Full time insurance Poll (MK.2) (1 Viewer)

I am fully insured, the insurance company are fully aware of my circumstances

• Yes

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Uncertain

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Following on from the other full timing thread ..

with good reason, few full timers care to comment on how or who they are insured with, so I am not going to ask for any comments but if you full time can you please vote in the poll .. ?

Only Full Timers please..

How do you respond to this statement >>>

I am confident I am fully insured, the insurance company are fully aware of my circumstances and in the event of a claim wouldn't fear an investigation.

Last edited:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Jim,

I voted NO, but I can honestly say that my insurance company are fully a where of my circumstances from the questions they asked.

If they had asked out right, "Do you or are you intending to full time?" then errrrr :whistle: I honestly don't know what I'd have said.

Mick

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Come on, don't be shy .. it's a totally anonymous poll ..

Honest .. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

with good reason, few full timers care to comment on how or who they are insured with, so I am not going to ask for any comments but if you full time can you please vote in the poll .. ?

How do you respond to this statement >>>

I am confident I am fully insured, the insurance company are fully aware of my circumstances and in the event of a claim wouldn't fear an investigation.

Jim, are we talking about the house or the M/H?

Doug...

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

I know this might be regenerating a number of threads but the term 'full timer' to me is someone who is living ie eating sleeping showering etc etc 24/7/365 in there chosen RV regardless of whether or not they own 1 house or a string of houses should not matter ??? Otherwise you are setting glass ceilings

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I know this might be regenerating a number of threads but the term 'full timer' to me is someone who is living ie eating sleeping showering etc etc 24/7/365 in there chosen RV regardless of whether or not they own 1 house or a string of houses should not matter ??? Otherwise you are setting glass ceilings

:Cool: Not necessarily so. For instance. I am a Full-timer, own houses and have not showered in the RV or Motorhome for 3 years. We DO however ALWAYS sleep in either our RV or Motorhome. The majoriy of the time (80% mas o minus) we also EAT in the RV or Motorhome. How do I vote?

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
:Cool: Not necessarily so. For instance. I am a Full-timer, own houses and have not showered in the RV or Motorhome for 3 years. We DO however ALWAYS sleep in either our RV or Motorhome. The majoriy of the time (80% mas o minus) we also EAT in the RV or Motorhome. How do I vote?

John,

I would say, If your insurance company knew the above would they still cover you and if you put in a BIG several thousand claim?

Mick

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
John,

I would say, If your insurance company knew the above would they still cover you and if you put in a BIG several thousand claim?

Mick

:Sad: We had 2 accidents in our first RV the 1988 Coachmen Classic 32ft. No questions asked. But they DID change the fact that they no longer would insure RV's. :ROFLMAO:

:Doh: Another point is that we DO NOT stay in the RV for 12 months. We use the commuter for the time in the UK. So you could say we are NOT Full-timers?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think the real question is .did you tell the insurance co. you were of no fixed abode and have no contact address. that would surely be a full timer. also i,m going to stay away from uk n not return to mot /tax my vehicle.that would cause a problem i,m sure.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Not sure exactly how Jim sees it as he's offline at the moment, but owning of a property to rent out whilst fulltiming does seem to be a bit of a 'sticky point'.

Don't know much about the legalities of owning rented property other than as landlord you are responsible for all maintenance etc. But as you are not living in that property, how can it be possible to declare that as your UK residential address? And apparently this is the very fine line which insurance companies set when people wanting to fulltime (24/7 365 days a year), apply for a policy.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
i think the real question is .did you tell the insurance co. you were of no fixed abode and have no contact address. that would surely be a full timer. also i,m going to stay away from uk n not return to mot /tax my vehicle.that would cause a problem i,m sure.
That is how i define fulltiming. Someone who has totally cut ties to any form of accommodation other than their mh/rv.

As for tax/mot you have no choice other than to return anually to the UK to MOT the vehicle. Tax can be done online but unfortunately not an MOT!

