Burstner Import (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Almost exactly 6 months after our order we are picking up our new Burstner from Palmowski in Germany in 10 days time. It's very exciting times but as has been mentioned before when you drive the MH home you are on German export plates which provide third party insurance only whilst on the European leg of the journey.

I know some question whether it's worth paying the extra but I would prefer it if possible as long as the cost is not extortionate.

I thought I had arranged this cover as part of my UK comprehensive policy but they have changed their mind. I have tried all the options that I have found on the net and I am just left waiting for a reply from Alessie.com in Holland.

Has anybody else had success arranging this cover and if so who?

Thanks.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Most dont bother...its a short hop to calas, just use your head. Don't drive at night, be extra vigilant. Don't drive during rush hour keep your distance and you will be fine...have done it many times. We even turn the return into a short mini break having a few overnights :)

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
You are probably right Eddie, but if it is possible and the premium is not too bad it would be a nice to have. I have "saved" circa £15,000 with the import so a few hundred euros on this insurance will hardly be a disaster!

I will update the thread when I get an answer from Holland.

Actually one extra question. I am talking to Fiat Professional about the few changes required to make it conform to UK spec. Does anybody know if it really does need new RHD Headlights or can you adjust the bulbs on the headlights it comes with?

Thanks
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Actually one extra question. I am talking to Fiat Professional about the few changes required to make it conform to UK spec. Does anybody know if it really does need new RHD Headlights or can you adjust the bulbs on the headlights it comes with?

Thanks
Andy[/QUOTE]

If it's an A Class, you may be able to adjust the headlights, but if it's coach built, you'll need new RHD headlights.

As far as the insurance is concerned, I'm with the Judge. Drive carefully, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip - and your new van!

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I took out cover last month for my N&B Arto coming back from Strasbourg France, but it is ridiculously expensive. Like you I thought the savings I was making on the import meant I wasn't so concerned about the cost and I was looking at the worst case scenario of total loss of around £90000. I took a very large excess to reduce the premium by about 50% but still expensive.
After extensive research I could only find one company prepared to offer it, Price Forbes and this is the underwriters email if you want to contact them.
mollywilson@priceforbes.com
Andy...

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for your reply bellabee, it is a C Class so I will change the headlights keeping the originals.

Thanks also ANDY400R, I have already been in touch with Molly at Price Forbes and unfortunately they are currently out of the market whilst renegotiating their facility with the provider they use.

I had similar concerns about cost after speaking to Maria Alessie in Holland. I am anticipating an offer of cover but maybe at a cost that I will find it hard to justify paying, but you raise an excellent point about increasing the excess.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Andy situation a bit different I believe ? As more complicated as using in France they don't offer the 3 party export insurance option as in Germany. Should have bought in Belgium if nervous as dealers happy to drive vans to port. Any dealer will do like wise for a fee. Last German quote I got for someone was 400 euro.

As for changes cheaper to get it done in Germany by dealer..why best to use one exprienced in exporting. Makes it quicker when you get home for registration as well. ..loads of old threads covering this....

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Most dont bother...its a short hop to calas, just use your head. Don't drive at night, be extra vigilant. Don't drive during rush hour keep your distance and you will be fine...have done it many times. We even turn the return into a short mini break having a few overnights :)

I take it this is an April fool ?
If being vigilant was enough why not be vigilant in the UK and only insure your MH 3rd party here ?
Bad advise
Awaits smartarse but ultimately ludicrous reaction .............................

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thanks for your reply bellabee, it is a C Class so I will change the headlights keeping the originals.

Borrow some headlights, my friend bought his Westphalia and he had to change his so he bought some then changed them back afterwards to go abroad with it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I take it this is an April fool ?
If being vigilant was enough why not be vigilant in the UK and only insure your MH 3rd party here ?
Bad advise
Awaits smartarse but ultimately ludicrous reaction .............................

Thousands ae imported this way yearly all over europe:rolleyes: as for your rudeness I couldn't give a toss. I have imported 19 vehicles this way for over 25 years and every one else I know likewise. I already explain that dealer will deliver if your a nervous WOS so your insults unnessesary.....

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Rudeness and insults ? We are a sensitive soul today aren't we ! :D

Just because you and your mates have been lucky don't mean it's right. , get your hand in your pocket and insure the motorhome .......PROPERLY. (y)

P.S Its WUSS btw ! :cool:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Just because you and your mates have been lucky don't mean it's right. , get your hand in your pocket and insure the motorhome .......PROPERLY. (y)

Out of interest how many vehicles have you imported from the EU? Share your knowledge of insurance companies willing to insure on a VIN that you must use based on your assertions?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Almost exactly 6 months after our order we are picking up our new Burstner from Palmowski in Germany in 10 days time. It's very exciting times but as has been mentioned before when you drive the MH home you are on German export plates which provide third party insurance only whilst on the European leg of the journey.

I know some question whether it's worth paying the extra but I would prefer it if possible as long as the cost is not extortionate.

I thought I had arranged this cover as part of my UK comprehensive policy but they have changed their mind. I have tried all the options that I have found on the net and I am just left waiting for a reply from Alessie.com in Holland.

Has anybody else had success arranging this cover and if so who?

Thanks.
You can try NFU at Louth, they insured me on a VIN fully comp from the day I paid the invoice, but I understand that they are not offering this to new clients. maybe a sweetener of offering other insurance like home other cars etc may sway them?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Your the one with attiude..... i made general coments anout the type ypu represent wiyh your lack of knowledge..

