gear box rebuld (2 Viewers)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am abut to enbark on a gear box rebuld.
i have a doner gear box for the parts never done anything with gear box exept changed over knakerd on for a replacement one
So this will be a bit more indepth we nead the MH so we can viset the we mans mum as B B is turning out expensive.
And return trip back home are not practical after a days work
getting up erly the next mornig works beter for us
so I think this one will test my mechanical knowledge to the max
I have thurs fri of work night shift Saturday Sunday off.
So tight for time think a few long days ahed
Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good luck bill, not a job to be taken lightly.

Hope you have a dial gauge and micrometer for the end play shims and spacers or it WILL whine

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Good luck bill, not a job to be taken lightly.

Hope you have a dial gauge and micrometer for the end play shims and spacers or it WILL whine
I have micromitor and nead to get dial geuge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I never could work out how gear boxes worked Bill, even the old one on my Rudge.
Take care
Mike and Sandra

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You could use quality feeler gauges but a dial gauge is much more accurate.

As I said, if the end play is wrong or sloppy it will whine.

There's always sawdust though :LOL:
I do have a digital calipers good qwality feler guges and shim set will mesur and micromitor druring strip down taking piks and notes as l go
Thanks for the input john

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I never could work out how gear boxes worked Bill, even the old one on my Rudge.
Take care
Mike and Sandra
Worst case sinario I send it off to get fixed best case I only nead too split the diff and chang bell husing but wont know till I get it it out.
Nothing is ever easay with the bich but i will beet it sum how .
Looking forward to the challenge.
It has a grate engine
Just keeping the dreem alive
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a doner box @papajohn but bell housing is wrong it came of talbut but gear box bit looks very simler

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Broken selector fork or maybe the pin holding it to the selector shaft has sheared off or, more unlikely, worked it way out.
With any luck you might not have to remove the actual input, output and idler shafts providing the selector shaft is under the removable cover and not behind the gear shafts.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Broken selector fork or maybe the pin holding it to the selector shaft has sheared off or, more unlikely, worked it way out.
With any luck you might not have to remove the actual input, output and idler shafts providing the selector shaft is under the removable cover and not behind the gear shafts.
I will have a look before tarring it apart maybe not to terminal thanks john

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was thinking, if you have a donor box it may be just a case of swapping over the bell housing. as i recall the gearbox on all vans that age was the same, just bell housing differs

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I have a doner box @papajohn but bell housing is wrong it came of talbut but gear box bit looks very simler
What gearbox is it you are after?

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i was thinking, if you have a donor box it may be just a case of swapping over the bell housing. as i recall the gearbox on all vans that age was the same, just bell housing differs
Yes after inital inspectton a bellhousing swap might be the way ahead not going to rush into it lots of coffe and looking to start with you know how is

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Good luck hope it is not as bad as u think

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bit of a turn up this mornig wife has fund a manual for talbut j 5 it was in the cubord under the staers she came acros it this morning we had forgoten we hed it disel and petrole result dont know wether to kiss her or kill her I thaught it had gone years ago with our old van bit of reding to do me thinks

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Fiat 2.5T D 5 speed my doner box is off a talbut bell husing wrong but gear box is the same and diff
bill

Oh, pity. I've got one in my shed, but that is a Talbot one too.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Whilst I admire your attempt at a re build I have to ask the question have you tried and tested the doner box
Have you the know how to identify worn but still serviceable as opposed to worn beyond use.
most fully skilled mechanics have not got that skill
should hate to see you waste time and money on Gaskets seals bearings etc only for it to be unsatisfactory
as an example our local gearbox man would charge about £150-£200 plus parts to make a good one out of two OR £50 to tell you parts wont interchange or its all scarp!! so even we leave such tasks to those that know best
Bell housing swop and fit box complete would be my advice, go any deeper and you might need a gearbox mans help, and part stripped boxes he wont touch with a barge pole if he's any sense
are there not people like that on "Earth" were you live.
Geo

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Off a 2.5 disal

Yes Talbot 2.5 diesel Engine & box(removed with suspected cracked cylinder head).
Plus a whole load of other Talbot bits. Rear axle, Front suspension legs,Steering rack,column, etc. etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Whilst I admire your attempt at a re build I have to ask the question have you tried and tested the doner box
Have you the know how to identify worn but still serviceable as opposed to worn beyond use.
most fully skilled mechanics have not got that skill
should hate to see you waste time and money on Gaskets seals bearings etc only for it to be unsatisfactory
as an example our local gearbox man would charge about £150-£200 plus parts to make a good one out of two OR £50 to tell you parts wont interchange or its all scarp!! so even we leave such tasks to those that know best
Bell housing swop and fit box complete would be my advice, go any deeper and you might need a gearbox mans help, and part stripped boxes he wont touch with a barge pole if he's any sense
are there not people like that on "Earth" were you live.
Geo
I have it on good athority that the doner box is good and have fund sumeone to make one frome the two I tane onbord what you have posted and taken your advice it will be backdroping it off tomorrow it will be back Tuesday thanks @Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hope it works out well for you Bill.
God Loves a Trier
and according to your missus your very trying:D

images.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now you can relax and enjoy your weekend instead of getting covered in gunge and oil Bill.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The good news is I could be back today so spend a few hrs over the weekend puting it all back together

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Good luck with it Bill.. I have little doubt you will have it up and running by tea time ! (y)
Just got it back fitted new cluch last year but orderd new one any way luk one will not be her till Monday with work and visiting jay's mummy won't get it done till next week I would think

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back