Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, all here's a tip for you all if your vehicle is fitted with yellow indicator bulbs and if you are like me, a tightarse!. My M/H home just went for m.o.t and the examiner failed it on one o these bulbs because ,after time thy lose the yellow coating so blink "clear" he also gave an "advise" on the other one. (hey looked the same to me when I took them out, so I bought one at £2.25!!! When Igot up from the shock I thought I'm not buying two!, so when I got home I dipped one of the "failed" bulbs in coloured wood varnish a couple of times, let it dry and tested it , and bingo! it worked perfectly. So I put it in along with the new bulb and the van passed the retest no trouble. It seems daft to throw a perfectly good bulb away because it has lost it's colour but is still in working order. Idon't know how long my ne will last but I've plenty varnish left to do it again- cost- NIL!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
tightarse!.

Hi, all here's a tip for you all if your vehicle is fitted with yellow indicator bulbs and if you are like me, a tightarse!. My M/H home just went for m.o.t and the examiner failed it on one o these bulbs because ,after time thy lose the yellow coating so blink "clear" he also gave an "advise" on the other one. (hey looked the same to me when I took them out, so I bought one at £2.25!!! When Igot up from the shock I thought I'm not buying two!, so when I got home I dipped one of the "failed" bulbs in coloured wood varnish a couple of times, let it dry and tested it , and bingo! it worked perfectly. So I put it in along with the new bulb and the van passed the retest no trouble. It seems daft to throw a perfectly good bulb away because it has lost it's colour but is still in working order. Idon't know how long my ne will last but I've plenty varnish left to do it again- cost- NIL!

So you put youself and other roadusers at risk for £2.25 thats not and I quote a tightarse!.
its a pity you can't be reported for it or can I will check the DVLA website using a product not fit for use.

Alf

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
So you put youself and other roadusers at risk for £2.25 thats not and I quote a tightarse!.
its a pity you can't be reported for it or can I will check the DVLA website using a product not fit for use.

Alf

Have you seen the light? if you did I would challenge you to tell which one it is. You really shouldn't comment on something you don't know!
Dave:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Alf

lighten up Alf. (no pun intended)

please explain just how is Dave putting himself and others at risk!!!!

what is the problem with colouring a bulb yourself ?

the bulb is coated with a colour pigment at manufacture....its not coloured glass.

as for a product 'not fit for use'.....is it a bulb? yes, and does it light when required? yes, and does it glow with an orange tint? yes.......then that, in my opinion, is 'fit for use'

and lastly...was the MOT tester satisfied with it ? yes.

no problem.

excellent tip Dave and keep dipping.:thumb:

incidently Alf......it has nothing to do with DVLA.....its a VOSA matter.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I remember having to paint the stop and taillight bulbs on an old Elddis Autoking with the wifes nail varnish becouse the lenses had faded,and were not availadle any more.
The camper is still going strong now,years later.::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
front indicator lens got smashed on my landrover disco......dont go serious offroading if you dont want to break something:Doh:
a sheet of orange plastic from a 'pop' bottle, superglued over the broken lens.
cost....nowt...nil...nada...buckshee.:thumb:
new lamp...around £60.:Eeek:

3 MOTs later i sold it.:thumb:

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years

Alf

Having a bad day Alf?

Ian

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Valid MOT ?

The MOT regulations are for a purpose they are to comply with the Road Traffic Acts.
To repair a failed MOT or an advised fail you must repair with a CE marked item.

If dipping in varnish were an accepted method a tin of varnish or similar product would be marketed by car accessory shops and recomended by MOT garages

A few years ago a similar product was available for headlights unfortunately the coating does not last.
Varnish may look the same but it is not heatproof.

A CE approved bulb was required and should have been fitted it was not so where does it leave him

As the repair for the MOT has been done by a none accepted method and a none CE marked product the MOT is void so will be his insurance if his MOT is void, has he notified his insurance that he has carried out a modification to his direction indicators!!

This man now has an accident he damages your camper, knocks down a relative, your wife or child some smart accident investigator turns up the bulb his insurance is turned down all for £2.25.

MOT is for a purpose we should adhere to the if not where are we.

