Attaching an awning to the motorhome (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to the site so still trying to find things.
We have just purchased an Elddis Motorhome and also a Kampa mini travel pod, the XL to fit the height of our van. The idea is that we will use this for stays of a few days or more, mainly when staying in one place but obviously so we can use it as a drive away if needed.
We have no Fiamma ( don't want to add one as not keen on them, sorry!!) but neither have we an awning rail. Can anyone tell us from experience if we should just stick with throwing the guys over the van and anchoring them down or is it worth getting some kind of fitting rail put on the side of the van. Thanks

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have done both when we used to have a Movelite XL drive away awning. The straps over the van work ok (tip - we used a tennis/dogs ball to throw the straps over the van), but this can move around with the wind and be a little noisy at night if light sleepers. We then got one of the figure of 8 beading things to attach to the Fiamma wind-out awning channel, which I preferred - as the tunnel moved about less.

If you don't want a wind-out awning, some people use those caravan awning channels on the side of the van to attach the drive-away awning via the beading.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
a little noisy at night if light sleepers.
We tried using the over the roof method once - never again. It sounded like there was a flock of woodpeckers trying to get in :eek: (and I am NOT a light sleeper)

If you don't want a wind-out awning, then you are probably best going for the caravan-type channels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes. I agree with above, the figure of 8 trim holds the tunnel to the m/h side securely. A caravan awning trim securely adhered to the side of the m/h will work just as well. If you go this route, do ensure you remove all traces of polish etc, from the site of the awning rail, to obtain a sound and secure adhesion. If you use screws, do ensure they are well sealed when applied, I would not use screws if they can be avoided.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I like the awning rail and figure of 8 system we have.

If we won't need the awning we leave it at home, if we do use it we have a "drive away". I was always worried about damage to the van roof from straps rubbing with a "strap over".

Don't screw the rail on to the van but use an automotive adhesive. We used Puraflex 40 but there are others available.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the replies. I think it is looking like the awning rail is going to be the favourite. Using stick on. Have found the link to them on Amazon. Will probably have to go back to carrying a set of light weight steps with us though so we can reach the awning rail.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
An update on progress ... or not! We took the awning with us on our first trip out, good thing too it p...ersisted! down for 3 days solid, mud and water everywhere, fortunately on hard standing. We decided to try the rope over the van method, using the tennis balls, thanks for that tip, it did work. Except on the one occasion the ball came off and landed in next field!. This was OK but the rain we had over the few days meant that it gathered a bit in the flap between van & awning as we couldn't get it tight enough. Meant tunnel area got a bit soggy. Inside awning was lovely and dry to keep dog stuff and dry dog off inside though. Decided we would go for the awning rail idea & had a look at some on-line.
We were in the dealers getting a few post sale bits sorted & asked them about fixing a rail. The big problem seems to be that this van is one of the new 'Solid' construction so sides are not aluminium.Apparently this means that it will not hold an awning rail. I find this difficult to understand as reading about the awning rail fitted to the same construction caravans on the Elddis website it would appear that the bonding is so good the awning would rip before the rail pulled off! So why not same for a motorhome. The dealer says that Elddis advise that an awning rail would need to be bolted through and if this was done that the fitter & us would have to sign a disclaimer should any damage occur using it.
So dilemma is.. do we do that or go up the road of fitting a Fiamma or Ormistor. We were dead against this originally as they appear very heavy on side of van & of less than sturdy construction have used one in the past & found slightest wind twisted its frame. We want it mainly for a long stay when over wintering in Spain etc.
We can get a fitting to put into a fiamma rail to do the job but this seems a very expensive way of doing it, also adds 30Kg+ weight to side of motorhome. Any other suggestions welcome please.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We pitch our awning away from the van,,,why does it have to be attached ?? is it because caravaners do it like that. Its no hassle to walk ten foot to access awning. We can still see out of all the van windows to. BUSBY.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Yes it probably is a caravaners thing!! We just thought the tunnel provided by the flap attached to the van gave us an extra bit of space. Also its a great area to towel off a very wet dog so he doesn't soak inside of awning or inside of motorhome. Having the dog is the main reason for having a small awning for us. The porch awning is for storing his food etc. if we are staying more than a couple of nights. Its also a good place to take off all the waterproof trousers and jackets after a walk. I suppose we have just got used to having one while we had a caravan & haven't quite moved fully into the Motorhome camp!!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Yes it probably is a caravaners thing!! We just thought the tunnel provided by the flap attached to the van gave us an extra bit of space. Also its a great area to towel off a very wet dog so he doesn't soak inside of awning or inside of motorhome. Having the dog is the main reason for having a small awning for us. The porch awning is for storing his food etc. if we are staying more than a couple of nights. Its also a good place to take off all the waterproof trousers and jackets after a walk. I suppose we have just got used to having one while we had a caravan & haven't quite moved fully into the Motorhome camp!!!

