Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2014
My recently purchased Autotrail Arapaho has a Waeco ECW-012VS inverter and an ECL-102 charging current distributor.
The output voltage only shows 188 volts when checked with a multi meter at the 230 volt output socket.
The battery voltage seems fine at 12.7 volts (vehicle stationary).

I want to purchase a Dometic roof air conditioning unit as the previous owner has removed the existing unit prior to sale, but first I need the inverter working correctly.

Can anyone advise possible reasons why the inverter output voltage is low.

Many thanks,

Kenny M :dance2:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I want to purchase a Dometic roof air conditioning unit
I don't want to try & teach my grandmother, but are you sure your battery bank is up to providing the power you will need to run it from the inverter rather than a site EHU? Air conditioners are notoriously power hungry.

Can't help with the inverter problem, I'm afraid, other than to say that it just might be a problem with the multimeter. Have you checked what it reads on another known good 230v supply?

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Have you checked your battery voltage at the connections to the inverter? Just to eliminate any bad connections between your battery and the inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Faulty inverter.
The output voltage is pre determined at manufacture.
The 12v low voltage cutoff is set at 10.5v under load and above that voltage will provide 240v (230v)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Dometic roof air conditioning unit will draw 166+ amps, so you will need a bank of 800amps+ of batteries (you can only use 400amps before they are down to 50%)to drive it from an inverter, which must be able to supply 3000watts pure sine wave. Then there is the cables between batteries and inverter which must be up to the standard to draw that amperage!

Cheaper to pay site fees and use EHU................

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummm.. At 166 amps you would need to hook up to a small substation with 1" thick cables !!!
Just been on the Dometic site and while I admit I never checked every model, most seem to have a current draw of about 4 to 5 amps

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
My recently purchased Autotrail Arapaho has a Waeco ECW-012VS inverter and an ECL-102 charging current distributor.
The output voltage only shows 188 volts when checked with a multi meter at the 230 volt output socket.
The battery voltage seems fine at 12.7 volts (vehicle stationary).

I want to purchase a Dometic roof air conditioning unit as the previous owner has removed the existing unit prior to sale, but first I need the inverter working correctly.

Can anyone advise possible reasons why the inverter output voltage is low.

Many thanks,

Kenny M :dance2:

I had a Waeco inverter (can't recall the model number) and it went into 'standby' mode when no call for 230 volt power. It may be that yours is in standby mode, when I believe it puts out a lower voltage until there is a call for power. I suggest you try it with a load - within its capabilities - before assuming it is faulty.

HTH

Dave

EDIT I note you are a read only funster and have made you five free posts. You will need to subscribe before you can post again - well worth it though.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ummm.. At 166 amps you would need to hook up to a small substation with 1" thick cables !!!
Just been on the Dometic site and while I admit I never checked every model, most seem to have a current draw of about 4 to 5 amps

Does he perhaps mean 166A from the batteries?

4-5A @ 230V is just over 1kW which would be 88-95A @ 12V. If it's a 2kW unit there's your 166A.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Proly.. But as John is a clever bugger I aint gonna cutr him ANY slack at all !!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
John (@Jaws), thanks for the "clever bugger":) bit...... I had this fitted:
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/dometic-b2200-air-con.116529/
I removed beginning of this year (still up for sale) because we mostly go without EHU and having tested it on an inverter can confirm it will eat the amps being a 2kW unit and not really suitable for running on batteries unless your mobile at the time and have a B2B fitted to keep up.
Air Con is great, if you have pets or live in a country that has sun wall to wall all year.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does he perhaps mean 166A from the batteries?

4-5A @ 230V is just over 1kW which would be 88-95A @ 12V. If it's a 2kW unit there's your 166A.
But only if its drawing its max 2kw.
1kw will draw half that and 500w will be half of the 1kw draw.....plus any losses.

But as the op needs to know why only 188volts rather than 230volts this is not the issue.
7nput volts have no effect on output volts providing the input doesn't drop below the inverters low volt cutoff of 10.5volts....then there is no output.
Still convinced the inverter is faulty.

OP
OP
Kenny M

Kenny M

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all the replies so far.

"Doctor Dave", you're a genius. Plugged one of those cassette type coffee machines into the inverter and immediately got 235 volts reading on my multimeter!
"Don Quixote", I'm interested in your Dometic 2200. I live near Albox, Andalusia. Please PM if the unit is still for sale.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The meter is designed to measure pure sine wave RMS. The inverter output is nearer square wave. I haven't bothered to check whether that could explain the reading you get. Has anyone else put a meter on a similar inverter?

OP
OP
Kenny M

Kenny M

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2014
don Quixote - offer emailed

OP
OP
Kenny M

Kenny M

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2014
Replied again to your PM.The email address is something like "jim@ motorhomefun". Should I use a different address? Please PM if you have another email address.

Regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had a Waeco inverter (can't recall the model number) and it went into 'standby' mode when no call for 230 volt power. It may be that yours is in standby mode, when I believe it puts out a lower voltage until there is a call for power.
bang on the money..

an inverter won't put out full voltage with 'no load' connected

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Replied again to your PM.The email address is something like "jim@ motorhomefun". Should I use a different address? Please PM if you have another email address.

Regards
Start a conversation with me by clicking on my aviator and I will reply witk personal email as I have not received a PM from you!

OP
OP
Kenny M

Kenny M

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2014
Started a conversation with you via your AVATAR.
I don't know whether I using this new forum incorrectly to respond to PM's. Here's my email. If I don't here from you then I guess I'll forget my offer. henry8@hotmail.com
Regards

Kenny M

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back