Tick removers - cheap and ideal for you and dogs! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
$_57.JPG

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Got 2 ticks off one of our pet-sitting dogs last September - used one of these (which we happen to carry because of our frequent forays into Scotland) and it was so simple to get the little biters out.
Essential kit IMV.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats for the soft Southern variety
the Northern tick removers are here

monuement_pry_bar_opt.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or from the uk at Ā£1.49

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I always used sheep dip for my gundogs' and ferrets . That way no infection arising from just removing tick body and leaving head to decompose in the skin .

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I always used sheep dip for my gundogs' and ferrets . That way no infection arising from just removing tick body and leaving head to decompose in the skin .
If you use the tick removers correctly (twist either way!) you shouldn't leave anything in but as a precaution you could put some antiseptic cream/spray on ... I don't think I'd like to use sheep dip on mine! o_O

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Touch them with a lit cigarette, they drop off! In the late 60s and early 70s we used an Aerosol specially for them and Leeches, when they dropped off, the spray acted as an antiseptic on the wound

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use advantix on the dogs. Megs coat is so impenetrable I worry we could miss a tick. Have tick removers just in case though.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've had to removed ticks quite a few times on our dogs, mainly from our little Lily which is unfortunate as she reacts badly to them ... we nearly lost her once and she had to go on drips etc to pull her through! :eek:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We've had to removed ticks quite a few times on our dogs, mainly from our little Lily which is unfortunate as she reacts badly to them ... we nearly lost her once and she had to go on drips etc to pull her through! :eek:
Ticks are so much more dangerous than people realise and I believe that this year may be the rude awakening for many pet owners .. A flea /tick collar or similar is of paramount importance as it will help repel ticks and other biting insects . Roy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I once saw a video clip showing a way to safely remove a tick if you are out without the fork thingie, put your finger lightly on the usually already inflated body, turn finger slowly keeping in contact with tick body like you are drawing a very small circle with your finger. It has worked several times for me, the tick apparently gets giddy and retracts itself :)(y)

Cant for the life of me find the video now, but TBH even if I could I couldn't copy it on to here o_O

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ticks are so much more dangerous than people realise and I believe that this year may be the rude awakening for many pet owners .. A flea /tick collar or similar is of paramount importance as it will help repel ticks and other biting insects . Roy
Agree Roy, we use Advantix which we buy as soon as we land in France from a local vet as it's very expensive here, nothing else is so effective nowadays as this particular product, even our own vet has told us that. We also use flea collars too for good measure but only put them on the dogs when they go out, rather than leave them on all the time, as we have to cut the collars down to size the bits we cut off are placed on the floor near the dog beds etc to hopefully deter any 'stowaways'!

We've twice now had to have Lily to vets for tick problems but the first time it was by far the most worrying and very frightening ... the vet didn't think she'd pull through ... she's a strong little b*gger fortunately! The second time she wasn't well but nothing like the first time and since then, although she's had an odd tick on her, she hasn't reacted.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Used the other type on our Zippy and couldn't get the little blighter off, borrowed the TickTwister from neighbours twice and out in seconds, it does say to twist anti-clockwise. Will be buying when we are back in UK.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Removed the first tick of the year from Charlie this evening using a plastic fork thingie. It worked well and the tick came out in one bit and still waving it's legs about.

We've just got some Advantix ready for our next trip but the instructions say it is only effective against ticks for 14 days but it is given every 28 days. But after today's tick I'll start treating him from tomorrow.

I think we will also get a tick collar as well as that should give protection continuously. The Scalibor one seems well reviewed but it has to be worn continuously as full protection is only achieved after two or three weeks wear.
http://www.mypet.com/scalibor/what-is-scalibor.aspx

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We live in a rural area of Scotland, there are sheep and lambs in the field behind us, ticks are a common problem. Have used an O'Tom tick remover for years, carry them in the first aid kit in the van.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ours has a scalibor collar on as an added protection. So far no ticks.. 2 yrs ago was the last tick he got. (Thanks Scotland)

Reactions: DBK
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Thanks Minxy for the link I'll order a few pairs to go in each vehicle (y)

Our vet recommended a Seresto flea & tick collar apparently it gives protection for
8 months.

Our Charlie has more medication than me & Diane put together :(

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not heard of the Seresto one before:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
That's the one not sure how much we paid as we bought it from the vet
But he highly recommended it,

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
God the only animal I have known to get ticks - is yours truly!

On a campsite in southern France, being lazy one evening so decided to cut across the 'lawn' they hadn't mowed, wasn't being used for camping, sat on the loo and thought - what's that black thing on my inner thigh? - then OMG I hope it isn't a tick!

Walked 'legs akimbo back to the tent, Pete takes one look at it and suggests lighting a fag, I said Sod off - it's only been in there 3 minutes - just TRY gently with my tweezers, first, please! It worked, and I didn't stop shuddering for years by which time we were in Australia with my sis, and they were showing us all sorts of luvverly places. One day I said to Pete, what's this on side of the back of my neck just under my hairline? - Just a spot. That's odd, doesn't fell like a spot .... couple of days later say to my niece, ere, you've got better eyesight than us old farts, Just a spot Jenny! she tells me. About a week later, just woken up, had my scratch and yawn whilst sitting on the loo, just normal LOL - spot has gone HARD. What???? Pe-ete - have I knocked the top off that spot - has it bled and gone hard? No he says. And immediately commenced squeezing either side of it with his thumbs - I was about to scream in agony, turn and smack him in the face, you know, as you do LOL - when he stopped. The bloody thing had buried itself, he got the whole lot out (together with some of me, I reckon) and there it was, squished on his nails with MY blood all over them. He said - You'd never BELIEVE how FAT that was!

Thanks luv ......... so nice sharing my life with someone so sympathetic ........

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We've just got some Advantix ready for our next trip but the instructions say it is only effective against ticks for 14 days but it is given every 28 days.

Just read the instructions again (I really shouldn't trust my memory:)) and it is a certain species of sand fly for which the protection only lasts 2 weeks. For ticks the cover is 4 weeks. Sorry for my misleading info. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back