Waste of space.....wos thanks + making fun of spelling is a ban I believe

Stick with the little you know eh? Why someone who drives a brit van even bothered to come in to this is beyond me...helpful? I think not

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Out of interest how many vehicles have you imported from the EU? Share your knowledge of insurance companies willing to insure on a VIN that you must use based on your assertions?

None but when I do I ( Burstner Argos is on my wish list ) I will make damn sure I don't trust to luck when I drive it home and believe me I will find a way of fully insuring the vehicle. Research and the willingness to spend a couple of quid should do it (y)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Your the one with attiude..... i made general coments anout the type ypu represent wiyh your lack of knowledge..

Waste of space.....wos thanks + making fun of spelling is a ban I believe

Stick with the little you know eh? Why someone who drives a brit van even bothered to come in to this is beyond me...helpful? I think not

Chill man , chill :D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
None but when I do I ( Burstner Argos is on my wish list ) I will make damn sure I don't trust to luck when I drive it home and believe me I will find a way of fully insuring the vehicle. Research and the willingness to spend a couple of quid should do it (y)
You don't have to.....dealer will deliver as already explained 3 times:rolleyes:. Do you want to get back into bed and get out the otherside perhaps? I happen to know a very experienced burstner dealer 4 hrs from Calais that does all the changes at cost price:censored:

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just the 2 Quid, that will be interesting. Getting Fully Comp on a VIN only is very very difficult, however one has to admire your naive confidence, I am sure your comments in this thread will illicit loads of help when and IF you ever get round to importing.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
You don't have to dealer will deliver as already explained 3 times. Do you want to get back into bed and get out the otherside perhaps? I happen to know a very experienced burner dealer 4 hrs from Calais that does all the changes at cost price:censored:

I'll take you up on that nearer the time , cheers , re the Burstner dealer .

TBH I've not even got out of bed yet ! :D

OP
OP
S
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
There is a small market for arranging your UK comprehensive insurance on the VIN number only. I am obtaining AXA cover via Scenic Insurance (part of Swinton) and Adrian Flux quoted as well.

Palmowski were keen to conduct a formal hand over of the vehicle at their premises, I believe also they will arrange for us to stay locally for a couple of nights to make sure all is well and working in the vehicle. But they will deliver the Van to Calais if I really wanted. They quoted 1000 euro for transport on the back of a lorry or 650 euro if they use a driver.

At the time this looked very expensive, but on reflection we could consider using the driver to take us back to Calais in our own van for 650 euro after a few days if the insurance comes out at more than that.

I can appreciate both points of view as to the "risk" of driving your newly purchased vehicle for about 7 hours to Calais, third party only. Personally I would prefer the peace of mind and as I said before you can justify the cost after saving so much money by buying it in Europe.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There is a small market for arranging your UK comprehensive insurance on the VIN number only. I am obtaining AXA cover via Scenic Insurance (part of Swinton) and Adrian Flux quoted as well.

Palmowski were keen to conduct a formal hand over of the vehicle at their premises, I believe also they will arrange for us to stay locally for a couple of nights to make sure all is well and working in the vehicle. But they will deliver the Van to Calais if I really wanted. They quoted 1000 euro for transport on the back of a lorry or 650 euro if they use a driver.

At the time this looked very expensive, but on reflection we could consider using the driver to take us back to Calais in our own van for 650 euro after a few days if the insurance comes out at more than that.

I can appreciate both points of view as to the "risk" of driving your newly purchased vehicle for about 7 hours to Calais, third party only. Personally I would prefer the peace of mind and as I said before you can justify the cost after saving so much money by buying it in Europe.

whatever suits you.....650 does sound a bit expensive. but they are in the north about 5 hrs drive from Calais. I would get some trade transport quotes from a broker

I got some quotes recently from Shipley for a car I was considering buying from Dorset. best quotes were £160 on a flatbed approx 3 hr drive to London

https://www.shiply.com/vehicle-delivery/

Last edited:

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Go figure....And pigs will fly![/QUOT

Agree wholeheartedly, I personally cannot put a price on peace of mind . Thanks for the info , much appreciated

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Driving a new motorhome third party only is a bit like smoking you could be lucky and get away with it or it could end in tears. I don't know how many uninsured drivers there are on the continent but no matter how careful you are the screen could get cracked either way it would end in tears . The argument I did it before and got away with it is the same one people used to use to justify drink driving you could get away with it 999 times out of 1000 but the unlucky one would be a big downer!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I insure mine properly,unfortunately they don't offer Full comp over a certain age.
You are fortunate in the UK that they will offer full comp. Once the vehicle gets over a certain age here they refuse to offer full comp. The only way to actually get it & maintain it would be being under the 10 year limit or having it insured with them from new.

Anyway insurance is for the unexpected act of God & should never be looked upon as a payout for being stupid . As I've always said insurance costs would fall & the standard of driving would improve, if they only offered road traffic acts & you were required to claim your own costs from the guilty party or foot your own repair bill.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

Thanks
Andy

If it's an A Class, you may be able to adjust the headlights, but if it's coach built, you'll need new RHD headlights.

As far as the insurance is concerned, I'm with the Judge. Drive carefully, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip - and your new van![/QUOTE]
you can adjust the hea

Thanks
Andy

Enjoy your trip - and your new van![/QUOTE]
check out the drawing in this thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rapido-headlights.126654/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back