First trip to Europe (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We depart on Saturday morning for our first European trip in Buster...

We land at Calais and then travel down to Amiens for a couple of nights, then onto Versailles for a couple of nights and then onto Seraucourt Le Grand for the final 2 nights.

Really looking forward to our first France experience......

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
:france:Bon Voyage, am sure you will enjoy we are also due to go in a couple of weeks, will be our first French as well. Never know might bump into you!!! Enjoy

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a great time both of you, we'll be along late June so donk drink all the wine or I will set Mrs B on you. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks all...

Can't wait to toddle around and sample as many things as possible...:)

Have driven on the continent before but in LHD hire cars, so slightly nervous about a 7m RHD Motorhome. But hey ho... Got a great little sticker from Halfords for my windscreen - it shows which way to turn when approaching a roundabout on the continent....

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
:france::wine::clap2:

Enjoy. We've been travelling to France for over 20 years and never tire of it

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You will love the driving almost as much as the lifestyle over there. The country is perfect for motorhoming and they actually seem to appreciate us - which is more than can be said for here. Just watch out for their speed limits, particularly in the villages, and relax. You will be king of th road.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
bet you are excited. I was just about to post a similar thread as we are setting off on tuesday for our first European trip. Cant wait and getting all giddy now :)

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Well we are just over 2 weeks into our first ever European trip in France and it is brilliant. Currently snug as a bug in a rug at 1500 meters in the French alps.

Don't worry too much about the driving, I use the mental link of kerb next to steering wheel and not had any problem - you will soon get used to it. Just take it easy and enjoy it!

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you are visiting Seracourt-le-Grand there is a well kept, small War cemetery there that is worth a visit.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Got a great little sticker from Halfords for my windscreen - it shows which way to turn when approaching a roundabout on the continent....
Bit late to mention it now, but for the benefit of others, click here for Jim's home grown solution. I can confirm that it works very well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Well we survived our first overseas trip to France. Fantastic!

What did we learn:-
- French roads are brilliant..long, open and quiet.
- driving a RHD motorhome is a doddle, much easier to hug the curb or see proximity to parked cars.
- Aires are great..
- Fresh baguettes, croissants and pain aux chocolate every day are heavenly
- Isn't wine cheap!
- the Beauty Terrorist coped with a ferry ( with some help from travel sickness tablets..)
- My French dictionary didn't cope with many of the French menu's - but gave me lots of surprises!

We loved it and had a great time. Now planning the next trip...

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2016
Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach SE760
Exp
Since 2015
Hi jdk62
Just joined this site and apart from a quick thank you to Jim, you are my first contact.
I'm planning my first trip to France, first two weeks in September.
Will be crossing Dover to Calais, but there on not planned yet.
Would be most appreciative of any advice and suggestions you could offer.
Kindest Regards
Nett

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Well we survived our first overseas trip to France. Fantastic!

What did we learn:-
- French roads are brilliant..long, open and quiet.
- driving a RHD motorhome is a doddle, much easier to hug the curb or see proximity to parked cars.
- Aires are great..
- Fresh baguettes, croissants and pain aux chocolate every day are heavenly
- Isn't wine cheap!
- the Beauty Terrorist coped with a ferry ( with some help from travel sickness tablets..)
- My French dictionary didn't cope with many of the French menu's - but gave me lots of surprises!

We loved it and had a great time. Now planning the next trip...
:smiley: So pleased that you enjoyed your trip :smiley: Just the post I needed to read before we set off on Sunday for France :smiley: Cos I'm just going through the 'what if the sky falls in' scenarios. I over think everything, so Thankyou :smiley: After reading your post I've given myself a good talking to and will look forward to good roads, lovely food and cheap wine :smiley:

Mrs Spritely
:smiley:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hi jdk62
Just joined this site and apart from a quick thank you to Jim, you are my first contact.
Kindest Regards
Nett
Hi Nett
There are many others on this site with lots of experience of motorhoming in France, but my advice would be to enjoy it and do not worry. We set our sat nav to kilometres with speed limits shown - that helped. We stayed off motorways and toll roads and saw so much using the D roads...they are brilliant. we stayed 2 nights at Amiens, 3 nights at Versailles (great for the Palace of Versailles but also 20 mins by train into Paris) and finally 2 nights near St Quentin. Typically about 3-3.5 hours driving per day, but we also went to Chantilly en route from Versailles to St Quentin and tackled the peripheque in Paris...

Don't rush, take your time and go with the flow - you will love it.

Happy travels

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
:smiley: So pleased that you enjoyed your trip :smiley: Just the post I needed to read before we set off on Sunday for France :smiley: Cos I'm just going through the 'what if the sky falls in' scenarios. I over think everything, so Thankyou :smiley: After reading your post I've given myself a good talking to and will look forward to good roads, lovely food and cheap wine :smiley:

Mrs Spritely
:smiley:
I am sure you will have a great time. Don't rush and just enjoy. The Beauty Terrorist was nervous before hand but she had a great time and loved to open roads..

Upvote 0

PhilPepz

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T-Line 590
Exp
Since 2012
Also off on our first France tour on April 24th. We are on the Poole to Cherbourg crossing and apart from the ferry booking and meeting friends in Figeac we are "going with the flow". We both want to see the D-Day museums so Saint Mere-Eglise, Utah Beach and Arromanche are on the "to-do list". I have the ACIS and the Aires books so really looking forward to the trip.

Phil & Patsy

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi jdk62
Kindest Regards
Nett
We will be going to France all being well in September , if you want to tag along for the first day or two, you are very welcome(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2016
Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach SE760
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all
Thank you so much for your kind responses, your advice is much appreciated.
And Chaser, thank you for the offer to tag along, may very well be interested in doing that for a couple of days. We don't have any firm dates yet and we're very flexible anyway.
Do let me know if you decide to go.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all
And Chaser, thank you for the offer to tag along, may very well be interested in doing that for a couple of days. We don't have any firm dates yet and we're very flexible anyway.
We are off to France 3rd may, tunnel booked, hope to get to Carcassonne for a fortnight, but hope to be going in September for a month or five weeks going towards Venice, but could end up anywhere:)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all
We go two or three times every year so probably more dates yet(y)

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all
Hello Nett and welcome:WelcomeFlag:We love travelling in France and find the roads out of towns great to travel on . We have not or never will do Paris but have used ring roads round big cities. But we prefer to meander about doing shorter distances and stopping when we see something of interest and somewhere to stay. Enjoy your trip and Bon Voyage!

Upvote 0

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Also off on our first France tour on April 24th. We are on the Poole to Cherbourg crossing and apart from the ferry booking and meeting friends in Figeac we are "going with the flow". We both want to see the D-Day museums so Saint Mere-Eglise, Utah Beach and Arromanche are on the "to-do list". I have the ACIS and the Aires books so really looking forward to the trip.

Phil & Patsy
If you can try and visit the British Airborne museum at Pegasus Bridge, it's the best of the lot IMO. How the heck they managed to land that glider (you'll see one) right beside the bridge in the middle of the night, and recover from what must have been an horrendously rough landing to capture the bridge intact, and then hold it against powerful German armoured forces the next day, has to be one of the most amazing feat of arms I've ever seen, and Private Ryan nowhere in sight!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back