tommy210254

Free Member
Apr 2, 2016
lancashire
Funster No
MH
freestyle
Exp
Only had our MH since December and apart from last week, when we had 4 nights near Edinburgh, have only done one-nights

Now, I have a key-anxiety problem, I am forever checking my pockets to make sure that I have not dropped them, so I had an idea...

would it be sensible to fit a digital key safe in a discrete place, in the gas cupboard for example, and leave keys in when we went off exploring? or is this inviting trouble?

thanks,

Tommy

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Welcome Tommy

I always have one set with me and the wife has the spare with her.

Cheers

Trevor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Only had our MH since December and apart from last week, when we had 4 nights near Edinburgh, have only done one-nights

Now, I have a key-anxiety problem, I am forever checking my pockets to make sure that I have not dropped them, so I had an idea...

would it be sensible to fit a digital key safe in a discrete place, in the gas cupboard for example, and leave keys in when we went off exploring? or is this inviting trouble?

thanks,

Tommy
We always carry a set each when we travel

Upvote 0

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I too have the same fears of loosing keys , I've solved this by wearing trousers that have zipped pockets and my wife carries a spare set .
Piece of mind .:sneaky:

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Keys, how I dislike them. I would always go for some sort of combination lock, so as to avoid keys but now that I can't see without glasses, I can't rely on a combination lock.

As most of my daytime hours are spent cycling, swimming, climbing or flying, I also face the lost key worry syndrome! Where I usually wild camp there is a bar/restaurant, the owner of which I have known for years, and there is a trust between us and other local wild campers and he has always been happy to 'hold' valuables for his customers. So keys, money and other valuables can be lodged in his safe for hours/days/weeks. It works well but it takes time to build that trust.

For the vehicle key I have a small leather pouch that I keep on a stout cord around my neck. The pouch is to protect myself from injury and makes it easy just to reach and feel that it is secure.

Not a perfect solution but a workable one and the best I've yet found for me and my requirements.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Magnetic Keep A Key hidden on the chassis is the way to go
old tried and tested(y)

Upvote 0

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
old tried and tested(y)
I used one of those in my old air cooled vow days but the modern keys are too big .

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And known by so many!

I also wonder how an insurance company view that system?

Where did you put yours on the bonnet :rolleyes:
If I gave you an Hr and told you back or front you wouldn't see it;)
As the keys got bigger so did the keep a keys, :doh:

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome Tommy

I always have one set with me and the wife has the spare with her.

Cheers

Trevor
We do the same as we once locked ourselves out as both keys were inside( a faulty door catch)! Once saw someone on site with her keys( van and toilet) on a very fetching Cath Kidston lanyard round her neck.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
old tried and tested(y)

I also have spare concealed externally. Very unlikely to be found by anyone and it gives me peace of mind.

Keith :cool:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
never trust a digital safe......as secure as a biscuit tin

get 2 spare hab door keys. one for you and one to hide, then lock the van keys in a secure key operated safe

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think I'd like to leave my keys anywhere in/on the vehicle ... if your van goes missing and your insurer asks for the keys you'd have to be a very good liar to not get sussed if you can't supply them! Not worth the risk IMV - why not get one of the key-chain things and attach it to a belt loop so that even if they drop out of your pocket they won't go anywhere?

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

thanks,
Where are you going to keep the key for the locker and safe? Bit like every decreasing circles!

Joe

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My plan is that I have one set SWMBO has the other, on our persons at all times.

What happens in reality is SWMBO says she has no pockets and doesn't want to lug a handbag everywhere so both sets end up in my trousers, along with whatever cash we're taking and at least one phone, no wonder I have to keep pulling them up.
Pants-Down-pants-butt-joke-smiley-emoticon-000585-huge.png

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
It's even more complicated with an alarm system, more to carry around!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My plan is that I have one set SWMBO has the other, on our persons at all times.

What happens in reality is SWMBO says she has no pockets and doesn't want to lug a handbag everywhere so both sets end up in my trousers, along with whatever cash we're taking and at least one phone, no wonder I have to keep pulling them up.
Simple answer - no, not to buy her a handbag, but get yourself a manbag!

$_57.JPG

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't think I'd like to leave my keys anywhere in/on the vehicle ... if your van goes missing and your insurer asks for the keys you'd have to be a very good liar to not get sussed if you can't supply them! Not worth the risk IMV - why not get one of the key-chain things and attach it to a belt loop so that even if they drop out of your pocket they won't go anywhere?
I always ensure I have 2 spare sets of keys for each vehicle ; In addition to the 2 complete sets that I always carry.:)

$_57.JPG
That's ok if you can remember that you are carrying something.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can't stand bulky stuff in my trouser pockets, I keep the main keys on a loop on my trousers with one of these, cheap as chips on ebay.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can't stand bulky stuff in my trouser pockets, I keep the main keys on a loop on my trousers with one of these, cheap as chips on ebay.

Just make sure it is working okay and is quite 'robust' as there are some which are very badly made so they come apart quite easily or the sliding clips fall off!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've ditched my handbag..... It always ends up full of old receipts and anything else I get given.... now I use a bum bag :) The keys go in the zipped pocket that is against my skin when wearing the bag.

I do have a back pack (never put anything valuable in there - too easy to be picked) useful for shopping. At some point I am going to make a set of cycle panniers that convert into a backpack where the openings are not accessible when the bag is on my back. I have the ideas but time is short.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've ditched my handbag..... It always ends up full of old receipts and anything else I get given.... now I use a bum bag :) The keys go in the zipped pocket that is against my skin when wearing the bag.

I do have a back pack (never put anything valuable in there - too easy to be picked) useful for shopping. At some point I am going to make a set of cycle panniers that convert into a backpack where the openings are not accessible when the bag is on my back. I have the ideas but time is short.
there is already a company that make pannier/ backpacks. put a set on the wife's bike 10-15 years ago when she was still cycling. very useful to do the shopping then clip to the bike for the ride back

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
there is already a company that make pannier/ backpacks. put a set on the wife's bike 10-15 years ago when she was still cycling. very useful to do the shopping then clip to the bike for the ride back

There are several that I have looked at but none are exactly what I want! I even bought one set but they came apart (faulty, inadequate seam allowance) after two uses and I got a refund so I want to make some :) I'll probably put a small box in the bases to stop the wear and rubbing which is where panniers usually go to holes.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

$_57.JPG

I have a bag, but I'm always a bit concerned about security. The bag I have is quite strong (military style canvas stuff) and has a shoulder strap, a waist strap and a thigh strap. All fine and secure as long as you don't want to sit down.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back