We try our utmost not to do wet weather,,,,,,only had wet day and two rainy nights in six months of travelling last year,,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thats the joy of walking in this country. 3 days solid rain first trip out. Second trip looked at weather forecast, dry so we tried without an awning. It was fine but still think it will be worth the hassle of putting it up if we are on a longer stay. Now our trip down to Spain at the end of the year, that will be different.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We had
Thats the joy of walking in this country. 3 days solid rain first trip out. Second trip looked at weather forecast, dry so we tried without an awning. It was fine but still think it will be worth the hassle of putting it up if we are on a longer stay. Now our trip down to Spain at the end of the year, that will be different.[/QUOTE
We had 7 days of non stop rain in Hawes years ago,,,luckily we were tuggers then so we could leave dogs in estate car after a walk (swim),,never again but we enjoyed it at the time,,,BUSBY.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi Madmag, I have also purchased an Elddis motorhome recently, Dec 15. Ours is a Marquis dealer special we purchased our Autosleeper from them three years ago and get on well with them. I have read with interest your dealings with Elddis!! I have tried to email the customer service team and have basically given up as they don't want to talk to their valued customers, they point you at your dealer all the time. I have had a reply from the head of customer services but again, go to the dealer, very sad. Now your issue with an awning rail, we are going through the same problem, Elddis fitted a Dometic 3m awning to our van (part of the dealer special bit) however it is just above the habitation door and unless the legs are at max length, the door fouls the awning!! If they had fitted it even 2 inches higher it would have made all the difference. Like you we wish to fit a porch or drive away to the van, if you use the 6mm track on the bottom of the front section again it fouls the door. I have been working on fitting a C rail above the Dometic wind out awning and have been advised by the dealer they can stick one on with double sided tape, they use this system on VW campers. I am sceptical that double sided tape is up to the job!! If Elddis fitted a Domitec awning to the side of our "Solid" construction van why can't you fit a C rail if it is sealed properly, it lighter than my Dometic I am sure. The dealers use proprietary adhesives and I know from experience they stick motorhomes together all the time, not Solid construction with ten year warranty. Try and make that work knowing Elddis as I do! Like you we winter in Spain and would be happy to leave a 2m porch style up for the duration of the stay if we can secure the kador bead to the van. We have a stand alone annex and it works well, but a porch gives you more privacy on site. I purchased a Vango Kela driveaway but although it is a nice piece of kit, it is heavy, 18kg and bulky when folded up. Also it protrudes 3.7m from the van and is 3.1m in length. It's just too big for us. We have used it stand alone as you loose the tunnel width, better but it's still heavy. Our annex is only 7kg and is 2m x 2m. I just want to attach a 2m x 2.5m Kampa porch to the van some how. I have even sourced plastic C rail in 1m lengths, if I can find a suitable adhesive I would give it a go, and my ten year warranty would be intact!! Thought please. :)