Lookback asks have I had a bad day no not till now. A silly remark, a news item, a story in a newspaper and such as the Op cutting corners brings back a bad memory.

A few years ago near to me on the M1 there was a bad accident a young women, a mother infarct was trapped in he car in the pile up the car caught fire before the fire brigade arrived and despite the attempts by several drivers the women burnt to death her screams could be heard for miles or so it seemed at the time they seemed to last for ages but only a few minutes I suppose but reality goes out of the window the memory is triggered by the most stupid things.The screams are the worst thing I have ever heard and whilst not directly connected to the OP corner cutting on safety is

MOT’s are for a purpose and we should adhere to them
Pappajohn as a senior member I am surprised at your attitude and remarks ALL for £2.25
OK it should have been VOSA.
So you recommend people to flout the MOT regs do you?
You are qualified as what to give opinions.
So the MOT man testing your Disco did a good job did he?
It’s all about attitude I was bought up honest and law abiding I have driven for 51 years modern driving standards and attitude has a smack of I’m alright jack bu**er you we hear of similar stories all the time.If you had bought a new vehicle and had to go change all the bulbs you would not be best pleased

If the OP sends me his address I will send him 3 quid for a new bulb.
The tightarse!. was the OP's own quote.

Alf

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Amber indicator bulbs have off set pins to prevent them

a) Being used other than indicators and
b) to prevent clear bulbs being used to replace them or clear ones that have been DIY varnished.

Surely a bulb that has lost it's colour must be on it's last legs ?

If they cost a fortune or you couldn't source one then it may be a reasonable bodge .. otherwise .. makes no sense to me to try and lengthen it's life by re varnishing .. all for the sake of a couple of quid.

just my opinion

jim

Last edited:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Have you seen the light? if you did I would challenge you to tell which one it is. You really shouldn't comment on something you don't know!
Dave:Angry:

You were asked to do a particular job you did by an unauthorised method you did not comply with the request to fit 2 new bulbs with CE mark
your MOT and Insurance are technically void for £ 2.25

Alf

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I had a problem on my car, the door handles I fit to it had white marker lights built into them, I wanted to hook them up to my indicators so they needed to be painted amber.

Have you noticed that car-part shops don't sell the stuff any more?

Well, upon the sugestion of a friend I went to an arts and crafts shop and bought some orange glass paint.............jobs a good'n :thumb:

I was warned away from using varnish or nailvarnish as I was told the heat from the lamp would turn it brown, peel off or it could even caltch fire.

Boo

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year

No more tips from you then Dave?:ROFLMAO:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

My indicator bulbs are not painted with anything, they look like they have a rainbow (oil on water) affect inside them, they came from either Aldi's or Lidl's and they have gone through the MOT with no problem, they do show as Orange when the power is applied to them.

Just thought I would add that little piece of information.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,

My indicator bulbs are not painted with anything, they look like they have a rainbow (oil on water) affect inside them, they came from either Aldi's or Lidl's and they have gone through the MOT with no problem, they do show as Orange when the power is applied to them.

Just thought I would add that little piece of information.

I've seen these ones Brian, you can also get 'silvered' bulbs that go amber when power applied, much favoured by the 'style' concious boy racers .. :Cool:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Alf........you have far to much time on your hands, maybe you should get out a bit more in the motorhome. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For Gods sake what does it matter if its CE approved, its a bloody light bulb :Doh: as long as it shows amber does it really matter?? I have used the stained glass window colouring to change the reversing lights on my RV to amber to use as indicators. :thumb:

Maybe we should all club together and donate a few pennies each so Alf can go and buy himself a life :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Baby Dazzer

Alf........you have far to much time on your hands, maybe you should get out a bit more in the motorhome. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For Gods sake what does it matter if its CE approved, its a bloody light bulb :Doh: as long as it shows amber does it really matter?? I have used the stained glass window colouring to change the reversing lights on my RV to amber to use as indicators. :thumb:

Maybe we should all club together and donate a few pennies each so Alf can go and buy himself a life :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dazzer with 68 posts I lag a long way behind yourself and pappajohn for time on my hands.
the post was about the merit of the tip against a bulb cost of £2.25 as for the C mark if it does not have one or has been tamered with its not road legal If you wish to change your bulb colours this is a matter for you .
if abuse is required I see from your baby you don't need it from me.
Your atitude is what is wrong with motor caravanning today :restmycase::restmycase:

den den little boy keep your penny's ask your mummy to buy you a bigger rattle or dummy

Alf

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Alf

The terms small minded and petty spring to mind. I think you will find that its your uptight, tow the line, do as am i told because they say I have to, its for your own good, health and safety gone mad attitude that is wrong with the country as a whole.

