Newbie Question - Water At Shows And Rallies (1 Viewer)

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
We're new motorhomers of 2 weeks, so learning the ropes. We've just received an email from the Caravan Club about the forthcoming MH show at the Norfolk Showground next month. Its for 3 or 4 days camping and I wondered what everyone does about fresh and grey water when staying at something like this. Our tanks are 90 and 68 litres, so probably average capacity for 2008 MH. Is there usually a motorhome station to fill up and empty or do you just have to be very frugal? Ditto loo emptying?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
There will be fresh water supplies and an elsan point at the Norfolk Showground. You should have no problems.
Book into the show to join the Funsters, there will be quite a few of us there to show you the ropes.
Brisey.

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Can't comment on Norfolk as not been there, but for many large gatherings you find the pressure on the water system can be very low when everyone is arriving. It's one of the few occasions we travel full of fresh water, and you can the top up later when there are no queues and higher pressure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
So do you carry a water barrel or similar? Presumably you can't drive the MH over and top up with your hose. Ditto grey waste?

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

We are going to the Norfolk Show, first time we have been to a show or rally. I remember reading on a Warners site somewhere that they advise you to arrive with some water on board as, like grumps says, water pressure can be low.

We always use a couple of watering cans for filling with water, doesn't take many trips to the tap to fill up.

Paul

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a Aquaroll (5 gallon barrel that rolls) and then just pump it into onboard tank, we arrive with enough to get us going so no rush. Watering can is OK but it's a lot more trips to the tap than a barrel.

You will find a lot of Grey waste taps tend to dribble a bit at shows so if you are lucky it will be empty when you come to go home.

Toilet cassette dump are plentiful on the show field.

Martin

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
On arrival at the rally, the MH Fun Marshall's first question is, "Do you need any water?" They will either direct you to a fill-up point before you settle, or if you have a some already on board, you can top up as required using a simple 10 litre plastic container (the 20 litre ones tend to be bulky to stow and heavy when full). There will be plenty on sale at the show. Make sure you get a 'food grade' container if you are using the water to drink AND make sure that you either get one with a long nozzle, or take a funnel; otherwise you fill your shoes up more than the van!

As far as black waste goes, there are dump point's dotted around the area. These vary in appearance, but on large shows like Norfolk, they tend to be flat plastic/rubberised large square things (approx 10'x10'x2') with a few circular covered apertures in the top. Just dump your black waste in there. The trick is to be a curtain twitcher! As soon as you spot someone lugging a cassette (normally morning time at silly o'clock) watch where they go to empty it.

Grey waste? Now THERE'S a story......
There's the 'night time crackers'. They're nocturnal folk who nip out after dark and crack open the waste tap a nat's so that a little trickles out overnight. There's the 'Full Monty' crowd who also sneak out after dark, but open the grey valve fully and finally, there's the 'Aren't I Good' brigade who have all sorts of buckets, hoses, trollies and buggies. This variety only work in daylight, walk miles to disposal and ensure you SEE that they are NOT the type to sully mother earth with washing up suds.

Oh. I forgot the 'Trailblazers'. They wait until they leave, open the waste cock and leave a trail that Tonto would be proud of!

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I'll claim the 5th on that one. @Cat53 . All I'm saying is, I'm not a 'Trailblazer' :whistle:

Upvote 0

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
On arrival at the rally, the MH Fun Marshall's first question is, "Do you need any water?" They will either direct you to a fill-up point before you settle, or if you have a some already on board, you can top up as required using a simple 10 litre plastic container (the 20 litre ones tend to be bulky to stow and heavy when full). There will be plenty on sale at the show. Make sure you get a 'food grade' container if you are using the water to drink AND make sure that you either get one with a long nozzle, or take a funnel; otherwise you fill your shoes up more than the van!

As far as black waste goes, there are dump point's dotted around the area. These vary in appearance, but on large shows like Norfolk, they tend to be flat plastic/rubberised large square things (approx 10'x10'x2') with a few circular covered apertures in the top. Just dump your black waste in there. The trick is to be a curtain twitcher! As soon as you spot someone lugging a cassette (normally morning time at silly o'clock) watch where they go to empty it.

Grey waste? Now THERE'S a story......
There's the 'night time crackers'. They're nocturnal folk who nip out after dark and crack open the waste tap a nat's so that a little trickles out overnight. There's the 'Full Monty' crowd who also sneak out after dark, but open the grey valve fully and finally, there's the 'Aren't I Good' brigade who have all sorts of buckets, hoses, trollies and buggies. This variety only work in daylight, walk miles to disposal and ensure you SEE that they are NOT the type to sully mother earth with washing up suds.