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
At the moment I am waiting for dealer to get back to me after they have spoken to Elddiss again. We have even offered to go up to Durham and have them factory fitted! Interested to know about not invalidating the warranty if you just stick a rail on, is that from Elddiss. If this is the case then I am sure there is a suitable adhesive out there. What I cannot understand is why it is such a problem. It is only the top 'flap' but of the porch section which we want to attach as find the tunnel this makes very useful particularly for drying a wet dog!! We have bought a kampa air awning the smallest one but if we can get a rail sorted then will be getting a bigger more traditional one for our long stay in Spain as the idea is that the van stays out for as much time as possible but we have the ability to drive away if needed.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi thanks for responding quickly, I spoke to the service manager in Marquis Motorhomes in Devon as my van is going in for warranty work prior to our next trip to Europe. I discussed the problem of attaching a C rail above my wind out awning, he explained they use a high bonding 3M double sided tape that is extremely strong. If you don't put screws into the GRP Elddis must honour the ten year Solid warranty. I have also emailed 3M myself this morning and asked for their advice on a product to do the job. I can't understand why Elddis don't want to fit the rail for you if you have offered to drive to Co Durham. I think they don't want to meet any of their valued customers face to face personally!! Good luck and frankly your are better off without a wind out awning, ours has to roll out horizontal to clear the door and is frankly useless as a sun shade. What a waste of money!! It's typical of designers who don't use the products in my view.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi Madmag again, I have just remembered a conversation I had with Kirsty Smith, head of customer relations in Elddis. I requested a price for a bathroom cupboard, she responded they have no facility for retail sales and to contact my dealer. The factory is a production line and they do not have a service centre. We were spoilt in the past as we visited Autosleeper service centre on several occasions for enhancements to our old van. The customer service there is fantastic. It is located by the production section but they deal with the public. What's more they service other makes as well. I think Elddis has no facility to accept you back to the factory to install a 3m piece of awning rail, and that's the problem. I suggested to Mz Smith that I might go to the Autosleeper service centre to have a cupboard fitted. Answer, no comment!! That says lots ech!!

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi berni109, I think that is the answer especially if I can clag it on to the front at the top edge, that will give me nearly 3 inches lift so should clear the habitation door. If I can get some high strength adhesive it would work fine. Thanks for your thoughts. Might even ask Marquis to do it for me when I'm down next week.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
double sided bodywork fixing tape that motor repairers use for fixing trim work to resprayed panels is what u need. Just make sure everything is scrupulously clean and dewaxed before use.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
It was suggested we put a rail onto the side of a Wind Out awning but we do not want to add one. As i said before, too heavy & a very expensive way of doing it. I suppose though if you already have one on yours then sticking one onto this would work. The advantage also would be you could wind the awning out, slide in the awning edge and then wind it back up to the van. No steps needed, could all be done at a manageable height. If you go onto the Elddiss caravan web site FAQ's section there is a long detailed section explaining the bonding they use for the awning rail on caravans & how the awning would rip before the rail pulled off. I know we are talking about 2 different fixings but it is the bonding material I am more interested in. I think if the bit about not invalidating the warranty if don't drill through is correct then if we get no joy from the dealers request to Elddiss (waiting 10 days for a reply now) then it looks like the best option for us. Means taking a lightweight pair of steps with us to Spain but thats not a problem, could even get them there.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Thank you berni109 I am contacting a company in Bristol that 3M passed on to me for high bonding tape, it is exactly what you have suggested. Cleaning each surface is very important as you have explained. More on that when I phone them, exact product etc.
Madmag, you will be able to use same before you go off to Spain. No need to buy wind out at all. You will need to get up to thread in the bead as you have rightly said. Small portable steps or borrow from maintenance man on site. You may manage off your step to get into the van. My advice would be get it well clear of habitation door, my problem. What model do you have, ours is 6m Accordo style, low profile, Marquis call it a Majestic 1?? Ours 125 friends have similar 105. I have found a white plastic C rail that I have ordered (not yet arrived) that would look more pleasing than standard alloy but probably not as strong.
In winter we stay in southern Spain and it does blow!! From the East and West, I know funsters who have spent time putting up awnings and taken them down during the night, make sure you have "rock pegs" and a lump hammer. Bon voyage for your trip, hope you can go with an awning attached.

