Huawei MiFi advice please ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
t seems there are many of these Huawei MiFi devices.

We have one that is about 3 years old now and of the more basic variety. Looking on Ebay there are many newer and perhaps larger ones out there and it leads me to thinking about an upgrade.

Problem for me is I have no understanding of all the numbers they quote. There is this or that upload or download speed often given in different numbers or values. I cant fathom them out at all.

In short can anyone tell me which would be the best one to get ? Would like one that works as fast as is possible.

Thanks !

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Only reason you would need to upgrade is if your MIFI is only 3G and you have a 4G sim card and signal. You having problems with it?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Only reason you would need to upgrade is if your MIFI is only 3G and you have a 4G sim card and signal. You having problems with it?

No none. I was just looking to upgrade to a unit if it gets better signal and works faster. Other than that the old one seems to be working just fine.

This is the one we have just now
Broken Link Removed

I have seen this one.
Broken Link Removed

Its just knowing if there is a gain between the two. Being dyslexic means Im really struggling with what all those numbers mean and if they mean a gain in getting signal in poor areas or if at all. Plus the speed at which they work ?

Cheers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You'll only get a better signal by using a good external aerial. If your current MiFi has an aerial connection it is worth getting an aerial for it and then give it a try.

I recently replaced my older MiFi with a new one so I could plug a 4g aerial into it. These aerials have two aerial connection leads and it seems much better than the old setup I had. 4g is a lot faster than 3g but I've found you don't get a 4g signal everywhere but it still works well on 3g. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the precise specification in terms of speed as the biggest factor is how good reception is and for that you need a good aerial.

The bits I bought were:

Amazon product ASIN B00DN3J03O
Amazon product ASIN B011YM0OXU

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Wow, £189 for a MIFI I'm shocked. I would stick with what you have. 4G is the fastest speed available. Some mifi units compatible with 4G this means it will work but at a slower speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You'll only get a better signal by using a good external aerial. If your current MiFi has an aerial connection it is worth getting an aerial for it and then give it a try.

I recently replaced my older MiFi with a new one so I could plug a 4g aerial into it. These aerials have two aerial connection leads and it seems much better than the old setup I had. 4g is a lot faster than 3g but I've found you don't get a 4g signal everywhere but it still works well on 3g. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the precise specification in terms of speed as the biggest factor is how good reception is and for that you need a good aerial.

The bits I bought were:

Thanks ! That helps a lot !

My old unit does not have an external ariel socket .. I know this cos I took it to the NEC show and asked the fella on a stand that supplies ariels.

Is you ariel set up inside or outside the van ?

If 4G is not availlable does the MiFi unit automatically go onto 3G ?

It seems the way forward is to get a new device with an ariel socket and find the best ariel I can get. I dont mind spending a few quid on this as its all transferable stuff and I do like surfing the net while we are away.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Problem for me is I have no understanding of all the numbers they quote. There is this or that upload or download speed often given in different numbers or values. I cant fathom them out at all.
I don't think that the model numbers themselves have any particular significance. They are just names, in effect.

While there will be differences between different models as to the maximum speed they are capable of, it is the network that you connect to that has the biggest effect on download speed.

The networks transmit at three different speeds - 2G, 3G & 4G, each one faster than the last (G standing for Generation). Not all speeds are available everywhere, because as each new generation comes along, the networks have to upgrade their equipment & they start in the most densely populated areas. When they install the new kit, they don't remove the old, so if your equipment isn't new enough to receive 4G, it can still receive 3G in the same area. There are still some areas where only 2G is available, unless you try to connect to the 3 network, because 3 never had any 2G kit.

Almost all new kit that you buy now will have 4G capability, unless you are buying old stock being sold cheap on eBay or similar. You won't always be able to receive at 4G speeds, but where it isn't available, it will drop back to 3G.

As you move from place to place, the actual speed will vary according to how far you are from the nearest mast, how many trees & buildings there are in the way & how many other people are trying to use the same mast.

You can improve the performance of your mifi by connecting an external antenna. In the case of 4G, it actually requires two connections, because a 4G antenna is two in one. It will work fine without an external antenna connected, but in poor signal areas, or from inside a metal box panel van conversion, it will work better if you connect a proper external 4G antenna.

So for maximum speed, look for twin external antenna connections & 4G capability. You can buy the mifi first & see how you get on & then add the antenna later if you find you need it - so long as you have a unit that will accept one.

After that, the differences are just details - how are they charged, how portable is it, how many devices can you connect to it etc.

Oh - and the price of a decent 4G mifi + antenna will always provoke a 'ow much?' response from our friends north of t' umber. :) :whistle:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks ! That helps a lot !

If 4G is not availlable does the MiFi unit automatically go onto 3G
Cheers !
Yes if 3G available, here in Spain I've been on 2G sometimes, never 4G.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

The bits I bought were:

Thanks for the information. Just ordered that combination.. (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the information. Just ordered that combination.. (y)(y)(y)
I don't think you will be disappointed. There was no setting up to do with mine, just bunged the Three sim card in and it worked. The password number to log into its Wi-fi signal is visible on the little lcd screen.

I been normally sticking my aerial on the driver's side window but sometimes when the signal is weak you have to wander around a bit so you can place it facing say to the rear of the vehicle.

