Is the Motorhome 'phenomenon' drifting south? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
We all note that MH sales and ownership are rapidly growing these days. However, when I joined MHF a short 3 years ago, you could draw a line north of Watford, scribe a semi-circle line round to Devon and (with a few exceptions) most of the motorhomers seemed hail from north of those points. Certainly in this county - Essex - it was rare to find more than a handful of Funsters.Yorkshire, Lancs, East Anglia, the North East and Scotland were well represented. Sorry if I haven't mentioned your county!

Ok, so there may be loads closeby that are not on MHF but it does seem that Motorhomes are springing up more and more down here. There are four new ones within a mile of me alone!

Is it suddenly 'cool' to own one? Has the snobbishness against caravanning, camping and hence motorhoming declined in Southerners? Is it perhaps the high pressure city that makes Southerners crave the outdoorsy life? Is it the media exposure that makes it cool? I notice that nearly everyone on the TV programme 'The Chase' seems to want to spend their prize money on a 'camper'.

There's lots of interest in my van when it's parked outside. Complete strangers stop and ask questions about the lifestyle...... "Where do you go in it?" and "What about going to the toilet" and "How much to the gallon does it do" are the most popular questions. Most follow this up by talking about going camping when they were young and how much they enjoyed slumming it.

Is this JUST a southern phenomenon? Or is it general throughout the country?

I think I will start telling folk that it's very expensive and a crap lifestyle. Otherwise, (in the words of David Cameron), we'll be 'swamped by them' :D

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Got to say I subscribe to a Lotus Car Forum called SELOC ( primarily attended by SE Lotus owners ) where I got dogs abuse for owning a MH.
The usual stuff , Itinerant, council house on wheels etc

HOWEVER.......... a growing number are buying motorhomes and guess what .........

MOTORHOMING IS NOW THE COOLEST HIPPEST LEISURE ACTIVITY SINCE COKE AND HOOKERS !

So yep I reckon the southern softies are getting a taste for it :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Huh!! ! Some map that is . I'm not even there, and Dover is only a small town. Shunter is there where AM I? Have I done summat wrong? AND I have to put up with a load of you lot going passed my door without waving.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Huh!! ! Some map that is . I'm not even there, and Dover is only a small town. Shunter is there where AM I? Have I done summat wrong? AND I have to put up with a load of you lot going passed my door without waving.

Have you asked to be put on the map, if not you won't be on there!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Huh!! ! Some map that is . I'm not even there,

I started the member map and for several years kept it up to date.. adding members when they asked ..
There used to be a link 'Member Map' and a thread to ask for inclusion ..

Recently Jim decided the map was out of date, not fit for purpose and won't be fixing the link ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I did say sorry if I missed out your county; sorry to all the Kent folk!

Thanks for the map link Jim, BUT I hardly ever saw an MH around here, now they are in the next street!

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
There are more and more popping up in Eastbourne - some old, some new ones. A neighbour has ordered one which he expects to pick up in April.
Driving back from Devon yesterday (Friday) we had never seen so many heading south!

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
@scotjimland Glad you told me - I had it on my list to tell you we were moving from our Norfolk home (close to Sea Palling) to our new place in Suffolk.

It was a good map Jim but I guess with so many members some of the flags must be sitting on top of each other (figuratively speaking!)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Got to say I subscribe to a Lotus Car Forum called SELOC ( primarily attended by SE Lotus owners ) where I got dogs abuse for owning a MH.
The usual stuff , Itinerant, council house on wheels etc

HOWEVER.......... a growing number are buying motorhomes and guess what .........

MOTORHOMING IS NOW THE COOLEST HIPPEST LEISURE ACTIVITY SINCE COKE AND HOOKERS !

Wow...are they on the accessory list when you buy a Lotus? :whatthe:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I think motorhome sales are up 201% on last year, and I expect it's because people can now spend their pensions...

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
It seems that motorhome sales declined from 2007-2011. So I would assume that, given an increase in funding ability, at the very least a certain amount of catch-up is being experienced. The more there are, the more visible they become, the more acceptable and attractive they will be. Without a strong economic deterrent I imagine that sales will only continue to increase with a consequent knock-on effect on facilities. An increasingly older population, unshackled from the constraints of employment and with little left to spend their savings on (and those savings attracting hardly any interest), will find that their desire to travel and explore can now be addressed - in comfort, without time limitations, and without having to rely on inconvenient or unhygienic roadside facilities.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back