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:RollEyes: That's what I keep telling everyone. I HAVE 2 HOUSES that I rent out to family. So HOW DO I VOTE? I am NOT of NO FIXED ABODE, but I DO live in an RV and a Motorhome. :Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i didnt mean to direct the question to you personally it was a general question.But as a landlord you would i imagine be registered with the inland revenue so is not an address necesary for tax returns. also your english registration for vehicles. i wonder how long it will be before the spanish etc authority start uplifting english reg vehicles not currently taxed. i did hear its already started in the malaga province.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Thanks for your thoughts and input ..

I appreciated it's a complex question, but whether you own property or not, if you consider yourself full time you can answer ..

If you live for several weeks or months at home then it really doesn't apply.. you are not full time and should have no insurance issues.

Jim

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp

I would definately say you are full timers - will not go too deeply into the Showering bit:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - my point was looking at the different threads on this forum and others there seem to be a number of people who say you are not full timing if you still own bricks and mortar and personally I cannot see how this affects whether you are a full timer or not - everyones circumstances are different as has been proved many times and therefore full timing should be if you are living in it 365 days per year and not popping home for a couple of months

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Full Time Insurance

Hi Jim.

We have our m/h and toad on the same policy, had an interesting discussion with agent, when we talked about using an A frame to tow the toad....all was well.

Our property insurance is with the same company/agent, and our correspondence address for both policies is a different address.

They know our full time situation, and when we had to make a claim in 07, it went through without any problems.

Nomadic:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
i concider fulltiming as having cut ALL tyes with bricks and mortor.If you have a postal address with a letterbox you are not fulltime in my eyes.The problems only start when you dont have the letterbox.We live in the RV most of the year but I dont consider myself as fulltime becouse I dont have anywhere near the problems a fulltimer has.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
i concider fulltiming as having cut ALL tyes with bricks and mortor.If you have a postal address with a letterbox you are not fulltime in my eyes.The problems only start when you dont have the letterbox.We live in the RV most of the year but I dont consider myself as fulltime becouse I dont have anywhere near the problems a fulltimer has.

Now that is intriguing because we own property which is our get out of jail card if needed but for the last 13 months we have lived exclusively in an RV and plan to for at least a further 5 years - we have no way of immediately going back into a house - it would take up to 6 months to achieve if needed and in real terms I can see little difference in owning property and hoping its OK and the value staying good compared with selling all up and putting the money in a bank and hoping it earns some interest So based on your thoughts what am I if not a full timer.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi landy i can only ask where is your vehicle registered +driving lic,as you work from it is it on the bussiness ins?..of course i realize you may not wishto answer these questions and you could say i am being abit cheeky asking . do you register to no fixed abode.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
hi landy i can only ask where is your vehicle registered +driving lic,as you work from it is it on the bussiness ins?..of course i realize you may not wishto answer these questions and you could say i am being abit cheeky asking . do you register to no fixed abode.

Without going too deep into it the business address works well and daughter completes the circle - provided you can show a postcode thats viable who says whos letterbox it is ??

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we do understand .thats exactly why some quiestions are asked . you need an address to be acceptable. i can only wish you well and keep weaving the web.no harm meant.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Not sure of the current situation but when we considered renting our house out & living almost full time in the van (we also part own one of our daughters house) we asked Comfort about how we would stand. We were told that as our main home was rented out they would consider we were full timing & should pay a much higher premium.