Oh. I forgot the 'Trailblazers'. They wait until they leave, open the waste cock and leave a trail that Tonto would be proud of!
Love this! I'm learning everyday on here :clap2:I think I will opt for the nightime cracker you can't be too good in life! :drink:

Upvote 0

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
What's the difference Wingman between 'grey' waste and 'black' waste?
Thanks
Mimi

Upvote 0

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Funflair mentions pumping the water from the barrel do all motorhomes have this facility ? If not what's the answer?
Thanks
Mimi

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Funflair mentions pumping the water from the barrel do all motorhomes have this facility ? If not what's the answer?
Thanks
Mimi
We have a 10 litre food-grade water container and a flexible funnel like these (also a 5 litre container that we keep topped up in-board).
SIL793799-255x255.jpg

What's the difference Wingman between 'grey' waste and 'black' waste?
Thanks
Mimi
Although I'm not Wingman I know this one:
  • grey waste is from washing-up, showering etc, & therefore although it can be anti-social (gets smellier the older it is) it's comparatively safe - but IMV still better to dump where facilities are provided - this is contentious! and there are thousands of pages about it on the forum
  • black waste is from the toilet & no decent person would advocate dumping anywhere other than where & how directed on a site; if wilding, you need to find good facilities eg public loos, or if a member, then some C&CC sites allow a 'housekeeping' visit for about £7 - again many threads with help on this one

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks
Mimi
No is the simple answer, it was an option on our van when it was new. You can buy various DIY pumps that you just need to supply a 12volt supply for.

Martin

Upvote 0

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you all.
CWH where did you get the funnel from?
Thanks Mimi

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We have a 10 litre food-grade water container and a flexible funnel like these (also a 5 litre container that we keep topped up in-board).
SIL793799-255x255.jpg

Although I'm not Wingman I know this one:
  • grey waste is from washing-up, showering etc, & therefore although it can be anti-social (gets smellier the older it is) it's comparatively safe - but IMV still better to dump where facilities are provided - this is contentious! and there are thousands of pages about it on the forum
  • black waste is from the toilet & no decent person would advocate dumping anywhere other than where & how directed on a site; if wilding, you need to find good facilities eg public loos, or if a member, then some C&CC sites allow a 'housekeeping' visit for about £7 - again many threads with help on this one

I use to be like this. Cart around large water cans, wheeled waste water units, small submersible pumps and the like. Then I got tired of listening to Les telling me I had too much junk and nowhere bar the toilet area to put it!! She was right, now I just carry a couple of lengths of expanding X hose, a watering can and a collapsible bucket. Strangely it's much better. Fill up on arrival if required, top up with hose or watering can depending on distance, when necessary, and empty bucket now and then. The one thing it does is make filling up more entertaining as I meet far more people and at the same time I'm exercising my wonky legs!! Oh, and it keeps Les happy too! :think:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks
Mimi
No is the simple answer, it was an option on our van when it was new. You can buy various DIY pumps that you just need to supply a 12volt supply for.

Martin
Our first van (Autoquest) had an external Hella socket and came with a submersible pump all ready wired up when we bought it at 2 years old. When the van was written off I kept the submersible pump and extended the cable so we can feed it through the kitchen window to a convenient socket to use in a similar way.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
TIP.....

Dont buy a 25ltr water container, cos they are heavy to carry and lift up to your filler !!!!!
10ltrs or a watering can is enough, as you walk back and forth between the van you get some exercise plus often can have a good chat with fellow campers... Cup of tea or even a beer if your very lucky :)

ps.. FOR SALE.. 1 x 25lts water container.. Used, not a lot.. :rofl::rofl:

polythene-liquid-storage-container-with-screw-cap-various-options--11465-p.jpg

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
At the risk of extending this into a lengthy grey waste thread again, I'd like to know what Bailey owners, and maybe others, do in this respect. The Al-Ko chassis is too low to get meaningful container underneath apart maybe the low point on a waste hog and that would only fill the bottom end, or rather the top end, so hardly meaningful. I cobble something together with a hose when on a Show field, it looks as those it's doing something but, in the words of one recently departed, "not a lot". At the last Peterborough show we attended I trailed the hose under @Jaws van. (y)

Upvote 0

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you CWH and all the others who contributed to the thread.
Mimi

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I know I may be slow and most of the questions have been answered here's how we do it when travelling anywhere start off with the water tank in your van at least three quarters full that's what the on board tanks are for.

Grey waste...water that has been used for washing etc at shows you can have one of the collapsable buckets put some holes in the bottom put some straw in it and let the grey water slowly drain through, at the end of the weekend just throw the straw away with any bits it's collected.

Black Waste... Toilet Waste should be disposed of at any of the Elsan waste points provided at the shows.

To top up just use a 4 litre Milk bottle now and then, done this for 10 years never had any problems. (y)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At the risk of extending this into a lengthy grey waste thread again, I'd like to know what Bailey owners, and maybe others, do in this respect. The Al-Ko chassis is too low to get meaningful container underneath apart maybe the low point on a waste hog and that would only fill the bottom end, or rather the top end, so hardly meaningful. I cobble something together with a hose when on a Show field, it looks as those it's doing something but, in the words of one recently departed, "not a lot". At the last Peterborough show we attended I trailed the hose under @Jaws van. (y)
We found a similar problem with our Burstner and I actually bought a Kampa Waste Away as the only one I could get to fit. Fiamma used to do a low profile grey waste container but they changed the design a few years ago and the current one is too tall. At the Detling show in 2014, though, there was a local company selling a wheeled container similar to, but lower than, the Fiamma so I bought one of those (don't know the brand offhand) and sold the Waste Away to a fellow Funster the same day.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just been out to the van to have a look at the grey waste tank I mentioned above. It's a Broken Link Removed, similar price to the Fiamma Roll Tank but slightly higher capacity and slightly lower in use making it easier to get under low vans.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back