Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
has anyone updated there truck sat av? They are sold with free lifetime updates but I am struggling to find the correct site
Many thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its an ongoing issue. they havent updated the downloads for months. we have discussed this on the forum over the last few months and several members have tried to discuss it via email with the suppliers to no avail.
the problem seems to be that the chinese sellers were including pirate software and the updates have been stopped.

working on a solution though

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Okey dokey, I have emailed the seller a few times about an ongoing problem about having to recalibrate it all the time, no reply as yet

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As mentioned in it isn't just the Chinese cheapies that are now deficient in truck maps (so can not possibly do what they advertise they will) but also devices sold by UK companies which source their supplies from Shenzhen. The (Lancaster based) company I mentioned in that post is still selling "truck" sat navs at around twice (or higher) the price of the Chinese cheapies but its latest map update set (which has to be downloaded over a very slow connection from China) apparently still has no .ftr file within it.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Eventually, I gave up, after many emails, as there standard response came down to being told "not to worry" and " It is out of warranty, send it back for repair." No amount of reasoning could get them to see, that it was not broken, so did not need a repair, only updating and so it was pointless to return it. After several weeks, going around this circle, I found more important things to do. They did send me the 2014 map set, which was what I already had though, which leads me to believe that is as good as it gets. :madder:

They also denied software piracy. :mask:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've given up on mine as well. It was a bit suspect as it had crashed on several occasions but identifying the piracy issue was the last straw. I've been investigating alternatives as a backup to the Garmin Camper 760, which is very good in general, but have been having problems finding one which works properly.

OP
OP
Antony bleasdale

Antony bleasdale

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Morecambe
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Bring back the good old maps and and the entertaining instructions from my other half. She gets flustered in the dales so should be eventful in France in June, can't wait

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I have not had the opportunity to actually use the one I bought in earnest at all. To make things worse I was overnight in the the UK at Gatwick last Tuesday. Stuffed into hotel at East Grinstead, looked into the Alid store while mooching about and ended up buying a Garmin 660 LMT-D Europe 45, on offer for 199.00. Very pleased with that playing in hotel and all updated when I got it back here on Wednesday. Driving female voice bonkers on this island of narrow lanes and sharp bends. Looks promising for France this year. Not as simple as the Tom Tom but that is simply differences training.

Not the reply you are looking for but I think you are probably better off forgetting the Chinese number, putting it down to the learning curve and popping into your local Aldi, I wish we had one on Guernsey.

Good luck Clive:france:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning GJH,

I agree. I am just having to retrain the old brain after years of Tom Tom.

Very pleased so far, even stooped to reading the instructions!

Cheers Clive

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
even stooped to reading the instructions!
Oh dear, I hate to see a man have to resort to that.

I hope it was as a result of a shout of "why don't you read the book" from the love of your life (like I get) rather than a symptom of illness ;):LOL:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Will start a new thread as I do not wish to hijack this one. New thread = Lunatic goes Garmin!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Bring back the good old maps and and the entertaining instructions from my other half. She gets flustered in the dales so should be eventful in France in June, can't wait

Yes, I know just what you mean. On the rare occasions I ask my wife to navigate I will count myself lucky if she can find the right page in the map book. She will usually then hold the book up and point to a road saying something like ' look, this is where we are'. She just doesn't understand I can't look at the map book while I am driving the van!

Paul

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Did I read somewhere someone has the updates and not just a link to the defunct website?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I bought a Nozatec last year and wish I had put the £40 towards a proper sat nav ...... Gave it away last week!:D
I have to disagree - I've found my nozatec to be the equal of anything else I've tried [with an understanding of the price] - I tried out the Garmin 660LT when on Aldi special at £140 but returned it as I didn't see the benefit the extra £100 brought.
But as with most things, each to their own (y).

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have to disagree - I've found my nozatec to be the equal of anything else I've tried [with an understanding of the price] - I tried out the Garmin 660LT when on Aldi special at £140 but returned it as I didn't see the benefit the extra £100 brought.
But as with most things, each to their own (y).
Yep!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I bought a Nozatec last year and wish I had put the £40 towards a proper sat nav ...... Gave it away last week!

P.S. How's it going @bobandjanie :D
Well @icantremember :) We circled Norwich a few times on the way back from yours. The speed siren sounded almost continuously, the emergency vehicle icon was spinning and the satellites kept getting lost :-/ So, I rang Garmin, found ours would be back by Friday and we hung about and waited for it. There was NO WAY the Chinese one would have taken us in the right directions. However. It was a lovely ride out to yours, the coffee was delicious and we loved seeing you both back on your home turf :-D Hanie, Bob and Izzy. That sat nav is now in the loft!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Can you guide me to the instructions on how to update please. I'm sure I can fumble my way there when my laptop decides to boot up but someone else has pmd me for instructions, so I'd rather good ones were posted here...incase I get stuck too of course. :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would need permission from @icantremember first! :-D
I think if its just collecting dust then @icantremember will approve. Our local boot sale now sells them at £15 yes you read it correctly £15 but that £15 is very valuable to the smaller charities where most of the money goes to charity and not a fat cats wallet. You could easily start an online auction right here on fun.:)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Well @icantremember :) We circled Norwich a few times on the way back from yours. The speed siren sounded almost continuously, the emergency vehicle icon was spinning and the satellites kept getting lost :-/ So, I rang Garmin, found ours would be back by Friday and we hung about and waited for it. There was NO WAY the Chinese one would have taken us in the right directions. However. It was a lovely ride out to yours, the coffee was delicious and we loved seeing you both back on your home turf :-D Hanie, Bob and Izzy. That sat nav is now in the loft!
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm sorry about that, I guess the loft is the safest place for it!

Was great to see you all .... till next time keep safe and enjoy travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back