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Reading this with great interest. Have a La Strada, based on a hightop Transit Panel Van and want to but a driveway awning but not sure how to attach it. Don't want a wind out awning as reasons stated early weight and wouldn't use, gutting is very small so can't clip anything on this.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi DuncanH, watch this space as I'm nearly there. Just off the phone to a 3M dealer in Bristol (my nearest) the tape we will use is 3M VHB(very high bond) is comes in various widths, colours, and thickness. Interesting is the thickness does not compromise the strength. I will stick mine onto my wind out awning front section, that's because I have one from build, even though the manufacturer has in my humble option fitted it too low above my habitation door. There is a 6mm track on this section but it's on the bottom, so is useless as the top of the door will catch on the canvas roof and damage it in time. It wouldn't have mattered if I had a sliding door like my previous van, similar to your La Strada. I will stick the C rail on the top edge thereby raising my canvas roof 2-3 inches. I will also attach a C rail low down to take an awning skirt to stop stray cats wandering in under the van. It stops the wind blowing in as well. I have a Vango Kela tall driveaway and it is very good quality and is inflatable so good in windy conditions. They tend to be deep as you have the tunnel section between the van and the tent. Mine is 370 deep by 310 width. Some pitches are tight these days! The tent has a groundsheet fitted but the tunnel is on to the pitch.
You could easily stick a C section rail say 3m in length above your sliding door but remember you might need steps to pull the kador bead down the track like the other guys contributing to this conversation. When I receive the plastic (white colour) C rail I will post on another note as that might fit better with your colour scheme. If it's no good, then is's alloy or alloy.
Kind regards,
Clankie

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Clankie I have had a similar issue and after talking to a few knowledgeable people there is a small attachment which can be clipped to the top of the habitation door which basically is a small wheel and when the door opens it pushes up the awning fabric ,I have yet to see one as yet but I'm sure some funsters have them on their vans .:)

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Following this with interest as still no word from dealer so looks like it's going to be a DIY job. Like the idea of a bottom rail for an awning skirt. We did manage to use our air awning and tunnel section by throwing the guy ropes over the van but couldn't get enough tension so rained pooled in the roof flap. We hope to get something sorted so that we can use the small air awning for short trips and a larger awning for longer stays. Could do with it now as sitting looking at rain lashing down outside van, having to use lots of rugs and towels for when us or dog comes in. I think we must have a sign painted on the roof that says "rain here!!" New van, 3rd short trip away to get used to things and only had one dry day so far.

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi guys, sorry to hear about the weather Madmag, I have a sample in the post from Bristol to try, their words:
3M VHB 5952, "is a very conformable double sided, pressure sensitive, closed cell acrylic foam tape" wow!!
It comes in 1/2" 3/4" and 1" no prices but I'm sure it's expensive. I've looked at some of the trials in YouTube using 3M products and I must say I am amazed, I hope it works for me! Watch this space. I don't know if you can put a photo in a message but I will try when I get the rail fixed.

DuncanH

Free Member
Mar 10, 2015
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Panel Van
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Clankie I'll be interested how you get on. I'm a bit concerned sticking a rail on the side (last year the Vango dealer at the NEC suggested that) in case it came off and pulled paintwork off with it.

I like the idea of the Outdoor Revolution magnetic strip that Vanderek linked to, I found video of a similar one made by Outwell . Problem is my roof is 8.5 ft high so would need steps and I don't have a lot of room in my little van.

I'm going to the Peterborough show on Friday so will have a good look and chat there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back