Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Well payed our sub's so Thank you to Old Mo for keeping us in the circle and passing on posts for us.

Looking at a 2001 Sprintshift 6 speed Auto with the Turbo Diesel, unsure of model number.
Has auto brake assist for driving off..?

So any views on this engine, gearbox and a Merc for good or bad points.

It was built in New Zealand by Munro.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Many people have had good experiences with the Sprintshift box - some of them members of Fun who will, I am sure, give you reports based on first-hand knowledge.
However, Mercedes only produced this semi-automatic gearbox for around 5 years I think, then discontinued it because there had been quite a few reliability problems with it. So long as you get a good one and check that it has a 'clean' history without recourse to dealers for fixing, I would say go ahead.
If it is an automatic that you want, as opposed to having just come across a van with Sprintshift, Mercedes also produced the 2000 - 2005 Sprinter with a 5-speed full auto box using the conventional torque converter. I have one of these.

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Thanks.
We are limited to what is up for sale as its in Australia/Tazmania.
We are off for a tour for 6 months so prefer to purchase something rather than hire which is dead money.
The one mentioned is at 38k. But all Motorhomes/Campers are high priced over there as its so difficult to get one in.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We had 2003 PVC based on a 316 Sprinter which had sprintshift [and the auto assist brake ] .
We had it for ten years , did over 100,000 miles and found it a pleasure to drive...completely problem free mechanically.
The only extra thing I did was to have the gearbox oil changed more regularly than the service manual suggests...but that's me!

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Have had two of these and touch wood trouble free. I actually prefer this to the 5 speed full automatic, although having said that it was on the heavier chassis, so consequently felt it was underpowered. This resulted in lower overall gearing and the box changing more frequently.

One thing I would say, is if you have any apparent gearbox related problems, do go to a MB main dealer with Star diagnostics, because a number of engine related problems do give the impression of gearbox faults.

For instance I had a sensor fail on the turbo side which resulted in the gearbox not changing automatically.

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I had a 2001 Mercedes ambulance with Sprintshift, 390.000 miles later it was still driving perfectly with no issues to report in its whole service life. They replaced it with a VW LT (not a Crafter) & what a crock of s..t it was. It was worn out by 120.000 miles & was very unpleasant to drive.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tazmania eh Brian
Visitin Family I presume

Attachments

• Taz-Looney_Tunes.svg.png
    Taz-Looney_Tunes.svg.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 7

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
After having a 310D race van for 8 years I agonised over buying ours (2004 316 Sprintshift) because of some bad reports & I have always hated auto's, but after speaking to some who had driven them one of whom had 3 & would still have one if they still made them, I bit the bullet, I was wary as it had only done 11000 miles (low miles woes) we added 7000+ last year, I really like it & I tow a large trailer, Guess what its never used in manual Iv turned into a old man :D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Drove several as "Vans" on Agency. They where more comfortable to drive than my Current Ducato. Even a couple of full "sprintshift" auto`s. Never heard of there being issues.

Pete

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have just searched a MB owners forum and, for the technically minded, found a link to a service training manual for the Sprintshift box. It is branded VW as the same box was fitted to Crafters (built in the same factory as Sprinters). It explains in detail how the box works.
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_372.pdf

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Thanks all
The one we are chasing has 288k on the clock, Kilometers which for Australia is not too bad for the year as seen a lot higher.

Will have a read of the Tech stuff kindly posted but seems no issues.

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Update with some info.
The Merc was a Hire veh until 8 years where the current owner has had it, Fitted solar and a diesel heater. Has had it serviced every 10k Killometers and has done 100k since they have had it.

Family member is Taz has had a look and a chat and he seems to think the owner and son in law are legit as they both had same answers for questions asked.
It is being sold as the owners wife has passed away and was crippled with arthritus so has a electric step/lift which could be handy for myself when drunk.
It has had new discs ect about 6 year ago, but 5 year ago it developed a tick over miss which they were told is a injector problem (costly) but after speaking with others was to put fuel additive each time the tank is filled, and it has cleared the problem.!
Family says condition is good for a 15 year old veh and is a bit dated, buy as long as all works for us its only for a 6 month trip.

So thinking about it and will then decide what to offer, and also get a mechanicll and data check on the veh by a third part.

So, we could be owners of a EuroBox...Em TazBox.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
They are brilliant..... Until they go wrong! Then the important thing is to find someone who knows what they are doing, this is often not the Mercedes dealer, spent 000's on mine till a commercial truck repairer found the problem, which was the hydraulic pump on the gearbox, £1k to fix, the sprinshift is a manual gearbox with a hydraulic her change. It was a joy to drive. Now have the fully auto box on a newer Erc which is better in my opinion!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back