Travel with water tank full or empty? (1 Viewer)

MandM

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
Inland Waterways
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2015
We have a couple of 10 litre water bottles that we use when travelling. Leaving the on board fresh water tank empty between stops. While in France we were advised by a fellow UK MH driver that he travels with the tank full for better stability. We also watched a large Concord owner (German) fill his two huge water tanks before departing....

Now this did not seem a sensible option to me. Less weight seemed to be the way to go especially as it might compromise the vehicle weight limit.

Thoughts please?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It depends where we are going to be stopping next. If we know we can get water we will probably travel half full, if we are going to an unknown place or intend to park somewhere we will have the tank full and two 10ltr water carriers and any 5ltr water bottles we might have knocking around.

Another good bit of advice we had was to not count on the Aires in winter having the water turned on, or even in the summer as things can change since the Aires book was printed, hence we always travel at least half full.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Always full. Some people cannot as they have very low payload and so carrying full water is an issue.
Some choose not to carry water because the extra weight will cost more in fuel.! But when you do the maths it's so small I wonder why they bother but everyone has a choice. You do what suits you and your style of traveling.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have a couple of 10 litre water bottles that we use when travelling. Leaving the on board fresh water tank empty between stops. While in France we were advised by a fellow UK MH driver that he travels with the tank full for better stability. We also watched a large Concord owner (German) fill his two huge water tanks before departing....

Now this did not seem a sensible option to me. Less weight seemed to be the way to go especially as it might compromise the vehicle weight limit.

Thoughts please?

It was good advice. Don't see why it doesn't seem sensible, motorhomes are designed with water and waste tanks included.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I log our fuel consumption and can see no difference in consumption full or empty.
A few mph of head wind makes much more difference than full (170 litres) tanks.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I must be the exception here, but only what we need dependent on where were heading. Cannot really see the need to lug water about if you can fill up at next stop or destination.

Good idea to check weight on weighbridge before making your decision.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I must be the exception here, but only what we need dependent on where were heading. Cannot really see the need to lug water about if you can fill up at next stop or destination.

Good idea to check weight on weighbridge before making your decision.

Your choice of course but you don't know you can fill up at next stop or destination.Many times our plans have changed en route. Isn't it better to know you have water rather than hope you can get some. What happens if you arrive at an air where the water is tuned off or broken.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Depends where we are going but generally it's a compromise and we travel half full from home - or what is in the tank when we leave if it's more than half full.

If Britstopping or wilding the tank would be filled :) as and when possible.

I have found that many places will let you fill a small (say 5 litre) container for free if you ask nicely. And if you offer to pay you may be allowed to fill a tank at a marina (canal or marine) or a garden centre. :)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We met some folk on a Caravan Club site who went to great lengths to explain to us why they always travel empty. The reason was at home where they had a water meter it cost them money to fill up so as water was inclusive with the pitch fees they always filled up on arrival. :)

Being at heart a survivalist I always travel with everything full which should be full and everything empty which should be empty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Be interesting to know how many that travel full have a 3500kg van as 100lt of water is as you know 100kg which eats a huge amount of payload and could well take it over the gvw.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Why carry 120lts (100kg ish) or more of water - thats like having 1 or 2 people in the rear and thats lowers your MPG. We carry 10lts and only fill up of we are not moving for a few days or using shower also dump grey waste before driving.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Agree with Reallyretired, always fill fresh water to ensure I have availability when I want it and to avoid pouring fresh water down the drain (not good for the environment) but also take every opportunity to empty grey waste and toilet.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back