FullTiming - Is it cheap? What Does It Cost? (1 Viewer)

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
Thank you for all your help on my other full timing thread. I need more help, I am trying to work out budgets but have no idea what it actually costs. I have looked at a couple of threads here but some are old, and I know prices of fuel and site fees always go up and not down. if members could be kind enough to let me know what sort of costs I might expect to live here in the summer and say Spain or Portugal in the winter.

Is there a minimum booking time to get good site rates. How much should I budget for here and abroad. I know that this is a difficult question as I could live as cheaply or as expensively as I like but I would be very interested if you could give me the benefit of your experience. What does it cost and is it really as cheap as I imagine it is. Just the saving in Council tax makes me smile widely.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi FullTimeDreamer. The old saying 'How long is a piece of string?'. Everyone has different lifestyles. We for instance have been living on less than £8,000 a year. One we know has said he has calculated £20,000 a year. :Eeek:

We have been on Camping Almafra, Benidorm, Spain for the last 3 years. First 12 months 4,800 Euros, second 5,300 Euros, third 2,800 plus 175 for storage, due to politics. We spend on average 30 Euros a week on shopping and spend around a £100 on stocking up before leaving the UK. We have mainly used our Mountain bikes to get around (cheap transport) and our commuter occasionally for visiting. We now have a Tow car (Toad) so we will probably spend a little more on petrol than previously. :winky:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
This so depends on your lifestyle if you eat out everynight with a bottle of wine the answer is it costs a fortune - if its a bit of cheese an apple and a fresh loaf then very cheaply - there are serious savings to be made if you change your life style - the main thing surely is to get the freedom and to live at level that you are comfortable with - my costs are fairly high because I do a lot of mileage at the moment but I always try and use the CL's and CS's - they are generally cheaper and friendlier - when abroad we try and book in on a big site somewhere for a couple of days while we search out smaller cheaper places to stay.

I know of one couple that book on year on year at the same sites for 3 months at a time going from one to another until they get back to where they started . Its really down to what you are looking for - me I love touring after a week or so I am bored

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you want to try wild camping/parking then you stand to save about £10 to £20 a night, this goes a long way to making things work if you are close to your max budget.

Doug...

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
HI WE HAVE A BUDGET OF £1000 /MONTH WHICH EASILY PAYS FOR EVERYTHING OVER THAT PERIOD . We BOTH SMOKE,DRINK ETC IN GENERAL HAVE MORE THAN SUFFICIENT ,HAVE CUT THE BUDGET ON OCCASIONS TO £600 ALLOWING FOR KNOWN EXPENSES COMING THRO EG SERVICING. THE AMOUNT COVERS EVERYTHING CAMPSITE FEES ETC. ,SOME FRIENDS CAN MANAGE ON FAR LESS THAN THIS . WINTERTIME I COULD QUOTE YOU EXCELLENT CAMPSITES AT ABOUT 300 EURO/MONTH ON THE COSTA BRAVA , 375 EURO IN BRITTANY IN SUMMERTIME , £70/WEEK IN UK FOR A REASONABLE PRIVATE SITE. OTHERS MAY QUOTE FAR DIFFERENT FIGURES BUT THIS IS WHAT I HAVE ACTUALLY DONE OVER THE LAST 6-7 YEARS AND LIVE FAR FAR BETTER THAN I DID WHEN WORKING WITH HOUSE,MORTGAGE,BILLS ETC. Alan

OP
OP
F

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for your help. I know it was a hard question but your answers have been very helpful and enlightening.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
HI WE HAVE A BUDGET OF £1000 /MONTH WHICH EASILY PAYS FOR EVERYTHING OVER THAT PERIOD . We BOTH SMOKE,DRINK ETC IN GENERAL HAVE MORE THAN SUFFICIENT. THE AMOUNT COVERS EVERYTHING CAMPSITE FEES ETC.
Not a bad figure if thats for two people?

My general expenses over a five week tour came to £1,450 which excluded fuel but included campsite fees, and most days i dined out.....it was a holiday after all!! :Smile:

As you mention you can reduce your top end figure. Similarly i could have done the same had i wild camped more, cooked my own meals, and spent less on 'touristy stuff'!

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Not a bad figure if thats for two people?

My general expenses over a five week tour came to £1,450 which excluded fuel but included campsite fees, and most days i dined out.....it was a holiday after all!! :Smile:

As you mention you can reduce your top end figure. Similarly i could have done the same had i wild camped more, cooked my own meals, and spent less on 'touristy stuff'!

:Eeek: This is the cost of our 3 months tour of the USA for 2 people:-

Tour Cost £ 1250
Living £ 1000

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
That low! Did you dine exclusively on "road kill" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
what planet do you eat on Jim, we spend less than £300 a month to feed the two of us. Do we look as though we are starving. Different lifestyles I guess

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we usually work on a budget of 3/3500 quid for ferries fuel food etc on a 6mth tour 6wk spain 3mth maroc 6wk spain /portugal trip. it was abit more last year add a grand more . that was due to the falling pound. wild camp dont eat out drink lots cheap spanish wine. that does include bringing a few litres home and 400ltr of diesel just to put us on the way.dont buy any tourist rubbish but have a great time n meet lots of great people n see great places. shop on markets n be carefull what you buy. cheers alan.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
what planet do you eat on Jim, we spend less than £300 a month to feed the two of us. Do we look as though we are starving. Different lifestyles I guess

Its been so long since it was just two of us, so I've no idea, I'm sure 300 would not be enough. My dog must costs me almost £50 a month::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sure I've eaten worse::bigsmile: I lived in Hong Kong for a couple of years and my Chinese friends were often getting me the "gweilo" (foreign devil) to try dodgy looking food whilst they sniggered::bigsmile:

Hey there Jim have you heard about the Korean Meatballs ? They are the dog's bollocks !! Dine on baby !!!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
.......Just the saving in Council tax makes me smile widely.

Me too. but in Scotland the house has to be empty and completely unfurnished to reduce the tax to zero - and then it's only free for 6 months. Dunno what happens after that.
Bastids!

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Put it this way..............my bills for the flat I had was £885 a month (not inc food n clothes n stuff)
I now pay £240 a month on a beautiful site all inclusive (ie: internet (WAP) electric, showers, washin up station)

And I now have a deteched premises (the motorhome) which I can move to as many views as I want :thumb:

Full timing is deffo for me...................I love it ::bigsmile:

Boo

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
That low! Did you dine exclusively on "road kill" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:Cool: No we shopped at Walmart. The road kill didn't look too appetising:-

DeathValley008.jpg

AlienHighway011.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Mmmm nothing wrong with calf:winky:!!! not interested in dog, coyote, dingo, or whatever it is:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back