French Aires, How Does One Approach Them? (1 Viewer)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
This question is mainly for those RVers who tow a car using an 'A' frame and therefore know that you cannot reverse when towing with a 'A' frame.

In general do find several signs directing you to an Aire or just the one immediately at the aires entrance?

On arrival does one of you walk down aires access lane or road to checkout the aires size and if there is a suitable sized vacancy for your outfit, or do you drive in and hope for the best?

Thanks

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This question is mainly for those RVers who tow a car using an 'A' frame and therefore know that you cannot reverse when towing with a 'A' frame.

In general do find several signs directing you to an Aire or just the one immediately at the aires entrance?

On arrival does one of you walk down aires access lane or road to checkout the aires size and if there is a suitable sized vacancy for your outfit, or do you drive in and hope for the best?

Thanks

Mick

Sometimes there are several signs directing you though a town or village, others only have one at the entrance.. so it's pot luck and they are easily missed.

I NEVER approach a strange aire without walking in first.. and if the approach road looks iffy, stop before you are beyond the point of no return.. Jan has walked many miles this way :roflmto:

Some of the best aires we have been to were recommended by fellow travellers..

If you have a toad it's a great way to find new aires..

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Every one is different, some very small, I have been on one that was only big enough for one small van, or very big were 40 or 50 vans can park.

The is plenty of information on the aires but most of it is in French but it is possible to get all the information you need before you arrive.

Do you have a navigator in the van or even a laptop? if so you can get all you need that way.

If you come back with more info on your circumstances you will get specific answers.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MicknPat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I just wish that more of the Aires guides would indicate on the size of a particular aire, in my opinion a photo is the best particularly if there already is an American RV parked up :thumb:

Secondly like you say word of mouth or via a forum BUT that is only of use if you know the size of the motor home that the person who recommends it has unless they state that the aire is capable of accommodating up to 40ft RVs or something like that.

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I just wish that more of the Aires guides would indicate on the size of a particular aire, in my opinion a photo is the best particularly if there already is an American RV parked up :thumb:

Secondly like you say word of mouth or via a forum BUT that is only of use if you know the size of the motor home that the person who recommends it has unless they state that the aire is capable of accommodating up to 40ft RVs or something like that.

Mick

Mick

That is why I started the Google Map .. all the aires/sites listed are RV suitable, where there is a length restriction that has been included.. that doesn't mean you will get in if it's busy.. especially with a toad... but unfortunately, many Rvers seem a bit reticent about submitting entries. .. such is life..

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Mick

if you know the Aire you are going on Ask I am sure if anybody in fact everybody that as been on the site, I know would gladly tell you if you can get on with the RV, towing no problem...in fact I have just put a thread on of a aire near Calais that will take RV and towing, would be no problem.

Mel in France

penny

Free Member
Aug 18, 2009
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
toad

Hi sorry to be so dim but what is a toad? presumably the amphibious sort wont help me to find an aire. penny

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi if you load the POI's into google earth you can zoom in on any that you fancy to see if it looks suitable, a lot of France is now in high res. so you will get a good idea, you will also know if the POI is correct.

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Mick load it into a program like Poiedit, free download here: PoiEdit - Main and save it as a .kml file to your desktop, click on it and it will fire up google earth and display them. That's assuming you have google earth installed. ::bigsmile:

You can also import a .kml into google maps, but it doesn't handle large numbers of POI's very well, anything over 100 takes time to load, and is maybe on two pages.

If its a problem for any reason I can email the ccinfos .kml to you.

Olley

penny

Free Member
Aug 18, 2009
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
toad

whoops obvious to everyone but me then; we only have bikes not the same at all, so towed never crossed my conciousness. penny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back