know why. Blimey. Mad Choccy boy can stay. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our vet insists that the rabies vaccine only lasts two years.

But there again, he suggested that I might like to pay £325 for unnecessary X-rays a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone please point me to evidence that the rabies vaccines can last three years? I would love to shove it up his.........

Nose!

There are brands of vaccine that only last two years just like there are brands that need a booster after the first 12 months.

Vanguard and Nobivac are both types that last three years with no booster required.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Don't need a rabies jab every year. Only ever three years.

As other have said the passport never expires.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Phew. Not so bad now. Passport I found out is for the item, registration and vet check. Had a phone around and although mine is with pet health plan discount, it is still reasonable. All around £120 ish for both. As stated earlier prices vary a lot and defra don't know why. Blimey. Mad Choccy boy can stay. :ROFLMAO:
If the £120 in total is for both dogs isn't bad if it is for the passports and the rabies jabs, if it's just the passports it's expensive!

You don't have to use you normal vet so can shop around without a problem. As for the rabies jab, you can get 1, 2 or 3 year 'dates' on them so make sure the vet has some 3 year 'dated' ones in stock before you get it done. The vet who's saying it is only 2 years max is talking b*llocks! Its definitely worth sticking out for the 3 years one as obviously it saves you a fair bit of dosh (no extra consultation or rabies jab charges which can add up over the years) - just a word of caution though, don't be tempted to get the rabies jab done at the same time as an annual vaccination as it could be too much for the dog's system, much better to have it as 2 separate visits with a bit of a gap in between.

The passport itself doesn't expire as such, it just gets full with all the entries! I would NOT however ever use 'loose' pages for anything - it is an official (ie legal) document and as such must NOT be tampered with or added to, you could easily find that the pet check people refuse you entry - if you think about it, the pages could easily be from any passport.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
The £120 is for both the jabs and passport but for one dog so it would be £240 for us. Vet does have 3 years available @ £42 each but it is the passport @ £77 each that I thought was expensive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The £120 is for both the jabs and passport but for one dog so it would be £240 for us. Vet does have 3 years available @ £42 each but it is the passport @ £77 each that I thought was expensive.
That IS expensive! Have a ring around local vets and see what the charge - that's what I did when we needed ours doing and fortunately our vet was on a par with the cheapest (just a couple of quid in it) so we still used them.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
As above, charges vary widely and even though I accept that vets are mostly independant and are there to make money, £70 for a small book that costs them pennies ( or maybe DEFRA supply them for free!) is a very good money spinner for them.
On average, vets near us ( east Kent) charge around £90 per dog for passport and 3 year jab.
Ring around, you will probably find it much cheaper than £120 each.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back