There is a free Huawei app you can download to a tablet and this can conveniently show you how strong the signal is and how much data you have used. It isn't essential though.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Two reasons to upgrade first 4G is becoming the norm in many European cities and outside. Second an external aerial is great, I put on mine in the sunroof with a suction pad and wired it into the cab USB Supply so I can use Google maps on the move and campercontact etc on my android radio system.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

The bits I bought were:

Was this post edited after "The bits I bought were:" No info showing on my screen although Charlie seems to have seen it?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Was this post edited after "The bits I bought were:" No info showing on my screen although Charlie seems to have seen it?
No, but if you are using an ad blocker you may not be able to see them. It is the weird way Amazon links appear on the Forum now.

Search on Amazon for a Netgear 6000450 MIMO antenna and the Huawei E5577 MiFi and you should find them. It's then just a question of looking round for the best supplier.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Charlie please tell me you have NOT just paid £189 for a mifi etc!!! That is extortionate!

You should get the one from Carphone Warehouse that I mentioned before for £20 and cancel the contract then get an aerial to go with it, nothing like £189!!!!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie please tell me you have NOT just paid £189 for a mifi etc!!! That is extortionate!

You should get the one from Carphone Warehouse that I mentioned before for £20 and cancel the contract then get an aerial to go with it, nothing like £189!!!!

No I bought the same set up as DBK posted above. Got the MiFi on a lightning sale on Amazon.. Well my son did.. Bought the ariel from Amazon as well .

I went into Carphone warehouse today to just have a look at the devices but they had nowt in store. Not sure I want to be messing around setting up and cancelling contracts..

Edited to remove a thoughtless comment. Apologies.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No I bought the same set up as DBK posted above. Got the MiFi on a lightning sale on Amazon.. Well my son did.. Bought the ariel from Amazon as well .

I went into Carphone warehouse today to just have a look at the devices but they had nowt in store. Not sure I want to be messing around setting up and cancelling contracts.. Fair dos to those that do but if they pulled tricks on us we would complain like hell...
Charlie, I'm sure you don't meant to be offensive but there are no 'tricks being pulled' on Carphone Warehouse by me or anyone else! The deal is a one month contract, that contract is fulfilled by the payment of the first month's fee of £20 and then cancelling - if they didn't expect that to happen they wouldn't do them!

If you want to pay over the odds for a MIFI that's your choice but please don't imply that those of us who don't and get them cheaper in a totally legitimate and above board way are doing something underhand!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie, I'm sure you don't meant to be offensive but there are no 'tricks being pulled' on Carphone Warehouse by me or anyone else! The deal is a one month contract, that contract is fulfilled by the payment of the first month's fee of £20 and then cancelling - if they didn't expect that to happen they wouldn't do them!

If you want to pay over the odds for a MIFI that's your choice but please don't imply that those of us who don't and get them cheaper in a totally legitimate and above board way are doing something underhand!

Mel I was not implying anything... I think CPW assumes the user is going to continue with the contract or they surely would not be making offers like that.

I was not being offensive in any way. But to clarify I can't be bothered setting up a contract just to cancel it straight away .

Tricks was perhaps a bad choice of words and I unreservedly apologise for that.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Mel I was not implying anything... I think CPW assumes the user is going to continue with the contract or they surely would not be making offers like that.

I was not being offensive in any way. But to clarify I can't be bothered setting up a contract just to cancel it straight away .

Tricks was perhaps a bad choice of words and I unreservedly apologise for that.
I'm so old fashioned I wouldn't do what MG is suggesting. I consider it immoral but then I'm a dinosaur! No interest in getting into a discussion about it. You either consider it wrong or you don't. Perfectly legal - both approaches! :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for that Charlie, as I said I didn't think you meant to be offensive anyway. :)

The MIFIs are linked to the sim card they're sold with and no doubt CPW will get 'commission' from the sim provider as well as the £20 for selling the unit, the vast majority of people WILL continue with the contract however when I rang up to cancel, both EE and ID, they were happy to do so without any problems.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I'm so old fashioned I wouldn't do what MG is suggesting. I consider it immoral but then I'm a dinosaur! No interest in getting into a discussion about it. You either consider it wrong or you don't. Perfectly legal - both approaches! :)

No one more old fashioned than me... I can see the situation from both sides. CPW I think are assuming people will continue on when they take these kind of contracts on. If the consumer doesent then the product must surely become a loss leader and they likely won't offer similar in future.

Mel is right though nothing wrong has been done by those who see an open goal and take the opportunity to score a few easy goals..

Me ... Well I really can't be bothered either way.. My son checked out the unit you posted found it at a great price as it was on one of those lightning sales and job done. Given the price paid and the fact it is in Craig's words a top end MiFi device I think I've done better than the one I would have had to contracted into. (y)

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No one more old fashioned than me... I can see the situation from both sides. CPW I think are assuming people will continue on when they take these kind of contracts on. If the consumer doesent then the product must surely become a loss leader and they likely won't offer similar in future.

Mel is right though nothing wrong has been done by those who see an open goal and take the opportunity to score a few easy goals..

Me ... Well I really can't be bothered either way.. My son checked out the unit you posted found it at a great price as it was on one of those lightning sales and job done. Given the price paid and the fact it is in Craig's words a top end MiFi device I think I've done better than the one I would have had to contracted into. (y)
The one you've got is the same 'spec' for the gubbings as the CPW one, the only difference being that it doesn't hav the display panel which, to be honest, you don't need but some people like.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I like the display panel. My old one has a display panel which at a glance tells me the strength of signal being recieved plus the battery charge.

I mount our one up in a permanent position in the van. It's easy to see and works very well. The new one should be better in performance. The display should tell us more and with an external ariel should hold signal very well. Honestly for what I paid it's very good value.
I would have bought the expensive one but Craig reckons it would give virtually no more than the old one currently in the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back