With insurance they aren't really concerned about what you put down until you claim & if it is for a large amount they will try to look for reasons not to pay out.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Now that is intriguing because we own property which is our get out of jail card if needed but for the last 13 months we have lived exclusively in an RV and plan to for at least a further 5 years - we have no way of immediately going back into a house - it would take up to 6 months to achieve if needed and in real terms I can see little difference in owning property and hoping its OK and the value staying good compared with selling all up and putting the money in a bank and hoping it earns some interest So based on your thoughts what am I if not a full timer.
My wife and I have a combined period of 15 years doing what you are doing and we have never concidered ourselves as fulltime becouse we still have a letterbox X 2.The main reason being,in 15 years NO ONE has bean able to come up with a solution to NOT having a letterbox.I have watched several of these posts avidley for several years on verious forums and they all wishywash around the subject,but not once has anyone come up with the solution of NO LETTERBOX.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
My wife and I have a combined period of 15 years doing what you are doing and we have never concidered ourselves as fulltime becouse we still have a letterbox X 2.The main reason being,in 15 years NO ONE has bean able to come up with a solution to NOT having a letterbox.I have watched several of these posts avidley for several years on verious forums and they all wishywash around the subject,but not once has anyone come up with the solution of NO LETTERBOX.

That is the problem in this life you have to have a postcode and a letterbox otherwise you cannot exist - all the basics of life revolve around that fact - passport / driving license / tax / pension / bank / vehicle reg / insurance / junk mail / credit cards / health care etc etc - nothing can happen so really the dream of someone to disappear totally off the radar just cannot happen. If you do not tax - mot - insure you will get stopped - with all the ANPR cameras proliferating its a certainty and they have the power of seizure and you will lose your rig. If you get stopped for a moving traffic offence and your documents do not tie up on all details you will get arrested until they are satisfied on all counts.

I bet you could not even get buried without a postcode - I have not tried that one yet !!!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That is the problem in this life you have to have a postcode and a letterbox otherwise you cannot exist - all the basics of life revolve around that fact - passport / driving license / tax / pension / bank / vehicle reg / insurance / junk mail / credit cards / health care etc etc - nothing can happen so really the dream of someone to disappear totally off the radar just cannot happen. If you do not tax - mot - insure you will get stopped - with all the ANPR cameras proliferating its a certainty and they have the power of seizure and you will lose your rig. If you get stopped for a moving traffic offence and your documents do not tie up on all details you will get arrested until they are satisfied on all counts.

I bet you could not even get buried without a postcode - I have not tried that one yet !!!

Exactly right.
you cannot be a legal full timer without an address... I have tried and it's not possible, you can stay one jump ahead, bend the rules, lie by omission, but you are always worried that one day you will be pulled in at the next ferry crossing or border check where you could be found out.. this leads to stress and it's the main reason we decided to give up. Maybe ten or twenty years ago it was possible.. but not now.. technology is everywhere..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Exactly right.
you cannot be a legal full timer without an address... I have tried and it's not possible, you can stay one jump ahead, bend the rules, lie by omission, but you are always worried that one day you will be pulled in at the next ferry crossing or border check where you could be found out.. this leads to stress and it's the main reason we decided to give up. Maybe ten or twenty years ago it was possible.. but not now.. technology is everywhere..
Thanks Jim,Thats the nail I have been hamering at for years.No one can come up with a solution.When they can I will be the first to give up my letterbox.:thumb:

TishF650

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Funster No
Exp
1st year
So surely the message is: don't rage against the system, understand it, work within "their rules" and make those rules work for you.

If we can do that (which we can) then live in the van and enjoy it without worrying about the labels that people put on us.

Chris

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So surely the message is: don't rage against the system, understand it, work within "their rules" and make those rules work for you.

If we can do that (which we can) then live in the van and enjoy it without worrying about the labels that people put on us.

Chris

Hi Chris

How ?

I've never 'raged' against the 'system' I've tried as you suggest .. I certainly never worried about labels.. I've been called all sorts, mostly in fun.. don't bother me.. but you can't bury your head in the sand .. well, not for ever.

The 'system' doesn't allow you to be outside it ..

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
As far as I'm aware my insurance company has me fully covered, but as with any policy, you never really know till you make a claim.
I recently phoned them for a cover note for the replacement van and they stated that details would be sent to my " care of address ". So my situation is clearly on their records.

Pete:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back