Just what has my car got to do with light bulbs??:Doh:. My pickup is a work vehicle used to tow a great big heavy trailer round the country, I bought it because I couldnt find a European truck capable of doing the job. The fact that its stunning to look at and will outdo a Porche from the lights is just a bonus :winky:

As a legal advisor to the government on all things "vehicle bulbs" and your sweeping statement that self coloured bulbs are all "Illegal" you must be aware of the exact shade of amber that is allowed?? This being the case why are car manufacturers allowed to have different shades of amber on indicators? If this precious CE marking you keep prattling on about is SOOOOO good why do they need to be replaced as they have faded to clear before the bulb fails :winky:

As for me having too much time on my hands and the number of posts ive made (why would anyone even bother to check that by the way :Doh:) ive been on here for a while and the posts add up.:winky:

Now that weve got that sorted out and weve had a big group hug and are all friends again, im off to go and paint some more bulbs :thumb::thumb:

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
Now come on ! dont let this site turn into the one we all know about.
Lets put it all down to the rotten weather and just try to chill out. :Cool:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Now come on ! dont let this site turn into the one we all know about.
Lets put it all down to the rotten weather and just try to chill out. :Cool:

Well said chas. :thumb:

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
You were asked to do a particular job you did by an unauthorised method you did not comply with the request to fit 2 new bulbs with CE mark
your MOT and Insurance are technically void for £ 2.25

Alf

As this particular bulb was only an ADVISE I could have left it on the van , but I thought because of health and safety, I would colour it to make it more conspicuous to other road users especially to drivers who don't appear to see beyond the end of thir nose.
Have a nice day,regards, Dave:thumb: By the way I can't find any ce marks on the bulbs.

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Well said chas. :thumb:

Quite right as well Keith...well said. ::bigsmile:

Grown men bickering like kids :Eeek: :Blush: you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Now both of you go outside and play nicely :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Im with you on this one Dave :thumb::thumb:. :ROFLMAO:

Good lad for doing your bit to save the world resources and recycle. You should be given a huge pat on the back :thumb::winky:

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Bulb

The MOT regulations are for a purpose they are to comply with the Road Traffic Acts.
To repair a failed MOT or an advised fail you must repair with a CE marked item.

If dipping in varnish were an accepted method a tin of varnish or similar product would be marketed by car accessory shops and recomended by MOT garages

A few years ago a similar product was available for headlights unfortunately the coating does not last.
Varnish may look the same but it is not heatproof.

A CE approved bulb was required and should have been fitted it was not so where does it leave him

As the repair for the MOT has been done by a none accepted method and a none CE marked product the MOT is void so will be his insurance if his MOT is void, has he notified his insurance that he has carried out a modification to his direction indicators!!

This man now has an accident he damages your camper, knocks down a relative, your wife or child some smart accident investigator turns up the bulb his insurance is turned down all for £2.25.

MOT is for a purpose we should adhere to the if not where are we.

Lookback asks have I had a bad day no not till now. A silly remark, a news item, a story in a newspaper and such as the Op cutting corners brings back a bad memory.

A few years ago near to me on the M1 there was a bad accident a young women, a mother infarct was trapped in he car in the pile up the car caught fire before the fire brigade arrived and despite the attempts by several drivers the women burnt to death her screams could be heard for miles or so it seemed at the time they seemed to last for ages but only a few minutes I suppose but reality goes out of the window the memory is triggered by the most stupid things.The screams are the worst thing I have ever heard and whilst not directly connected to the OP corner cutting on safety is

MOT’s are for a purpose and we should adhere to them
Pappajohn as a senior member I am surprised at your attitude and remarks ALL for £2.25
OK it should have been VOSA.
So you recommend people to flout the MOT regs do you?
You are qualified as what to give opinions.
So the MOT man testing your Disco did a good job did he?
It’s all about attitude I was bought up honest and law abiding I have driven for 51 years modern driving standards and attitude has a smack of I’m alright jack bu**er you we hear of similar stories all the time.If you had bought a new vehicle and had to go change all the bulbs you would not be best pleased

If the OP sends me his address I will send him 3 quid for a new bulb.
The tightarse!. was the OP's own quote.

Alf

Oh my God I've heard it all now The world is in chaos, our economy is in melt down, our soldiers are dying in illegal wars and Alfs worried about a BULB. :Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just to drift off topic a little. My rear fog lamp had broken and I had to replace it. I had a look at the legislation to see if it needed to be a certain size. There was nothing to tell me and so I asked Geo in a pm and he said no it can be any size.

However the legislation gives a minimum and maximum height from the ground that it needs to be and a dimension that it should be from the centre line of the vehicle. :whatthe:

It also says that the lamp must be E marked :whatthe: and the bulb has to be of a certain strength, cant remember what but 21 something springs to mind:Doh:

Now what law is it that tells me when I should turn it on or turn it off.

Ive never seen anyone done for not having one on in the fog or for having one on when the fog clears if that makes sense. So what does the law say about that.

Still havent fitted it because I think Iv'e blown a fuse and cant find the thing. Think Iv'e blown it by putting the terminal wires in the lamp the wrong way around.

I have one black and one brown and dont know which is the live wire. Could do with some help on that.

As regards the £2.00 light bulb I woud never have looked in to it so deeply. It all seems so petty and besides I only use Blue nail varnish.

Cheers
Jim
:roflmto:

Last edited:
OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just to drift off topic a little. My rear fog lamp had broken and I had to replace it. I had a look at the legislation to see if it needed to be a certain size. There was nothing to tell me and so I asked Geo in a pm and he said no it can be any size.

However the legislation gives a minimum and maximum height from the ground that it needs to be and a dimension that it should be from the centre line of the vehicle. :whatthe:

It also says that the lamp must be E marked :whatthe: and the bulb has to be of a certain strength, cant remember what but 21 something springs to mind:Doh:

Now what law is it that tells me when I should turn it on or turn it off.

Ive never seen anyone done for not having one on in the fog or for having one on when the fog clears if that makes sense. So what does the law say about that.

Still havent fitted it because I think Iv'e blown a fuse and cant find the thing. Think Iv'e blown it by putting the terminal wires in the lamp the wrong way around.

I have one black and one brown and dont know which is the live wire. Could do with some help on that.

As regards the £2.00 light bulb I woud never have looked in to it so deeply. It all seems so petty and besides I only use Blue nail varnish.

Cheers
Jim
:roflmto:

Hi, Jim if you look at the wires where the bulb holder is you will see one (usually the black one ) is connected to the "outer" edge of the holder- this wil be the earth, the other (brown) wire will go to the centre pin which should be insulated from the other-this is the live feed. Hope this helps

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Any more tips Dave.

John.

Hi, John, yes- I've just made some levelling ramps (double width) for my twin rear wheels. Made them out of CEmarked decking board which I had left over from a previous job. My good lady has made some wheel-cover bags from CE marked waterproof material for when th van is parked up in the sun-probably won't use them much! She's also made bags for the screen covers too- CE marked of course! What did we do before CE marking was required? it's a wonder the world didn't self destruct ages ago!
Cheers, Dave:thumb::winky:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi, John, yes- I've just made some levelling ramps (double width) for my twin rear wheels. Made them out of CEmarked decking board which I had left over from a previous job. My good lady has made some wheel-cover bags from CE marked waterproof material for when th van is parked up in the sun-probably won't use them much! She's also made bags for the screen covers too- CE marked of course! What did we do before CE marking was required? it's a wonder the world didn't self destruct ages ago!
Cheers, Dave:thumb::winky:

Is that hint of sarcasm Dave?? :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Is that hint of sarcasm Dave?? :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:

Whatever makes you think that Dazzer ?

Dave:thumb:

(I never voted for the Common Market, did you?)

Last edited:

Bigtrev8xl

Free Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp

Alf

I can’t see what the problem is, if you’re not comfortable it, ignore the tip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back